Overwatch has A Leaver Pandemic

Yeah, considering that OW servers are really unstable, and you can consistently see people disconnecting from the game.
Have fun playing with people 2 tiers ahead of you I guess? :smiley:

1 Like

Unstable servers - People leaving. Both Overwatch problems that need to be addressed.

Out of interest, do you live in some Uganda desert or something?
I mean, only time I have any kind of connectivity issue is first couple hours after an event starts.

1 Like

iv never had issues with people leaveing my comp matches i find that more people come and go in QP then in comp. (( they dont like who people have picked and deside to leave or they just dont like the fact that they are going to lose a match ect ))

i feel that if you leave a comp match more then 5 times your account needs to be banned for a week. and you have to play 10 matches without leaving win or lose to the full time that means all the way to the end of the last counter, and you lose 1500 SR and insta drop from the rank your in to the one below. (( thats is your in highter ranks ))

thats how i would deal with comp leavers.

for QP leavers. i dont accept the whole " its just quick play " your burdening the team by leaving and sabatoging there chances of wining while there waiting for a backfill to come in. so anyone that leaves a quick play match is to be reported. and i feel that instd of the xp penalty they get which none of them care about . they should be locked from accessing game modes for 10 mins. and then in increacing incraments the more they do it. if 10 mins was not enough time for them to get it in there heads that leaveing is bad. add 10 more mins to it. and then 10 more. till there up to an hours time locked out of quick play arcade ai custom and comp. any violations oafter this. and they start incuring in game bans.

this game is about team play. you either play as a team. and play side by side with your team. or you get punished for not.

as for latancy and lag kicking some people from matches. there can be a system in place that you have x ammount of mins to get back before the game considered you a leaver (( most leavers that leave at the start of a match are mostlikely disconnects but they dont get to get back in becuse theres only a 10 second window for them to do so. it can take upwords to a min to 2 mins to just get back to the match if your game crashed or your pc crached. ))

you are a really special snowflake, I get it, but most of the leavers that I’ve encountered were simply disconnected and then came back. It happened to me, despite me not having troubles with internet connection, and it happend to people in my team, the people I qued with.
you’re looking at this too one-sided

Naah, it’s just that after you’ve played online games closer to two decades, you’ve just seen countless times people whining about servers without any critical thinking.
It must be servers fault that I disconnect, the fault can’t be that 7 other people in the house are using the internet to watch netflix & stuff and the router is a extreme budget model from 1960’s and it has never been turned off.
I just assume the worst of people, for once it seems to have failed.

I judge purely from my experience, and for some time the dc were really a problem for some people, but it got patched not long ago. I can’t tell you for sure that no one who dcs doesn’t have any internet issues, but ow servers can really let you down sometimes.

To clarify leavers in Competitive Play can get a season ban in little as six leaver violations. However, players can work their way back into good standing by completing a high number of matches.

Are you talking about an account action to stop them from playing Overwatch overall? Leaving a game is not a direct violation of the Blizzard Code-of-Conduct. This is not really fair for those who have a technical malfunction or a one-time disconnection that is easily identified and corrected. Every player including you is subject to a technical malfunction at any given time without any warning.

The development team have already stated that they will not use increasing SR deductions to penalized players:

We appreciate this feedback and we want to continue to be aggressive against people leaving in competitive play. We won’t, however, use Skill Rating deductions as a penalty. The last thing people want is a highly skilled player ending up in Bronze and being matched against people much lower skill than they are. Also, if we allow a highly skilled penalized player to end up in Bronze and then continue to match them against other highly skilled players, people will perceive our matchmaking systems to be broken.

Ultimately, we want to remove frequent leavers from competitive play altogether. We just don’t want them playing games there.

I do not see this happening and would be aggressively unfair for those who have a technical malfunction that caused them to leave.

Again it is highly unfair. Remember to account for those who do not leave by intent.

Blizzard does carefully monitor the health of the overall Internet backbone, and most major ISPs, but it is impossible for them to detect any network problems of any one player. I must emphasize it is impossible to determine from the server side why a player disconnects, only that they disconnected. As such all disconnections and game crashes are equally penalized.

If leavers are such a huge concern, have you ever tried grouping up with your friends?

This is a myth. Blizzard’s game servers and their direct network providers rarely have issues (like the last major game server issue was when the Blizzard World patch was released and that was with the authentication servers and not the game servers). Most issues of player’s complaining about “server instability” is actually encountering issues with their specific connection route and have not done proper testing such as a WinMTR test.

The current competitive leaver rules works as follows:

• The match will instantly cancel if a player leaves within the pre-game or the first minute of the match and they are automatically penalized. The remaining 11 players are not penalized or have any change in match record. This rule is a courtesy to the remaining players to not have to play through an entire match a man down. The 10-second countdown is not intended for the player who left, but as a warning to the remaining players so that they are not alarmed when the game kicks them back to the main menu.
  • After a minute passes, enough time has been invested where it would be more unfair to cancel the match for the team without the leaver. As such if a player leaves/disconnects. They have 2 minutes to return to the match without getting a penalty. After 2 minutes, they can still return but they will automatically be penalized and marked with a loss regardless of match result. The remaining players will receive the normal match result unless they choose to leave without penalty which then they will receive an automatic loss (but no suspension).
  • A player that leaves and returns three times in a single match is automatically penalized and marked with a loss regardless of match outcome.
  • If at any time the match ends under normal conditions, any players who have left illegally, will be penalized and receive an automatic loss.

