Overwatch Streaming Rewards Guide & Troubleshooting - CLOSED

Based on your hour count, my suggestion is to simply keep watching, again I do believe there was some issues with past streams so there is no telling what hours may have actually counted.

1 Like

I got my symm skin almost a week ago, been watching every single game since, and STILL no mercy skin. I’m 100000% certain I’ve watched over 15 hours on a supported browser, in an active window, while logged in, with cache and cookies cleared, with ublock and ghostery disabled, in a valid region(NA), and still nothing. I’ve even tried disconnecting and reconnecting OWL permissions per instructed.

2 Likes

So today I finally got symmetra skins. It’s been days since I hit that mark so a REALLY BAD HUGE delay! I’m glad I got the skins but now I’m waiting on Mercy skins… and I’m even more worried about those since like no one has received them…

Precisely, I was trying to help you and I can only do that with the information I gained from my personal experience with this promotion and from what I’ve read in this thread and the terms of this promotion.

If you don’t care about my advice, that’s fine, but that’s no reason for getting mad at me. I’m sharing my experience for everyone reading this thread since it has also helped me to see what works for other people.

2 Likes

I just got my Mercy! I’m in Canada btw. Thank you everyone and especially Wynoming for helping us as always. Much appreciated champ!

I hope you guys get yours soon. It’s been stressful for sure.

4 Likes

What’s kinda funny, I have yet to earn Mercy, but I might not be doing all of my steps right today (most notably keeping my stream focused in window). But I am not too worried as I have a backup plan I will be putting into action starting tomorrow.

2 Likes

Always glad to help where I can, there are times I wish I could do more for the community.

1 Like

This is such a viewer unfriendly experience with this skin offer. “Just keep watching” is a nice way to further pad stats for viewership while dangling a skin in front of people which may or may not come through.

I’m now well over 20 hours watched, had everything setup including having just the stream tab open and still nothing. Why there’s no info tab in settings either on the website or in game telling you how many hours you’ve watched is beyond me.

I’m like a lot of other people, gotta collect all the skins, but this process is more trouble than it’s worth. Hope the techs dealing with this take onboard the feedback and make it a more viewer friendly experience when it comes to getting these skins.

7 Likes

Exactly the same with me. I’ve done everything that was recommended. Got the sym instantly when I hit 7 hours. Mercy still hasn’t shown up, and it’s upsetting. I hope we get it soon. I’m slowly losing hope

The most frustrating thing is that I got the league tokens for watching OWL… On exactly the same setup. But after hours and hours and hours of watching contenders, not even the Symmetra skin. :frowning:

EDIT: holy smokes… Sym skin just showed up… It’s a miracle! Although how I’m supposed to get another 8+hrs of live stream before the end of Oct for Mercy skin I have no idea :frowning:

There’s like two or three more streams iirc, but I’ve lost a lot of hope towards getting the mercy skin…

There are still 24 hours give or takes of Overwatch broadcasts 29th through 31st.

1 Like

WyomingMyst you’re a gem. I came to the forums to make sure I posted some of this because it’s clear a lot of people are having issues. It’s sad that forum MVPs are doing a better job (and in some ways the only ones doing it) of informing and helping people get useful information than the actual site itself. So don’t take any of the rest as directed at you, I know you’re not responsible for this fiasco or a representative.

But since this is the related thread, I’ll post here instead of making a new one.

• All of this troubleshooting information should be available on the main website in a clear link. It should most definitely be available as a link under the player next to where it says “Restrictions Apply”.

• The video player should have a placeholder when there’s no broadcast so people know that it’s the main website they’re supposed to watch content on. I was initially confused, I was looking for a dedicated video player page on the website since there is no indication of this.

• The schedule is very confusing and in no way makes it clear when the next broadcast is, nor which broadcasts give rewards. We shouldn’t have to come to the forums to get a proper schedule. It’s data that can be formatted multiple different ways on the site itself. However, if they’re unwilling to provide a proper accessible schedule, they should have at least provided the nearest upcoming eligible streams in the post itself.

• The article is insufficient. It doesn’t provide a link to the relevant youtube channel so people know to sub there for notifications, nor does it clarify the owpathtopro twitter account will tweet when streams start. So a lot of people read it and don’t have a clear idea of their options on figuring out when the next broadcast is.

• The article also breaks convention. Overwatch has had many skin promotions and all of those update articles are formatted in a specific way, with clear graphical representations of the rewards, time required and dates. Why break convention here and make it necessary to read the whole thing in detail just to relieve the confusion? Users need specific information, it’s not that hard to figure out what they’re there for when it’s a promotion. Value your user’s time.

• For the record, I don’t think muting the tab, browser, OS etc. has any effect AND IT SHOULDN’T. I’ve been watching with the tab muted in firefox and I got rewards. I also think the requirement posted on the owpathtopro twitter that it must not be on a second screen is also not true. I can’t confirm these for sure as it’s possible chrome acts differently but I have a high degree of confidence from my understanding of browsers and web technologies that it shouldn’t affect things. And again, I’ll repeat this: neither of these should affect tracking time even if it were possible.

