Overwatch Racism

Welcome to the Internet.

This problem is not unique to Overwatch.

12 Likes

what?
so you meet a guy being super racist and you don’t do anything for a few minutes?
just mute him and when the round is over report.
I don’t know where you are meeting this influx of racist idiots but you just need to calm down ignore and report.

2 Likes

I mean. I already tried that but its like every other game its s racism fest. I mentioned how reporting does nothing.

I was going to say welcome to the internet but someone already beat me to it

welcome to the internet

1 Like

Happens in all online games. Just mute them and report them and even avoid as teammate.

1 Like

This is why I only turn on coms for the first minute of a match. Its enough time to know how the team will play then I just cut all forums of communication and play.

I hope i get banned too. I mean, youre saying things i already mentioned i did. But this is repetitive. Im black, this game has a crazy amount of hate speech for blacks. We are already not represented very well in OWL. if thats in accordance to skill fine, but it is also used as ammunition when people say you must be a n-word cause i suck and there are no blacks in OWL because they say we are inferior. Why do i have to keep stopping mid match and muting comms or staying out of comms and let people condone being racist? How is that fair

1 Like

That’s pretty vile and unacceptable but I kinda agree with earlier posters. The guy won’t see this post so it won’t really do him any good. And we all already know that that stuff is terrible so :\

Who wont see it? Lol

i agree with you that you shouldn’t have to play alongside abusive voice chats.

I also don’t really have a problem with you throwing the match to punish abusive players?

My only concern is that you don’t TELL them, “Hello, I’m throwing because you’re being racist and abusive.”

If you TELL them, then their frustration with throwing might encourage them to NOT speak abusively on voice chat. But if you just throw without TELLING them, then they have no idea that that’s what motivated your actions.

So just really make sure they’re aware that their abusive behavior made you decide to throw the match. That might be a good way of discouraging their behavior.

1 Like

Report them. Encourage your team to report them. It’s not OK, but the only way to deal with it is to report and hope Blizzard takes action.

1 Like

Reporting does do something, as outlined in the stickied post.

2 Likes

You guys mention encouraging my team to report them, but i mentioned how frequently people join in because they care about winning more than stopping racism and encouraging cohesiveness. Who thinks someone will perform well being under fire constantly by their teammate and then having their teammates join in. Has everyone forgotten morale is part of being a team?

The guy who was spouting the N-word I guess. Actually you know what I really do feel for you. I know a guy in real life who thinks it’s okay to be racist on the internet bc people are somehow less accountable for their words. But I think that’s really stupid and closeminded, like you’re locking yourself in a box that is the internet. But at the same time, over the net you can’t do much to them except rely on the system governing the behavior which in this case is Blizzard

actually i take back my hesitance earlier.

i think throwing to combat abuse, in a way that makes everyone aware that the abuse motivated your throwing, is actually probably a really GOOD strategy to deal with abuse.

1 Like

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

I know how you feel and I feel bad for you OP, but you can’t just ruin the game for 4 other people trying to punish one.
Does racism exist in OW? Yes, and everywhere else too.
The trick is not only reporting and muting racists but not letting them get under your skin. If you show them the least amount of concern for the trash they say then they’ll only continue insulting you.
I also suggest using the “Avoid as teammate feature”

All I can say is that you block em, report em, and move on. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

2 Likes

I’m locking this thread.

OP, I apologize you’ve had those negative experiences. That’s regretful and just not cool. We’d recommend you report the players in-question, mute them, and use the avoid as teammate functionality.

We are taking serious strides internally to mitigate and penalize this type of toxic behavior in-game. If this happens again in the future, please do not throw those games. Alongside toxic behavior, that is also negative player conduct that is not condoned.

Thank you.

12 Likes