Overwatch freezes upon entering menu after starting game

I’ve recently upgraded from an i7-9700k to a Ryzen 9 5900x and so far no game has had any issues besides Overwatch. The only thing that solves the crashing problem is disabling SMT in the bios or the Ryzen Master utility. I’ve tested it multiple times and I can start the game up without any issue but the moment SMT is on every 2-4 start ups it will be frozen after loading into the menu and will need to be ended with Task Manager. Is this a known issue for the Ryzen 5000 series or is it just me?

1 Like

I have the exact same issue - just without changing any hardware.

Ever since ~5 days ago OW started freezing randomly at the opening menu. Happens about once every 3 startups, no apparent reason.

I’ve updated my GPU driver since, but the problem persists. Even reinstalled the game and nothing’s changed.

GEFORCE RTX3060 Laptop GPU + AMD Ryzen 7 5800H

Since you also have a Ryzen 5000 series cpu can you try disabling the SMT on it and launching the game a few times to see if the issue is still there? If the issue goes away then it seems that it’s a problem with the game supporting SMT.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.