Overwatch comp is unplayable due to braindead and throwers

This post is evidence that you deserved the ban you claim you received. You are toxic.

4 Likes

Did you try to ask for help on forums? Posting the replay code so people can help you to identify your mistakes so you can climb?

2 Likes

The screwed this game up from the start with their handicapping system for matchmaking.

After all these years, the results are in…

Overwatch is the most annoying game in the history of video games, it’s unbearable. I made the mistake of coming back to see how things are after a year away, and… it’s worse than ever. Massive swings in “difficulty” as the matchmaker tries way too hard to meddle with the matches.

I don’t care what they have in store for OW2. It’s dead on arrival if they keep this matchmaking and SR system.

Don’t bother with people similar to OP. I have seen countless of examples of similar players both in game and here on the forums. Players that are too stubborn to understand that they actually suck and are the cause of their losses. Even if you do give them tips, they will just ignore it…

OP you deserve the rank you are in until you improve your attitude and gameplay.

1 Like

Well, it doesnt hurt to try to help. But i learned that even people who often want to climb are not able to because improving require certain level of dedication. And people want to just play and have fun, not actualy invest time into learning process.

1 Like

I appreciate you looking to help people. I like to do that too when the OP is asking for feedback, but when it is a toxic person blaming his others and not looking for help, it just is wasted.

2 Likes

I know, i am just trying to understand their side also, i know that there are smurfs in bronze and when you are the one true bronze player, it can be pretty demoralizing. You might be improving but you cant do anything ng to beat the smurf with your skill set. Also bronze has a lot players who simply play for fun and absolutly dont care about objective. The lower you are, the more strange it will get. And if you are that place, its hard to get out for true bronze player as there is a lot to learn. Gold+ players mostly know how to play and how to abuse the bronze if they play there and how to use mistakes agaisnt enemy team to punish them. Bronze players usualy doest know that as for them its not mistake, its normal bronze gameplay.

I would highly suggest to any bronze player to try to find some group of gold + players and play with them in qp or scrims and keep asking question and learning from them. And ask for feedback. Its not enough just to play, if you want to be better, you have to learn your mistakes, learn role of your hero, practice mechanical skill, observe what are others doing wrong and stuff like that. Chance of improving without actualy not doing anything for it is very rare.

2 Likes

Well the truth is, the game is very good at judging your skill and MMR… if you play one hero. And if you are always trying your best.

But the reality is that many do not try their best, and then there are smurfs, new accts thrown in the middle screwing up the mid ranks etc.

Then there is the handicapping system trying to build even team’s for each match. The idea behind it was good, but reality is it hammers down overperforming players and boosts trash players to keep them where they are , and not moving along the ladder to where they belong.

They need to unshackle MMR from wins and let it go up based on performance. Then just hide everyone’s SR rank so people don’t %$#@ about certain “ranks” being in their games. The system would be allowed to sort players faster and better.

Why even use the word “handicapping”? It’s a match maker. It tries to create a game where both teams have a 50% chance of victory. It uses MMR, which is a hidden value, and it can already move as much as it wants to, including 0. Since people have not said what the calculation formula really is, we don’t know if it can already move in the opposite direction of the outcome of the match.

1 Like

Not a fan of the terminology itself either, but it’s still relevant. No sense in getting caught up on words.

The fact that your team’s composition is being manipulated by some external force, or the outcome of your game is directly tampered with via matchmaking - ergo, placing bets you’ll win or lose based on the teammates you’re paired with - matters more than what words are used to describe the phenomenon.

I personally don’t like the words “rigging” or “handicapping”.
Tampering with a competitive scene should be seen for what it is. Yet, it is actively defended on these forums.

(Edited by system to remove full response quote, then edited by me to put back specific quote)

A system that was not involved in putting people into games together would be a system that would not create games for people. Which is what the game browser is. I mean they’ve literally created all the variations that you could want. People can create custom games and invite exactly who they want into games, so you can have your own ladder or ranking system or whatever.

