Overwatch *needs* a MacOS port

I absolutely 100% agree with you yes it needs to come to the Mac book!

1 Like

On the whole I don’t think it would be worth their effort. I have a mac, but I use it for digital work, not playing games. It’s got next to no free space for games, no cd-drive, and tends to sound like it’s dying anytime I play something on it (mainly just small indy games from steam).

If people want to play large, demanding games, generally they don’t get a mac… people who own one are generally either not gamers, or have a different device that they use to play games on (ps4 for me).

3 Likes

Yet still one of the more menacing entry compagny for gaming. It’s not developper-friendly enough to bother doing Apple/Mac variants of games for almost every compagny. It’s also very expensive to do the work twice for each games. On top of that, Apple support on all of their PC parts and devices is the least friendly, if the game bugs on you and fries components (e.g. New World case with 3k series GPU and EVGA refunds for example), you’re likely gonna have to spend cash on those components that only like 3 people and 1 compagny have because of how unfriendly the Apple market is really.

1 Like

No it doesn’t. Game is dead, no one would pick it up on Mac

Macs have the hardware, but Apple makes it very difficult and costly to develop games on their MacOS platform mainly due to the hurdles involving the graphics API. Here is a third-party article that explains more:

Source: https://www.howtogeek.com/295231/can-you-play-video-games-on-a-mac/

Officially there are no statements from Blizzard that they have any new games in development for the MacOS platform.

4 Likes

The problem is that Apple insisted on using their own native graphics API (Metal) on macOS, so you’re not going to get the full potential out of the hardware if you use something like Vulkan (because there’s going to be a Vulkan - > Metal translation layer in between).

A lot of the M1 benchmarks that people like to trot out are also the highest-end (Pro and Max) versions which are pretty darn expensive and, aren’t really designed for gaming and don’t have a ton of gamers buying them. Can they be used for gaming? Sure - but so can a $10000 Quadro GPU.

It’s really not as simple as “take the Switch version and put it on macOS” unfortunately. For starters, Intel-based Macs are still a way bigger install-base than ARM Macs - why not support them? The Mac Pro can also run Overwatch just fine.

Once Overwatch can run at high settings on the M1 Macbook Air, then maybe it would be worth the investment - and even then, I wouldn’t expect to see any new platforms supported before Overwatch 2.

2 Likes

I wanted Overwatch on Mac since launch. I played it on Bootcamp for a while and it (among other games) worked great on my old 2011 imac and nearly everyone I know uses a Mac over PC so it definitely feels bad that I have no group to play with. (Now I game on a PC I built)

Having said all of that, I don’t think that is a great direction to go. I play Paladins and other games with my gf using Nvidia GeForce and at this point, I think Overwatch should simply make itself available for streaming. There’s no reason to compare system stats like apes and try to convince the majority of gamers to invest in their rig when streaming has become a good enough option for most games. (In my case, despite being able to play every other game under the sun, I cannot even touch Phantasy star new genesis because my Processor doesn’t support AVX which resulted in me just ignoring the game entirely)

Activision had their games on geforce before and they pulled out for some unexplained reason – I thought maybe they were building their own platform (back in the day when Acti-Blizz were doing well) but if they aren’t, I’d say the best direction for Mac is more developers actually opting to stream their games.

I wish I knew more about the inner-deals that go between a streaming service and dev (who profits the most, etc) but I think on the dev side, working with a streaming service may end up less costly than trying to make a build specifically for Mac (especially since as we all know, Apple isn’t afraid to change up their whole system on a whim with newer OS - RIP L4D2 :dizzy_face:)

tldr; – I think it is better to promote game streaming because it is far more consumer friendly. Streaming means that anyone on Mac, PC, potato, etc can play this game as long as they have a decent internet connection

No reason to talk circles with everyone trying to justify a Mac port when putting OW on a streaming service will be far more effective with way less effort on the devs part and actually match Apple’s base consumer who would rather enjoy sleek gaming without stressing over system specs, maxed out HDD and game patches/reinstalls/etc

Most people do not buy a mac to game on it.

Have you tried gaming on the M1/M1-Max Macbooks? They can easily manage high frame-rates without even spinning up the fans audibly or heating up to the touch.

1 Like

please don’t remind me of Hulk

2 Likes

Reminder set for tomorrow!

:smirk_cat:

1 Like

Gameplay via streaming would be at least a workable alternative to a native Mac port and definitely something Blizzard should consider! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Native is always better because you don’t have to wait and you don’t need great Internet connection and much less lag or other issues.

Cloud gaming has its benefits however like saving battery life.

They made World of Warcraft native so I wonder why not do the same with overwatch? It seems like it’s a definite possibility now that we have a new leadership.

On the subject do you know of any great games that are already native? At the moment I just have World of Warcraft on my MacBook.

If you google “apple gaming wiki” and click the first result, you’ll find a list of all games that work on M1 Macs. There’s many hundreds. You can also view just the games that are native.

1 Like

That’s what bootcamp is for y’no…

Also I don’t think people buy MAC for gaming… if they did… they probably bought it for the apple logo on the back :sunglasses:

1 Like

Boot Camp doesn’t work anymore unfortunately with the new ones

People buy macs because they are great devices and very well designed. It has very little to do with a logo

They don’t buy them for gaming though…

you can literally google “are macs good for gaming” and it will literally come up as “macs aren’t good for gaming” so if anyone is buying one for gaming they are buying it for the apple icon

Nobody buys just for the icon

But you also have a chicken and egg situation here

There aren’t many games on the Mac in the first place so not many gamers buy them which in turn leads to less interest by developers to develop games

People generally buy computers for allsorts of purposes such as word processing and browsing the Internet or generally doing other work and media content and gaming is just another one of the things that a person might be interested in doing if not their exclusive interest

Yes they do, apple is a very popular brand people will think they are awesome etc just because of ipad/iphone

you really underestimate the power of a top brand

1 Like

With the MacBook it has very little to do with the Apple logo it’s about the incredible design and reliability and so on that comes with the brand.

It’s true that some people buy Apple products just because they are Apple but that’s because they have such a great reputation for amazing products