Overwatch hard crashing computer

At first when I would load the game I would be able to play for a few rounds then the game crashed, and so did my computer. I had to unplug the power supply from the wall for a few seconds just to turn my computer back on. When it was crashed, the display would go completely black, and no audio would play. It has come to the point now where whenever I open Overwatch the main menu display comes on, the background pictures comes into display and it crashes to this black screen with no audio. There is no error message or anything to help distinguish this problem.

This happened to me a few times. What I ended up having to do was follow this: Blizzard Support - Deleting the Battle.net Cache Folder

I then had to search for the location of the game, as deleting that folder caused it to lose its file path.

However, it stopped the rendering device has been lost issue.

I do not believe this is the issue for me because I clean wiped my hard drive and reinstalled everything, including windows, so it couldn’t be something like that.

Try doing this too:

Delete the Battle.net Cache folder:
battle.net/support/article/34721

Delete the Battle.net Tools folder:
battle.net/support/article/34719

Make sure you launch the Blizzard app as admin:
battle.net/support/article/24075

It’s what helped me. The issue ended up being an error code I usually never got to see, but got a .5 second flicker sight of, called “Rendering Device Has Been Lost”.

This problem persists through those recommended changes and I took a video of it crashing and there seems to be no error message even when I view it frame by frame

The error message literally only appeared once in about 4-6 times it happened over the course of 6 months. I really couldn’t tell what happened, because it locked everything up, both monitors would go black, and I’d have to hard reset the PC. Only 1 time did I spam task manager fast enough/long enough to actually get a flicker of my desktop to see the error message.

If that doesn’t work, idk, gl.

Could you push the power button to reset the PC or did you have to unplug the PC from the wall for a few seconds first?

been running into the problem where it crashes on load just randomly started doing it about 2 hours ago not sure why.

does it continuously crash on startup or was it a one time thing

every time ran a few different things to fix it my next try after this memory check is done is to just do a system restore and see if it fixes it.

Did you check the known issues thread to see if you’re having one of those problems? Known Technical Support Issues - Updated Oct 13, 2021

Also, if it’s not software, it’s possible you’re overheating or losing connection with the GPU, RAM, or CPU. The Windows Event Viewer > Windows system logs can shed more light on any recent critical errors.

If none of this helps, you can provide a dxdiag and the other players and staff can look it over.

I went through blizzards known issue list their recommendations are not working so far.

Tried Repair tool (it found something but didnt fix)
Tried deleting game cashe (did nothing)
Tried reinstalling game and battle.net (did nothing)
Tried running CCLeaner in case it was a registery problem (didnt solve)
Restarted computer (did nothing)
updated and reinstalled GPU Drivers (did nothing)

Running a memory test atm see if thats the problem as a last ditch recommendation from blizzard but I doubt it its brand new ram not even 5 months old yet.

Basically whats happening is you run the game from battlenet app it loads momentarily then shuts down immediately (black screen - loading screen - crash) overwatch isnt recording any errors in the logs folder either need to still check windows event viewer see if its picking anything up.

heres the event viewer log crash I am going to make my own thread for this as well but just in case this one gets looked at first.

Faulting application name: Overwatch.exe, version: 1.30.0.52926, time stamp: 0x5bec6546 Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.24291, time stamp: 0x5be7857f Exception code: 0xc0000374 Fault offset: 0x00000000000bf302 Faulting process id: 0xa40 Faulting application start time: 0x01d48b8e68e37e58 Faulting application path: D:\Steam\Overwatch\Overwatch.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll Report Id: a912d58a-f781-11e8-bb3e-20cf30ca83af

Just had Overwatch trigger a surge in my Power Supply. So the issue is still happening, I believe this is my 5th time since the game has bee out that is has done this. I thought a while back when it initially happened it was random, then my MoBo was saying my PSU was bad which was weird. Tested it and it was 100% fine. Played a bunch of other heavy powered games, no problems, start Overwatch, play a while then these random Surge Crashes happen ONLY with Overwatch.

I have got the same issue! Many times when it accured, I reinstalled the game which solved it temporarly! Since there is no fix listed yet, I thought I could ask you if you have got a better idea…

Please be mindful when replying to threads, as this one is over a year old and the OP has likely resolved their issue or moved on.

As for this issue:

Blizzard has a support document posted that they don’t offer official support for system lockups/freezing/shutdowns because they are not a function of the Overwatch client, and only your operating system has access to functions like these. Instead, they indicate a configuration, driver, or hardware issue with your system. In this case, I recommend looking at issues like:

• hardware driver failure
  • unstable overclocking
  • overheating
  • security permissions

It’s also worth looking at the Windows Reliability History tool, which may show you what’s happening in the background to cause any errors. If you’re not able to resolve the problem with these steps, you’ll want to seek assistance from either the system manufacturer (if applicable) or a local PC technician.

Closing this thread as it has been inactive for some time. Please create a new thread or contact our technical support team.