Overwatch PTR Patch Notes - July 18, 2018

Healing has to be balanced alongside the healer’s abilities though, you can’t have a healer with one of the most powerful abilities in the game, the ability to manipulate breakpoints, an escape mechanism and self regen also have the same healing output as a character with no escape option, no self heal and a primary healing that is blocked by barriers. My 2 cents.

Of course she has been in the meta for a while. Many of the cast have. Even Reinhardt was a solid pick during Dive. But she wasn’t played for the reason you think she was being played. In Season 9 she was 5th in pickrate in the Tank category overall over all ranks, just over Orisa except Bronze where she goes below Orisa. She gets picked when Reinhardt gets picked. When does Reinhardt usually get picked in GM over Winston? King’s Row/Oasis Uni/Lijang Control… Outside of being a band-aid to Reinhardt, she isn’t that strong at all. Her ult isn’t that strong against Dive because everyone is spread apart and the threat of D.Va matrix and Genji deflect, it’s only strong in deathball scenarios (AKA Rein comps).

Same thing going on right now with her too. She’s not strong. She’s only there because of Hanzo, Dive being removed and the need for Reins big barrier.

On PTR currently, tested in training mode:
all characters, if applicable, gets a reload when they respawn, not sure if they do when ressed by mercy as I haven’t tested, but I suspect they do.

Dva: mech has infinite ammo and “reloading” is not an action that makes sense. mini Dva always spawn with 20/20 ammo, regardless if spawned by using ult or by mech death.
Orisa: ult is to place an object, done over a short animation, she does not get a free reload.
Reinhardt: doesn’t use ammo so “reloading” is not an action that makes sense.
Roadhog: channels ult for a while, during which he attacks with a weapon different from his standard weapon, gets a free reload when the channel finishes, not sure what happens if the channel is interrupted.
Winston: transforms for a while, during which he automatically attacks with a weapon different from his standard weapon, gets a free reload when the ult is used.
Wrecking Ball: ult is to place objects, done over a short animation which takes wrecking ball out of ball form if used in ball form, this does not give a free reload although it is notable that wrecking ball gets a free reload anytime he spends a few seconds (2-3) in ball form, unrelated to ult usage.
Zarya: ult is to throw a projectile, done over a short animation, she does not get a free reload.
Bastion: ult is a transformation, one can accurately describe bastions reload mechanics as: if bastion spends a few seconds (2-3) outside of a particular mode, then that mode gets a free reload. spend 3 seconds in recon? sentry gets a free reload. spend 3 seconds in sentry? recon gets a free reload. spend 3 seconds in tank? sentry and recon gets a free reload.
Doomfist: ult is to jump up, then jump down, doomfist does get fully charged on ammo during the duration of the jump up/fall down animations, even if targeting phase is done as fast as possible, but I see this as doomfists natural reload mechanic, not him getting a “free” reload, because he reloads as the same pace as if he was simply standing still doing nothing.
Genji: transforms for a while, during which he attacks with a weapon different from his standard weapon, gets a free reload when the ult is used.
Hanzo: doesn’t use ammo so “reloading” is not an action that makes sense.
Junkrat: channels the tire for a while, during which his entire moveset is replaced by controlling the tire, gets a free reload by the time he regains control of normal junkrat.
Mccree: gets a free reload when channeling starts, but spends ammo at the end to make shots, if shots are made, after ult is finished, mccree can have any amount of ammo, 0-6.
Mei: ult is to throw a projectile, done over a short animation, she does not get a free reload, although it would be pretty cool if she had a mechanic where her ult keeps reloading her if she stands in its effect, but it does not.
pharah: channels ult for a while, during which she automatically attacks with a weapon other than her standard weapon, gets a free reload when the channel finishes, not sure what happens if the channel is interrupted.
reaper: channels ult for a while, during which he automatically attacks with a weapon other than his standard weapon, gets a free reload when the channel finishes, not sure what happens if the channel is interrupted.
soldier 76: transforms for a while, during which his standard weapon is given bodyshot aimbot, gets a free reload when the ult is used.
sombra: ult is to make a spherical effect, done over a short animation, she does not get a free reload.
symmetra: ult is to place an object, done during a short animation, she does not get a free reload.
torbjorn: transforms for a while, during which his attacks and his turrets attacks are augmented, does not get a free reload although one could argue the point of the ult is to augment the turret, which does not use ammo, also, torbjorn gets a free reload any time he has the hammer equiped for a few seconds (2-3).
tracer: ult is to throw a projectile, done over a short animation, she does not get a free reload, although she does get a free reload whenever she uses recall, regardles of what her ammo was when she recalled or at the time she recalls to.
widowmaker: ult is to augment vision for a while, initiated by a short animation, she does not get a free reload.
ana: ult is to augment an ally for a while, done over a short animation, she does not get a free reload, have not tested having ana augment herself in free for all, but would assume there is no free reload there either.
brigitte: doesn’t use ammo so “reloading” is not an action that makes sense.
lucio: ult is to apply a shield to allies, done over a short animation, he does not get a free reload.
mercy: ult is to augment mercy’s kit, her gun is augmented to have infinite ammo, so the concept of “reloading” loses its meaning, when the ult ends she has 20/20 ammo, also, she gets a free reload any time she spends a few seconds (2-3) using the staff.
moira: doesn’t use ammo so “reloading” is not an action that makes sense.
zenyatta: transforms for a while, during which his kit is replaced, he gets a free reload when he gets his standard kit back.