I mean, what’s a “small” concurrent population for a game this size, 800-900K? Maybe? I doubt they’re sweating.

again why i said they need to change the counter at the start of matches. iv seen people get droped becuse of there connection and try and get back in in time. (( one guy mae it with 2 seconds to spare ) and the match was still canceled. and ill wager he was still punished for his connection droping. even though he didnt leave becuse he wanted to. by chaging that it means that people could in fact make it back into the match they where droped from without incuring the punishment that normel leavers would get.

we should punish leavers. but do we realy need to punish people with bad connections or droped connections (( iv had my net die in the middle of games before for no reason other then the DNS server could not be reached anylonger. for more then an hour )) disconnects happen but people should not be punished for it.

leavers should.

The idea of penalizing players for technical issues is to get them to stop playing right there and then and don’t return to Competitive until the issue is resolved. That is also why the starting penalty is relatively small, but will quickly escalate if a player is ignorant to keep playing with an active technical issue. In many cases, a technical malfunction is easily resolved. However another reason why a player is instantly penalized in the early part of the game is queue dodging. Queue dodging is the attempt to avoid a match from starting because that player does not want to play with a specific player or hero composition, and if a dishonest player could fake a disconnection to create queue dodging, then that could become an even worse problem.

Some players have connection issues that prevent them from even properly loading into the match to begin with and this is a frustrating experience (and even more difficult to troubleshoot). This is where I think things can be improved and have written a detailed proposal here that would accommodate to this specific issue and prevent any risk of queue dodging:

No, we don’t need more punishments for leavers. We need ways of creating games where everyone gets to play the role they want - in other words a role-select mode for solo queue, LFG systems and clans for group modes.

so in short if your net crashes on you ITS YOUR FAULT oh i dont know not the companys or blizzards bad servers ? i get it. so your one of them people that beleaves everyone should have the best conection in the world and that if they dont then they shouldnt be in comp at all.

im sorry but thatsn ot how the world works. people should not be punished at all just becuse there net pervider suddenly desides to do an update on there DNS servers. or becuse a sudden thunder storm knocks out there power becuse lightning hit a transformer connected to there block

no punishing proper leavers. people that leave becuse they choose to. is fine

but punishing people that lose connection suddenly . should not be a thing. and you can argue agenst it all you want. its not going to change my mind on this. becuse i feel like blizard does. anyone can play how they want when they want. and to me that goes for what modes they want to play. be them haveing a bad connection or not. every ones welcome to play comp. QP and arcade mode. anyone that says otherwise . is just part of the toxic poison that is part of this community.

I understand your feelings but my goal is to educate players on why the policies are the way they are. It is my opinion is that the Competitive Leaver System as balanced as we can get it. If you agree with that or not is at your discretion, but now you know why Blizzard operates the game in this manner and can better prepare you for the event you should ever encounter such an issue (which I hope it doesn’t of course).

havnt yet on this game. but its still a broken system. people cant control there net perviders actions or nature. and blizzard does need to relook at there system and ajust it. oviusly the real leavers are not being punished hard enough for them to get the point both in qp and comp.

while people that are not doing by chooise are.

something sooner or latter needs to be ajusted. and with how the game has been going lately i think they need to do it before the next hero comes out. something tells me that whoever it is. is going to shake this community as bad as brigs has. and where just going to see more leavers appearing in comp and qp

I will remind you that the Overwatch Developers have revealed they are introducing new social features that will help give more options to control their play experience. Now I doubt any of it will accommodate the problems that you are concerned with, but I suggest waiting for these upcoming announcements.

sounds like a guild or clan feature. to me. something along them lines.

Yep, we need harder punishment for leaving

Take 1000 sr may be too much, what if someone has bad connection and they cant do anything about it? Take all their coins: they wouldn’t care, its just cosmetics. Ban them for the day: smurf accounts they probably have if they are a thrower. Block for comp for a month - maybe a week for first offence, 1 month for second

Im completely agreeing that the punishment needs to be more severe, but those ideas are wonky

Let’s pair leavers with leavers. It should be a stat that is tracked for your last 500-1000 games and you should get paired with people of a similar leaver percentage. The lower it is the bigger the leniency in player skill.

I hate being back-fill. I never leave when I am because I know it just means someone else will take my place and that’s no better. I have flipped games after being back-fill, but often the enemy get’s the win before I even manage to join my tema to do a push.

Also In the same vein as endorsement I think players who stayed should be able to give “negative” points to players that left. The menu could be put as a third section after endorsement to team and enemy team because that would lead to less abuse. Another measure to lower abuse would be to take into account the percentage of bad points. If the percentage is bad enough you could possibly lose parts of your endorsement level.

Banning is a little too far. I think people who play that way should be allowed, but they should be allowed to do so with other people who act like them.