Overwatch is melting my brand new computer

I recently upgraded to an HP Omen Obelisk desktop with the new RTX 2080 card.

I expected to be able to run Overwatch on basically all the highest settings and and highest frame rates.

I have ended up changing all the settings to as low as they can go and the card still gets hot just sitting at the menus. The overheating has caused several “Rendering Device Lost. Application Closing” errors which has resulted in more comp losses than I would like to admit.

I have tried running several other games to try and isolate the problem to specific hardware or software. Skyrim ran beautifully on Ultra High with HD texture packs and the card barely broke into 40 C. I ran the Time Spy Extreme 3D Mark bench and while the card got into the 80s it still finished the bench with good scores.

Some cursory google searches have lead me to multiple threads here that have experienced similar issues and the response always seems to be “clean your comp, fix your cooling issue” It’s a brand new computer with excellent cable management and I have yet to find anything else that causes enough of an overheat to crash the GPU.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Exact PC specs are as follows:
Intel Core i7
16GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080

If you need anymore info feel free to ask and Ill do my best to get it.

There have been specific issues involving the RTX drivers. A discussion thread here has more details including possible solutions for you to try:

1 Like

Awesome, thank you so much