Overwatch has 0% gpu usage

Just found something interesting: testing all other games and they run smooth and show ‘GPU 0 - 3D’ under “GPU Engine” in task manager. Overwatch, using 0%, shows ‘GPU 0 - Copy’ so it’s not physically engaging the actual card, but still using the copy engine…

Mind posting a DxDiag report? Also, what are your graphics settings set to in-game?

I too have been experiencing this problem. It started at the beginning of the summer and slowly progressed worse down to 0% GPU usage. I’ve tried everything from reinstalling windows, monitoring my temps/cores, and there is no explanation.

I have the exact same setup but with a 1070 and my 4690k is OC to 4.7Ghz. I noticed that I seem to get more FPS if I play in 2k rather than 1080p for some odd reason.

One thing you may want to try and do is go into your Nvidia control panel, go under 3D settings > adjust image settings > check the box that says use my preference emphasizing: and select performance.

Then in the manage 3D settings change Power Management Mode (and texture filtering) to prefer maximum performance.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I run on Low with 75% Render (even though it’s defaulting to my i7, my frames are 200 and my issue comes in when character model acceleration happens, like lucio speed boost)

Scrolling through the forums it looks like this is a pretty widespread issue, it’s just appearing differently depending on hardware (Render Card Lost).

How would you like the dxdiag report? I copy/Pasted and it flooded this thread so I removed it.

If any of you disable your integrated video card, does it make any difference or force the 1080 to be engaged?

Syphon: You can post between ~~~ or just put it on pastebin and post the end of the pastebin link.

DxDiag is on Pastebin: /GVW3J3GD

I have this same issue however while my Windows Task Manager shows 0.0-.2% GPU usage in MSI Afterburner it shows regular usage. I don’t know why the Windows Task Manager doesn’t show it even though it shows it for other games. Try to look to see if your motherboard has a monitor like Afterburner. Not sure it’ll help but just something to look into.

1050 ti no integrated GPU

Would you be able to test with one monitor and see if the issue persist? Preferable the one connected through Display Port. If you use a program such as HWMonitor, are you seeing the same 0% utilization being reported for the GPU?

Task manager is always weird- mine tells me that my RAM is clocked half then what it actually is.

I also doubt that its possible to reach over 50fps without propper Graphiccards - if any settings other then low is used. Especially on 1440p,
The integrated graphics in the I5-4690k seems pretty crappy to me… unable to reach even 60fps on low with this setup.

My old Laptop was unable to display Vram usage for example- not that this would be any case on a desktop card, but any tools told me that its 0mb used.

Would be interesting how other games handle it.
But i think OP has a problem with his soft or even hardware.
I recommend “Nvidia Inspector” its a great tool that displays everything you need to know.
a 1080 should get higher framerates, his cpuGPU should get lower framerates.

Something is realy borked on his system :wink:

Check if the fans spin up on the 1080 or if it gets warm at all. Best indicator for work being done is heat. If they don´t spin up at all in suprised.

Sorry for the late response. I only use one monitor. I tried playing in windowed mode so I can watch task manager as I play and I do get gpu usage in desktop window manager, but it’s only at about 20% and I still get frame drops though not as bad. When I was playing earlier today in fullscreen my mouse also seemed to lag in that my computer seemed to be registering fewer dots, so my cursor/crosshair would about half as far as it should. It’s looking more and more like a cpu bottleneck to me, but my friend has an older and worse cpu that I do and a MUCH worse graphics card yet gets a consistent 120 on the same settings as me. Data from HWMonitor seems to be consistent with task manager as well. Any ideas? I don’t have any of these issues with any other game, and once again this only started with overwatch sometime in the middle of this year.

1 Like

Has anyone found a solution?

I noticed that on my task manager it shows that the Desktop Windows Manager is using around 20% of my gpu but Overwatch only uses 0,1%, is it the same for someone else?

2 Likes

I used DDU and it fixed the problem. I reinstalled my drivers just to see if they were the problem and my gpu went back to 0% after I did.

1 Like

I tried using DDU and the same happened for me, but my Desktop Windows Manager stopped using 20% of my gpu.
I opened HWMonitor and CAM and both of them say that my gpu is at a 50%+ load in-game so maybe it was always a visual bug in Task Manager or DDU fixed it for me.

1 Like

I have this exact same problem and i have tried all of these and nothing works. Is Blizzard going to aknowledge this or not?

1 Like

Same problem h e re.

1 Like

As stated above, if you’re only using one card, and your onboard is disabled, it’s likely to be a bug where the correct usage data isn’t being reported.

1 Like

Same problem here, is there any fix to this?

I have I7-8700k , RTX2080ti with 32gb ram, game is installed on an SSD yet my FPS is nowhere near 200. and my GPU usage is 0%

2 Likes

Yo, same problem here, I am using win 10 pro, RTX 2080 max-q, (ASUS ROG GX701)
in asus armoury crate it shows about 90% usage under epic setting which make snese, but in task manager it says 0%
BTW, my game run at 144fps without any problem at all, just this usage in task manager is very odd. And for other games, this problem does not exist, only for overwatch
Thanks

1 Like

I’m having the exact same issue. However I can play the game just fine but streaming it is impossible. I can’t believe no one has found a fix.

Edited by Blizzard - this topic is being locked as this is an old post which was bumped. Please create your own thread or contact support.

1 Like