OVERWATCH DEVELOPER POST ARCHIVES
This is a categorized archive of all relevant Communication from Blizzard Entertainment regarding Overwatch. This includes all relevant forum posts from the Overwatch Development Team, community managers, and customer service representatives from both the new forums and the old forums. This also includes any relevant Reddit posts, Developer Update Videos, News Articles, Technical Support Articles, Third-Party Interviews, etc. Basically, anything that is not in an organized place. Links to Patch Notes along with descriptions of the key changes in each patch are now included with the recent change to the website structure.
Click here to see how this Guide works
Things I will not include
- Patch Notes will not be linked here. You can find those on the official Overwatch Website by clicking here (Mainly due to how they are presented would break the most of the links every time a new patch was released.)
- Responses on the forums for violations of the Forum Code-of-Conduct unless there is relevant information that can educate the community.
- Any Blizzard representative response in the Technical Support forum, the Bug Report forum, the PTR Feedback Forum, the PTR Bug Report forum, the Looking for Group forums, or the Workshop forum unless the post contains specifically relevant long-term information related to the current state of Overwatch that can contribute to all players. Some links to common sticky posts and support articles are provided here however.
- Any Irrelevant Meme or Prank responses (yes they do have some from time to time).
- Any posts that hint or preview features or changes to the game that have now been applied in the current patch of the game. For example in 2016 and 2017, Reporting on Console was a heavily requested feature. Since that feature is now in the game, any mentions of that post are no longer included in this archive.
- Any posts that don’t specifically discuss the reasoning of any hero balance changes that have already been applied. (i.e. “Yes, we have plans for Mercy” coming soon.) However, posts that give specific reasoning to hero balance changes will be archived. (i.e. “We have no plans to revert Mercy. We are very satistified with the changes.”)
- Most Blizzard Posts regarding the game’s development in Beta, unless it is historically relevant. I don’t have direct access to the beta forums which have been shut down for years now, not to mention most posts in the Beta are irrelevant to the state of the game today.
How to navigate this guide
To keep things simple, click on the expand header to open that category to view that list of posts. Posts are organized by subject, post author, date, and source. A emoji indicates a post that is no longer available to be replied to. A emoji indicates a post that may be longer relevant to the current state of the game. A emoji indicates a post that contains highly relevant information and is a recommended read for all members of the community. A emoji indicates a post that contains information that is temporarily relevant and will likely be removed from the archives at a later date. A emoji indicates a post that may lead to “dangerous” content, the post is to denote the warning from Blizzard about such content, but be sure to not navigate to the source content in order to protect your accounts. A icon means the content can only be viewed if you have a BlizzCon Virtual Ticket (when the BlizzCon site is open and available).
Why this guide was made
I like maintaining a record of all relevant responses from Blizzard in order to answer questions to other players on these forums. I hope that by sharing this organized database, players will be able to look into past developer responses to be able to cite from when creating constructive content here on the forums. Please let me know in the comments below if I missed any relevant content (be sure to provide a link), or if I just screwed something up (I am sure I mislinked something at least once). As a Forum MVP, I do not represent Blizzard Entertainment, and while all information in this thread is believed to be correct to the best of my ability, there may be mistakes present. Learn more about the Forum MVP program here.
- Overwatch 2 (in development) NEW!!
- Patch Notes Directory NEW!!
