Overwatch crashing on launch after purchase

I bought Overwatch recently and downloaded it without issue. But when I try to launch the game, it opens on a black screen and crashes after a few seconds. I tried the repair tool to no avail. I got an error report and got this code if it helps D8939FB3-197B-4CAC-9174-35AB5E54A5B3

The crash ID you provided did not link to any received reports so it doesn’t look like the crash tool was able to send the report to us.

Typically though the cause of a blackscreen crash at launch is interference from other software on the system. Software with Overlays, Software that interacts with the game client. Discord, Razer, Logitech etc… all

If you have Synapse 3 installed you can first try right clicking on the razer icon on the notification bar and choosing, exit all apps. Retest. If that resolves the issue, you can either not use the software or my recommendation, reinstall it. Should solve any settings conflicts that are contributing.

Thank you for the reply. I tried disabling Discord, Synapse 3, Medal, and even GeForce Experience game overlay, but with no success.

Hey there Blackcrow,

The symptom does make me think Synapse is to blame but it can be other causes like drivers, permissions, or another interfering program. I also tried to look for the crash report and found none to review. Instead of sharing random ideas, can you provide a DxDiag file please? Once you have it, just copy the contents of the text file created and paste it here between two ~~~ like so:

DxDiag Here

If you have issues pasting here, use Pastebin and post the end of the link. (ie. 123456 for pastebin.com/123456)

Hey, I don’t believe Synapse is the issue since when doing what Kershew suggested to disable Synapse did not work. But here is my DxDiag file on Pastebin sd2Zkxf1

I have had the same issue for a year. I used to enjoy this game so much and now I can’t. I’ve tried searching online for answers and it’s gotten very stressful. Please help.

Got any answers to our problem?

Hey Blackcrow,

My sincere apologies I did not get back to you sooner as I wasn’t around for a few days. Thanks for that Dxdiag as it does look like it will be useful here to explain what’s happening.

This is what I saw in the Windows Error Reporting area:

P1: Overwatch.exe
P2: 1.74.0.38783
P3: 63090299
P4: RzChromaSDK64.dll_unloaded

Notice it’s showing Overwatch and a Razer file at the same time. It is almost definitely due to Razer and can be a frustrating problem since just disabling or uninstalling it will not fix the crashing.

What is needed is to first remove Razer and then search for files that are left behind so you can then manually delete them. Generally after doing this, you can then reinstall Razer and continue without a problem as the root cause of this has been addressed by Razer already.

The steps to take are remove all things relating to Razer Synapse by uninstalling it from Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall Program. Then make sure that the following files are no longer on the computer. If they still exist and you are unable to delete them manually, contact Razer for help.

C:\Windows\System32\RzChromaSDK64.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\RzChromaSDK.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\RzAPIChromaSDK.dll

Note if you don’t see the files in the above areas, use file explorer and search your C: for anything “chroma”. You should find one or all of the above files but in a different folder on the system, and you can delete the files to resolve this problem.

And for you Sope, I’m not sure if this is the exact problem or cause for your case without seeing a Dxdiag file. If you ever had a Razer product on the system, I would recommend the steps I outlined here. Should it persist, please provide a DxDiag file. Once you have it you can just copy/paste the contents of the file created here between two ~~~ like so:

DxDiag Here

Alternatively you can use Pastebin and post the end of the link. (ie. 123456 for pastebin.com/123456)

Deleting the razer dll file worked. Thanks!

Thanks!
Deleting those files seems to have fixed it for me. I now believe that having the old razer synapse app from ages ago was what was incompatible.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.