Overwatch won't actually launch PC

OMG it works one time and now the same bug :frowning: game doenst like me

Oh, I think I understand, I just deleted that folder entirely, but will try your method next.

If you have a merged account, you are likely experiencing the first issue.

1 Like

My friend and I are experiencing the same issue as everyone here. We both have updated graphics cards, scanned and repaired, and fully uninstalled and re-installed. Same issue still happening, it wont launch.

2 Likes

I do not have a merged account, and again, there is no error message or hiccup. The game simply will not launch at all. BattleNet says it’s Playing but no OW file runs at all and manually double clicking or running as Admin the OW exe does not open it…

1 Like

We are just going to have to wait. There are plenty of reports unfortunately seeing this thread. It’s annoying because im seeing other friends in game.

My reply was to Wibz, they were able to get the game to launch but are unable to get into a game server. They re-scanned their files and were able to fix things.

1 Like

Well we will be waiting a long time if that’s the case. just doing a quick google search of “Overwatch says playing now but doesn’t launch” brings up threads from 2018. How this is still an issue this many years later is beyond me…

SO I got the game to work. I uninstalled it from my E drive and reinstalled to the C drive and the game launched with no issues.

Well it worked once now back to the same issue of not launching

They have an article on it updated a day ago. Unfortunately it’s the usual “Are your drivers and OS updated? Is your Game settings reset? Have you removed the data folders to make it rebuild? Uninstall and Reinstall, then run repair.”

Which, you know, most of us will have done before we go online.

2 Likes

Hmm OK… just tried renaming the Overwatch folder in Documents and the game now launches - no BSOD…

For anyone still having issues, both my friend and I deleted the antivirus from our system and its now launching. We both are using Sophos Home.

4 Likes

Hmm OK… just tried renaming the Overwatch folder in Documents and the game now launches - no BSOD…

No dice for me - delete directory, rename it, etc. - I get nothing. OW2 launches then 3-4 seconds later it crashes - no error, no message, no nothing. Have tried on C: and G: drives, different paths, etc - no dice.

I’m also using Sophos, just don’t feel like it’s a good idea to delete my anti virus software, wish there was another way out of this

2 Likes

i have no OW folder in documents folder…

the game wont even open, i see it in task manager for few seconds then it disappear.

when checking event viewer i get this:
Faulting application name: Overwatch.exe, version: 2.1.0.40459, time stamp: 0x63387587
Faulting module name: Overwatch-loader.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0xd4ca1152
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000119d050
Faulting process id: 0x4f40
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8d83053c2c50e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Overwatch_retail_\Overwatch.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Overwatch_retail_\Overwatch-loader.dll
Report Id: 571a7daf-a1e8-4e3e-85a3-33671f2d18b0
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

• Windows updated
  • last nvidia driver
  • installed VS++
  • anti virus is disabled
  • reinstalled OW and Battle.net (after manually deleting folders from programdata, programfiles, appdata)

any ideas ?

btw those who have the same issue as me, what CPU do u have?

3 Likes

Funnily enough, this was my first thought and yet I dismissed it because there was no pop-up from Sophos to say it was blocking Overwatch-loader.dll. Just tried it and yup, game launched!

As for why I say Overwatch-launcher.dll, I dug through the Event viewer and found there was a fault being thrown from that library whenever I tried launching the game (just adding this in case it helps devs). It might be possible to whitelist this .dll in Sophos itself for anyone willing to try and unwilling (rightly) to remove their AV.

EDIT: See above for event, courtesy of cRaZyBoY

EDIT #2: Event info:

Faulting application name: Overwatch.exe, version: 2.1.0.40459, time stamp: 0x63387587
Faulting module name: Overwatch-loader.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0xd4ca1152
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000119d050
Faulting process ID: 0x43f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8d82ffedcd226
Faulting application path: C:\Games\Overwatch\_retail_\Overwatch.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Games\Overwatch\_retail_\Overwatch-loader.dll
Report ID: c5c2dbfd-ff77-49fa-b45e-24212d343c40
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:
1 Like

There is, we just went nuclear. I would start putting exceptions in for the BNet folders and OW folders. I would also get specific with the OW.exe file.

That’s Tech Speak for “I have no clue so I’ll blame somebody else’s work.” I just put in my new video card last week and downloaded the latest drivers and I’m stuck in the perpetual loop of trying to log in.

And, before any techs pipe in, don’t try blaming not having the authentication. It’s up and running and my profile says I’m 100% on security.

3 Likes

Uninstalling Sophos also worked for me (just turning off Real Time Protection did not work, I had to actually uninstall it). Thanks for the tip!

disabling sophos (everything, even web protection) and also adding overwatch folder and .exe and .dll to white list did not help…

only uninstalling sophos home did the trick.

This is EXACTLY the error I’m getting - the only thing that’s written is this to “Overwatch.log” in Documents/Overwatch/Logs - I’ve installed on both C: and G: drives just to be sure, same problem with both.

1 Like