there appears to be a convention that if you ever switch away from a weapon for a few seconds, then the unequiped weapon gets a free reload.
the seeming inconsistency with torbjorn, him being the only character which does alter his weapon when he ults but never gets any form of free reload can in my mind only be explained in that his weapon is still considered “the same weapon” and as his personal weapon being augmented isn’t really the focus of the ult, it does not need a free reload.
did some testing on torbjorn to see how big of an effect a free reload at the start of ult might have.
when using primary fire starting with an empty clip I managed to use 1 full clip during the duration of the ult (18 shots)
when using primary fire starting with a full clip I managed to use 1 full clip + 4 shots during the duration of the ult (22 shots)
when using secondary fire starting with an empty clip I managed to use 2 full clips during the duration of the ult (12 shots, 36 ammo spent)
when using secondary fire starting with a full clip I managed to use 2 full clips + 1 shot during the duration of the ult (13 shots, 39 ammo spent)

Brigitte voice actor done hers from a studio in sweden

Lucio has equal mobility and self sunstain and easier healing mechanics. Ana has equal or better utility.

Yeah you guys need to stop picking on Mercy. Baggett can literally cancel any ultimate super easily. Moira doesn’t even have ammo and doesn’t have to aim. No ultimates can help the team survive grav dragon except for Zenyatta’s. Reign is incredibly glitchy. All these problems that people complain about yet you guys decide to nerf Mercy Again with a nerf she never even FCKING NEEDED. Fck you Blizzard.

Being a genji main,(sorry being off topic),could we possibly make it that genji can deflect brigettes mace,or possibly speed his dash cooldown?

Exactly. She’s supposed to be a main healer that mostly heals. If other supports can heal just as well and do more then there’s no point in playing her in that regard.

I thought she was designed to be a mixture between Support and Tank? i vaguely remember that in an update video. Could be wrong.

I personally think that they should stop nerfing mercy. She is a SUPPORT hero. Not a damage hero. I still remember questioning why symmetra was a support at first. Back to the topic at hand. Mercy needs to be treated like a support. And by treated like a support, I mean BUFFED IN THE HEALING DEPARTMENT! STOP WITH THE DAMGE BUFFING AND HEALING NERFING! JUST STOP IT BLIZZARD!

Not even remotly true.

Mercy’s mobility is pressing shift while looking at a team mate. Lucio’s mobility takes practice to learn the in’s and outs of. It’s high skill high reward.

Every ability of Ana’s is a skill shot. Her utility is great, it used to arguably be the best in the game and only people with high mechanical skill could utilize it properly. Now Mercy press’ e while moving her mouse back and forth for 2 seconds so she doesn’t get head shot to erase a kill every 30 seconds.

I don’t feel that Mercy is always a must-choose over other support heroes. Although I main Mercy, I always felt other support heroes have a role as important as hers.

In comp, in gold I RARELY see a mercy. It’s always brig/moira. MOST of these changes are completely unneeded.

Nano Boost Heal: UNNECESSARY Nano is powerful enough as is.
Brigitte Nerf: ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY
Doomfist Changes: Neutral. They don’t impact anything.
Hanzo Changes: ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. He’s been way too powerful.
Moira Changes: UNNECESSARY. She’s a must pick and powerful as is in comp.
Lucio Buff: ABSOLUTELY UNNECESSARY. There’s no reason to increase his radius.
Mercy Nerf: ABSOLUTELY UNNECESSARY. She’s barely effective AS IS.
Sombra Buff (hitbox change): Necessary.
Widow Nerf: Absolutely UNNECESSARY. You’re just reverting an old buff that you deemed was needed?
Zarya Buff: DO NOT DO THIS. SHE IS ALREADY A MUST PICK AND MORE DAMAGE OUTPUT IS NOT NECESSARY FROM HER.
Zarya Nerf: YES! DO THIS. ONLY THIS.

I think the Mercy nerf is unnecessary.

Also can you guys clarify if she’s now unable to damage boost hanzo and D.va ult? Like is that a permanent thing now or was it a bug? Anyone know?

omg i dont really understand why youtubers are saying grav-dragon is dead after all the recent patch notes… xD zarya will be the same, she just needs to be smarter, not like they nerfed hanzo anymore then what they have done.

I can’t help but feel like Mercy’s biggest change needed is SOMETHING done to Resurrect. Make it earned! Something! Resurrect on a cooldown feels bad for the enemy AND the Mercy player! I didn’t earn that rez, it was just there. Mercy’s healing output should still be 60hps, and rez needs to be tinkered with instead. Come on Blizzard, I swear this isn’t the right change. Mercy’s must-pick status is because of her super strong rez, not her raw healing output. So long as rez is on a static cooldown, she will always be picked. please do the right thing!

500 hr Sombra here.

That’s not even needed.

Diamond Sombra here. It would be significantly useful

Never needed it myself, as im skilled enough to keep reloaded.

I mean perhaps allow EMP to be cast during reload (I don’t even remember if we can at the moment, as I said, im always reloaded)

Or not allow it to interrupt reload.

My biggest issue is the length of time it takes coming out of stealth is way to long to cast EMP.