Overwatch Companion App Idea

Just had this idea. an overwatch Companion app similar to the Pokemon go, or Watchdogs.

when you first boot up the app you are asked to chose a side, Overwatch, or Talon

When you do you are greeted by the smartest minds in each organization and are in charge of all Data Files about their respective Organization. (i feel it would be Athena for OW, and Sombra for Talon)

You are informed that an Unknown entity has hacked both organizations and released all files on everyone that is related to the organization or peoples that are under observation for each organization either for recruitment or to keep track on, and all that was left was the Eye from the Sombra origin cinematic.

You are told that as the newest member of your chosen Org that you must help with securing the lost files and to “steal” the other orgs lost files.

Each file you can find in the real life area and there are 2 types of files.

• File Fragments: a small piece of a file that has little information on various individuals.

• File Dump: where there is a bit of information relating to the specific organizations (vishkar, OW, Volskya, Talon, the Meka Corp, Null Sector, etc.)

To collect a file Fragment you find it in the world and you have to “Decrypt” the file, you do this by completing a mini game of some sort. (leave your suggestions)

File dumps are periodic and show up only for a limited time. the “decryption” is much more complicated and the more people from your org that are around the easier it is, if both OW and Talon are around the team that collects the file dump fastest takes all information, however the other org can try to “Plant a bug” where they too get information but much less.

once you collect a up to 10 file fragments relating to that person, then you complete the file and you are gifted an exclusive lootbox. (leave your suggestions as to what you can get, character related animated short? character comic? or maybe a specific new weapon skin outside of gold weapons that you can use in game?)

I think that this type of Companion App would bring alot to OW that people have been wanting for a long time. Each File fragment can be new lore bits about characters (playable or otherwise) and the File Dump can be alot of lore about organizations and some of the things that they have done (for better or worse)

This could be like the Sombra ARG but completely interactive, Universe wide Lore, and couold even hint at new heroes, maps, ect.

File Fragments would include

• Character Details (playable or otherwise)
  • Map Details
  • Skin “Leaks”
  • and hero/map hints

File Dumps would include

• Org details/ lore (imagine for overwatch you could get the full report on a mission that went horribly wrong, or they found something intersting, or the back alley dealings of specific companies like Vishkars dealings with Talon, or that Axiom is owned by Maximillien)
  • Map Reveals
  • Hero teasers
  • details about who the “Eye” is

Once you find 10 File Fragments (say lucio for example) you get a “Card” that has all the lore about lucio. once you have completed a card your org gets “stronger” (leave Suggestions as to how) and lets say that the Org that is “stongest” at the end of the Month gets something special (like a medal in game that is visable on your hero) once the next month releases the winner, the medal disappears and is given to the new winner.

you can also get notified when an “enemy” is nearby and the 2 of you can play a mini game (im thinking like a maze game) where you try to hack the other person first, and if you are successful, you can “Steal” File Fragments.

I think this would be the easiest way to give the people what they have been asking for (ie. more lore, single player campaign (sorta), ect.)

Thoughts?

PS (i will also be putting this on the General discussion thread as it relates best to that as well)

2 Likes

I think if they made the app they could run season events parallel to the main game (archives, Halloween , etc) and give you rewards for playing multiple days in a row

Maybe you start getting exclusive sprays, then victory poses and finally, if you play like 7 or 10 days in a row you get an exclusive epic skin (or maybe even legendary depending on the success of the app)

But I wouldn’t make the app augmented reality, just a fun little game that you can play as a distraction every now and then, like the MKX mobile game

OW’s story, as much as there is of it, is never about the conflict between two factions. I think it’s wrong to position it like that. This isn’t Alliance vs. Horde.

I think this is great and blizzard should do something similar (they wouldn’t do something exactly the same). The could also make all of those arcade machines into mini-games.