• For a lot of people the hours are not compatible with their lifestyle. So some will watch in the background with just the sound on, others will have it muted on a different screen and many will just leave it muted while sleeping (if you’re EU, you know this: the EU contenders matches are late at night, the rest are all during sleep or work hours). Not all content is eligible for rewards. It’s ridiculous to punish people for muting or minimizing the tab.

It’s not like this is a contest for a prize house, it’s just skins that don’t cost anything to deploy. If people can’t devote their full attention to the stream, either TELL THEM that it’s a requirement, or accept that no matter what you do, they won’t anyway. I don’t think that’s asking too much - we know this is intended to increase viewer counts -they’re getting more viewers anyway. If you dangle skins as enticement, people will be there for the skins. By enforcing these rules they’re not making us give in and watch with full attention, they’re just making us either give up on the skins or look for more ways to circumvent the restrictions.

Also, just in case anyone gets any clever ideas, this isn’t an overreaction. The whole point of a promotion like this is to have players take the rewards seriously enough to feel like watching content is warranted, to increase the viewership (both steady viewership and in numbers) and attract attention to the promoted content. To get upset at players who are frustrated because they acted as expected/intended and didn’t get what was promised is an oxymoron.

Please WyomingMyst, if you haven’t already and have their ear, ask them to put a link to this troubleshooting guide you made under the player, on the website and make a placeholder for the player. This way at least some people who haven’t already given up might have a chance at getting the skins this month.

Getting viewership rewards shouldn’t a complicated ritual incantation!

2 Likes

You can say that again! :smile:

There is still hope then…

Also, you’re doing a fantastic job of dealing with all the frustrated users like myself… clearly an asset to this forum, keep it up! :+1::+1:

1 Like

Mercy’s skins are in my Hero Gallery, finally!

:tada: :partying_face: :tada:

1 Like

Technically troubleshooting the streaming promotions is outside of the realm of Blizzard Customer Support as they are more geared to handle account issues (like account lockouts or changes) or technical issues (like disconnections or crashes with the games). So yeah documentation in their support site is going to be limited. Granted when there are major widespread issues, I work with them and with Overwatch community managers to help try to get news where I can (such as the Overwatch League Grand Finals issues happened).

It probably doesn’t provide a link to the YouTube channel because I think it would confuse players thinking watching on YouTube is the right place. Furthermore, there are more than one channel that shows Overwatch Contenders streams. For example the recent South America matches took place on the PlayOverwatch Brazil and PlayOverwatch Spanish channels only. Also, following any of the primary Blizzard twitter accounts gets very “busy” making notifications difficult.

To help with alerting players on these and any type of limited-time rewards, I started an unofficial Twitter feed simply called @dropswatch. This is a handy feed to alert players on when eligible live streams go live, or when there is a key deadline to an event in Overwatch (such as the weekly reward challenges going on right now). If you follow it and turn on notifications, its a great way to track when there is critical events happening with Overwatch.

You are right, it shouldn’t but certain web browsers will actually stop playing a video playback if you are muted and have the page out of focus. This is a technical issue with web browsers, and not so much with the website design itself.

It can be difficult, but I feel great about the latest schedule in terms of drops, there have been matches available at reasonable hours in all major times zones (Asia/Australia, Europe, Americas), granted nothing is perfect for everyone but this is something at the whim of the Esport schedules themselves.

Since I am not a representative for Blizzard, I don’t think it would be inappropriate to have a permanent link directly on their website. Now they do have the link to this thread in a pinned post on the @OWPathToPro Twitter feed which really helps get the word out and I am doing everything within my power here and on Twitter.

No, it shouldn’t and I am working wherever I can to make this as easy as possible for everyone. I am hopeful and confident that Blizzard will work to make this drop system more intuitive over time (for Overwatch League and Overwatch Contenders). In the meantime I am glad that Blizzard Customer Service and Overwatch Community Managers give me a very wide berth to help players.

Again I wish I could do more myself, if I could look up each user one at time and check their progress, I would (but I don’t work for Blizzard). I am communicating with Blizzard where appropriate and sharing a good portion of this feedback and I firmly believe they are watching this thread. Thanks for hearing me out on this. Is the system perfect? No, but I am confident it will continue to improve over time.

3 Likes

Just noticed that the Mercy Contenders skin is now in my gallery!!! :grin:

1 Like

3 Likes

Yey you guys fixed it! :smiley: I’ve watched the stream today and Im sure that I’ve got the 15hrs needed. Now I just need to wait 'cause the xbox takes a long time to receive the skin

1 Like

Alright everyone, I am going to go AFK for a little while, Contenders is done for the night and their is a Rasing Cane’s Caniac Combo out their with my name on it. (I am hungry!)

Again, everyone continue to be patient and remember there are still three very full days of Overwatch Contenders remaining this month. Cheers! (^^)v

2 Likes