Overwatch hard crashes?

I have never faced any crashes for the two years or so I have been playing since the game launched. I took a hiatus and recently got back into it a couple of months ago. All of a sudden I faced frequent periodic crashes relating to “rendering issues”.
I don’t know why all of a sudden I am facing difficulties with running Overwatch, but no matter. I update the drivers, fix up the internal cooling, and lower graphics to play at Medium. The rendering errors disappeared but now I have to deal with even worse crashes.
The game sometimes decides to freeze, loop whatever recent sound was playing, and hard crash my computer into an auto restart. I’m sure this is terrible to inflict on my hardware. Why do I all of a sudden have these crashes? Why is Overwatch the only game that has gotten less optimized since launching??
Played for years with no problem when it came out. Now I have to deal with extremely frustrating crashes that are ruining my matches and taking a toll on my computer…

Hello there, The message “Your rendering device has been lost.” is Overwatch’s unique error message of when your graphics card shuts down during Overwatch’s operation. There are wide variety of causes behind this. First if you use a NVidia RTX 20X0 series graphics card, there is an ongoing issue that can result in this error. Thankfully there is a workaround solution available until they can completely fix this problem.

If you do NOT own a RTX graphics card, DO NOT attempt to use the workaround solution listed above, instead please follow these standard troubleshooting steps:

If these steps do not work and you need more assistance please post a DxDiag file so we can learn more about your specific computer setup.

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save.
  5. Open the file in Windows Notepad, then press Ctrl+A to select all text, then Ctrl+C to copy all text to the clipboard.
  6. Start a new reply, and type two sets of four squiggly lines and then place the cursor in between and press Ctrl+V to paste the Contents in a code block. Example:

~~~~
Paste your DxDiag File Here
~~~~