Overwatch keeps crashing

I’m having trouble for a month or so now. I did seem to happen shortly after a patch but I unfortunately can’t remember exactly which one. Anyway, as soon as, or very shortly after a game starts, Overwatch just locks up on me. I can hang out in the “while you wait” Deathmatches with no problem, but at least half the time as soon as I start an actual game there’s a high chance the client is just going to freeze up.

Today I just had a freeze at the character select screen, before I could even select a character.

Sometimes after the freeze I am completely locked out of doing anything with my computer and have to hard reboot. Sometimes I can CTRL-ALT-DEL to get out of the Overwatch task and restart but there’s not much more I can do.

This only happens with Overwatch, and it only happens when I’m in an actual match. I’ve literally never had it happen in an e.g. “While you wait” game. Competitive or Quick Play, both are the same. One thing is that once I’ve actually had a successful match without crashing, the client is usually stable for the rest of the session…I can’t remember ever crashing e.g. during my second or third actual match of a session.

This has been really frustrating, especially of course when it happens during a competitive match :frowning: Any guidance you can give me would be great.

Hey jasonwocky,

Are you getting any error codes after the freeze happens? Either from the game or from Windows?

In the cases where the entire system locks up that usually means that there’s a deeper underlying system issue. If you haven’t already I would go through the steps on the Overwatch Lockups and Crash Errors article.

Feel free to post your DXDIAG as well and we can take a look to see if anything stands out.

DXDIAG:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. In the Run window type dxdiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DirectX window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and save it to your Desktop. Open the new dxdiag file with Notepad.
  5. In the posting section here hit the </> button for “Preformatted text” then paste (Ctrl+V) the DXDIAG contents. That’ll make the information much more readable.

If you are unable to post this due to the length of the DXDIAG, please feel free to use pastebin.com and share the link with us instead. Use the </> button as well in order to share the link.

Hi, yes I’ve gone through the Lockups and Crash Errors article and tried everything in it over the course of the past month or so, and it unfortunately hasn’t resolved my issue.

I don’t usually get an error message, but sometimes (just happened today) I get a “Your Rendering Device has been Lost” dialog.

Here is the link to my DXDiag information:

https://pastebin.com/PMRJQBsC

I keep getting the error code:2002-2060 on the Switch every time I try to log into the game. It started after the new year but has become more frequent and now its constant. It might be an error applying updates. Help.

Help I’m on the Switch and I keep getting this error code: 2002-2060. And the game crashes. It might be an error applying updates but not sure.

Hi, just wanted to follow up on this since it just happened again. It’s pretty much every day now :frowning: This time the game went from a quickplay match straight into rebooting my PC. I know that you guys say that Overwatch can’t do this, but again it only seems to be a thing that happens when I’m playing Overwatch, so somehow there’s got to be some relationship.

In case the Pastebin link stops working, I’ve also put my DXDiag up on ControlC:

https://controlc.com/308bd7c2

Hey, jasonwocky!

Thanks for the new DXDIAG. The Rendering Device Lost crash logs are indicating that the driver is losing its state. The Windows Error Reports are showing that the Nvidia drivers are failing. Just for the data I have, I would assume that you have a bad overclock running on your system, or your driver installation is corrupted somehow.

Please try the steps below:

1. Complete a clean video card driver install. This will default all Nvidia settings, along with removing any possible corrupted installation. Completely uninstall your Nvidia drivers using: http://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Instructions for the Display Driver Uninstaller: DDU Guide / Tutorial | Wagnardsoft

Here is a video walk-through, also: How to Uninstall & Clean Out GPU Drivers with DDU! | The Best Way to Remove or Reinstall GPU Drivers - YouTube

Download the newest driver and install it: Official Drivers | NVIDIA

1. Create a new Windows admin account: Creating a New Administrator Account - Blizzard Support to see if the same thing happens on the new Admin account. This will rule out any Windows specific setting issues as all Windows specific settings will be defaulted.

2. Make sure any active overclocks are disabled, any overclocking software is closed, and any active overlay software is disabled. To be sure the GPU Overclock is disabled, I would recommend Debug mode: http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59594

If you have a BIOS level overclock enabled, please make sure to disable the overclock in your BIOS.

Test out Overwatch on the new admin account to see if the same issue happens. If you still experience Rendering Device Lost crashes after this, please collect some screenshots of HWMonitor after the crash occurs:

Do not minimize any of the sections and make sure all of the sections are in the screenshots. It will likely take multiple.