It’s a matchmaker. It’s trying to find a game for you to play as fast as possible with two teams of 6 people in as fair as way possible with statistical information about the skills of those people.

What agenda do you think is nefarious? Why do you think trying to create fair teams is bad?

2 Likes

What is wrong to play at bronze games :smile: Seems like you have to clear your mind first before you can make any progress, gl anyway.

2 Likes

In general, tampering with any competitive scene is unethical.

A system designed to match players based on chance % of winning, rather than by actual skill, is questionable to say the least.

Nefarious? By all means, what transparent aspect of the matchmaker isn’t nefarious?

Handicapping is the accurate terminology for what the match maker does though.

Instead of making teams from 12 players of roughly the same skill. It mashes up teams of players with roughly the same skill, plus has a +3 on each team, canceling out the win that one of them should rightly have in order to move out of that tier… and also seeds -3s to even things out… keeping dumpster tier players “floating” instead of falling as they should… because some guy in marketing realized you could get a higher player retention rate if you keep boosting players with the matchmaker.

The end result is an uncompetitive system that irritates most everyone who plays it more than 5 games per season.

This is clearly flawed logic. If you give an unearned win to 6 players, you give an unearned loss to 6 others. Having a system that wasn’t trying as hard as it could to create fair matches would not create a benefit for anyone. Every person you made happy would be countered by someone you made angry.

“Zero-sum games are a specific example of constant sum games where the sum of each outcome is always zero. Such games are distributive, not integrative; the pie cannot be enlarged by good negotiation.” - Wikipedia

Season 15 - ended at 889 SR Open Queue
Season 16 - climbed to end at 1340
Season 17 - Worked my butt off and got to 2113 peak.

The system works. I got better, my SR rose. I played less, my SR stopped rising.

In the last couple seasons I’ve been working on getting my Tank and Support SR up into Gold as well. On Open Queue I was focusing on Mei, I one-tricked to climb to gold, and even though it’s dipped slightly into silver, it’s still above 1900 consistently even though I don’t usually want to wait for the longer queues for DPS.

The system is not rigged. The system is not perfect. The system is just putting forth a best effort attempt at creating fair matches for everyone as fast as it can.

I think groups are making the job of the matchmaker harder, and invite abuse by individuals, so I advocate for changing Role Queue to also be Solo Queue only: Competitive Suggestion - Solo Queue

3 Likes

The logic is you play, you place, and you stay there.

The more you play, the more the system keeps you there.

If you don’t like it, buy a new account.

1 Like

You don’t understand the point of it.

They dump new accounts in the middle. A very large chunk of those new players do not belong there. The matchmaker actively slows down their decent or rise to where they belong via handicapping matches.

The reason for that is not to hold back overperforming players… that is just a by-product. The intent is to improve the gaming experience of underperforming players so that they don’t quit the game early on due to massive losing streaks.

If you ever toyed with the matchmaker, which is easy to test if you have multiple accounts. You can see it happening.

It doesn’t stop people from climbing or falling in the long run… but it makes the process much longer and creates some real @$%^y games along the way.

2 Likes

Hey, be super careful on these forums. Mods will ban anyone that accidentally sneezes a grunt that sounds like profanity.

1 Like

Except they’ve said the opposite. The reason they use MMR is to move it FASTER than they can move SR, especially on new accounts where there is high uncertainty.

It’s all in the guide. How Competitive Matchmaking and Ranking Works (Season 28+)

Give it a read.

Yes, new accounts with no history start in the middle, around 2350 SR, and SR is not used for matchmaking. They start at 0 MMR, with a high uncertainty, because there is no data for their skill. Please, just read the guide.

1 Like

he isn’t wrong to be honest. :cold_face:

blizzard wanted everyone and their momma to play overwatch no matter their skill or gaming level is/was. I also think grouping should be restricted on all new accounts till AFTER placements but blizz wont even do that… lmao