Overwatch PTR Patch Notes - May 2, 2019

(Dan Reed) #1

Overwatch PTR Patch Notes – May 2, 2019

A new Overwatch patch is in development and now available for testing! To share your feedback or report any issues, please post in the PTR Feedback or PTR Bug Report forums.

Please note that the below patch notes only include changes currently available for testing on the PTR. While many of these changes may also be available on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in a future patch, the PTR is PC-only and only reflects changes coming specifically to that platform.

Workshop

• Added Actions:
    • Go To Assemble Heroes
    • Start Damage Modification
    • Stop Damage Modification
    • Stop All Damage Modifications
  • Added Values:
    • Eye Position
    • Ray Cast Hit Position
    • Ray Cast Hit Normal
    • Ray Cast Hit Player
    • Event Damage
    • Event Was Critical Hit
    • Last Damage Modification ID
  • Added “Remove From Array By Index” to “Modify Global Variable” and “Modify Player Variable”
  • Increased overall script size limit by 4x
  • Stability improvements

~800mb PTR patch
(Dan Reed) pinned #2

Still no fix to “Disable Built-in scoring system” on TDM mode

What is event damage?

The amount of damage dealt to a player when you’re using a Player Took/Dealt Damage rule.

Event Damage = “The amount of damage received by a victim for the current event being processed”.

So if you wanted to register how much damage you took, that’s how you would get that value

Most important announcement for us who work on larger projects.

Please add a way to tell what map we’re on, using nearest walkable position to tell that is not accurate enough.

Yassss… much needed additions, and seems like a few fixes. Player Variables Arrays seem to be fixed. I think creation of effects at a player rather than PositionOf(Player) work now too.

Did 4x bigger scripts also increase the number of entities/effects allowed before they are prevented from spawning?

Do we have any idea what the limit was before?

no idea, but there were guesses

Don’t know if this is the place to ask/suggest this but will there be a way to track when/if a player reloads? or when/if the player presses the reload key?

I hope we can get something for Temporary Shields or Armor, could use it for a workshop gamemode.

And when a player melees/presses melee button?

Is there someone who has figured out how to use the new “Ray Cast” values? I assumed it would just be the ray to the reticule, but upon selecting “Ray Cast Hit Position” it instead gives me two parameters, Start pos and End pos. For End pos I can’t select “Facing direction”, so my workaround for getting the point under the reticule is to do:
Start pos: Eye Position(player)
End pos: Add(Eye Position(player), Multiply(Facing Direction Of(player), 100))

if you want to learn how to use ray cast, I highly suggestion you to read the documentations on unreal engine on ray casting. They teach you how to use it, and what it is use for. The knowledge you learn from reading it is transferable to using it in the overwatch workshop.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Physics/Tracing

Thanks for the updates! Would it be possible to make the coordinates of the spawn points available? I had to make my own version of this, but it’s a bit buggy. Also is it possible to add more effects to the available “Create Effect” pool? The available ones are pretty limited in what you can do with them.

Thank you for updating this! Would be cool if you could add:

1. Way to tell what map is currently being played
  2. Looping through arrays
  3. Interactable objects that can be spawned (maybe just cubes and balls)
  4. Rectangle effect

Thank you so much! This is very useful as I’ve just run out of Script Size (have been playing on an outdated client) and only now noticed this patch!