- Game Features and Functions
- Game Balance
- Development History, Technical Support, & Overwatch Esports
- Media Content, Lore, and Non-Game Elements
OVERWATCH 2 DEVELOPER POSTS & QUICK FACTS
News on Overwatch 2
- Overwatch 2 Cinematic Trailer: Zero Hour - Blizzard - 11/1/2019 - YouTube
- Overwatch 2 Gameplay Trailer - Blizzard - 11/1/2019 - YouTube
- BlizzCon Opening Ceremonies - Jeff Kaplan - 11/1/2019 - BlizzCon
- Overwatch 2: What’s Next - Jeff Kaplan & Aaron Keller - 11/1/2019 - BlizzCon
- Overwatch 2: Evolving the Art - Bill Petras, Arnold Tsang, & John McClure - 11/1/2019 - BlizzCon
- Press Interview at BlizzCon - Jeff Kaplan and others - 11/1/2019 - YouTube (Provided by HitScan [formerly Overwatch Central])
- XP Level Portrait Borders are to be removed in Overwatch 2, but recogition for playtime is still going to be considered - Jeff Kaplan - 4/17/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan explains that Overwatch 2 will bring new gameplay for both PVE and PVP. - Jeff Kaplan - 2/3/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan hints that match-specific stats is likely to come with Overwatch 2. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan states they want to provide more helpful statistics to players in Overwatch 2. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan hints that they are discussing on adding a proper scoreboard for Overwatch 2. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan confirms that every story mission with have an intro and an outro. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/14/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan explains that the Rio De Janeiro Mission Intro and Outro from the Overwatch 2 play demo at BlizzCon 2019 are planned to be longer. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/14/2020 - Official Forums
- Bill Warnecke shares that no ability branch from “Project Titan” or early Overwatch 1 development was rebuilt for Overwatch 2’s talent system - Bill Warnecke - 11/7/2019 - Reddit
Overwatch 2 Quick Fact List
About the release of Overwatch 2
- Overwatch 2 is considered a “sequel” game with all new features including a full-fledged PVE Story Mode and PVE Hero Missions Mode. The launch of Overwatch 2 will include new heroes, a new “core” gamemode called “Push”, and new maps.
- Consumers will be able to purchase Overwatch 2 seperately without owning Overwatch and can access content including the new PVP modes in Overwatch 2.
- Overwatch 1 players will still be able to access new heroes and the new PVP maps and modes (including Push), even if they do not purchase Overwatch 2.
- Overwatch 2 will have an updated graphics engine (and will apply to Overwatch 1).
- Heroes will have a new default skin appearance in Overwatch 2.
- There will be a new gameplay HUD to be more streamlined.
- Players who own a license to both Overwatch 1 and Overwatch 2 will be able to access their collected content (skins, emotes, sprays, etc.) on Overwatch 2.
- Both Overwatch 1 and Overwatch 2 will use the same shared game client when Overwatch 2 launches.
- There is no release date for Overwatch 2. Based on comments from Jeff during the Press Interview, it sounds like this game will still be in development by the time BlizzCon 2020 comes, which projects Overwatch 2 at a 2021 release.
New PVP modes, Heroes and Maps
- PUSH - Push is a new core PVP mode that combines elements from both Control and Escort. A netrual robot/omnic stands in the center of the primary route of a symmetrical map with teams spawning at each end. The teams will engage and attempt to gain control of the robot (similar to gaining control of a payload). The team that is in control of the robot will begin escorting that Robot until it reaches an obstacle on the primary route, where then the robot will start pushing it (this causes him to move slower). If the robot pushes past the halfway point between the center starting point and the final objective point, a forward spawn for that team unlocks. The robot will start to walk in the opposite direction if the opposing team takes control of the robot. If the robot reaches the center point of the map after a team has a forward spawn activated, that forward spawn will be closed. The team that can push forward the greater distance within 10 minutes or successfully pushes the robot to the end point of the opposite end of the map will win.
- New Maps - New Maps revealed include Gothenburg (Sweeden), Monte Carlo, Rio De Janeiro, and Toronto (Rio De Janeiro was one of the PVE maps but I believe this is going to be PVP map as well).
- New Heroes - It is confirmed multiple heroes will launch with the start of Overwatch 2. Sojourn is one of those new heroes.
- Story Missions - The primary story mode will consist of 4 players working together to complete a series of objectives against computer controlled enemies (similar to the Overwatch Archives PVE missions). There will be item abilities that are picked up which can be used by any hero including manual turrets, grenades, shields, and health pods.
- Hero Missions - Hero Missions are designed to be deeply replayable similar to that of World Quests in World of Warcraft and will play on the existing PVP maps with variable objectives. Missions include holdouts, boss battles, and more. All heroes can be selected in all Hero Missions.
- In-Game Cinematics - Every Story Mission will include a cinematic intro and outro.
- Talent System - Players will be able to level up their heroes throughout the game and gain new and more powerful versions of their key abilities and ultimates (which are exclusive to PVE modes).