Overwatch 2 won't launch after Windows 11 update

The game played fine yesterday. Today it won’t launch. I hit “Play” and Overwatch 2 never comes up. The task manager shows it but almost immediately the Crash_mailer process shows up and my computer becomes unusable - only recourse is to hard shut down (hold power button for 5 seconds). The only change to my computer from yesterday was this windows update : March 14, 2023—KB5023706 (OS Build 22621.1413)

Graphics drivers are current. Other games work fine. Scan and Repair found no errors.

Intel i5-12600K
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
16 GB ram

1 Like

I have the same issue, but haven’t yet installed the update.

I finally got it to run. I let it sit through the CrashMailer_64.exe process then it finally came up after 5 minutes. Not a good long term solution…

Use the --tank_WorkerThreadCount x command line option in the game options in the Blizzard Launcher to limit the game to x threads where x is the number of your physical cores NOT logical cores.

On Intel systems disable Hyper-Threading in the BIOS or on AMD systems disable simultaneous multithreading (SMT) in the BIOS. Disabling SMT on AMD systems will remove the ability to put the PC to sleep, this is a limitation of the Ryzen platform that cannot be resolved with a BIOS update.

Alternatively use the program Process Lasso to disable Hyper-Threading/simultaneous multithreading for just the Overwatch 2 process but this doesn’t work as well as disabling Hyper-Threading/simultaneous multithreading in the BIOS.

Clear the Nvidia DXCache, you may have to reboot into safe mode to do this.

Start the game and let it idle for 5-10 minutes at the main menu while is it compiling shaders, check the process monitor (Ctrl+Alt+Del > Task Manager) to confirm the game has finished compiling shaders and CPU usage has dropped to normal levels then try spectating or playing a match.

Let us know how you go.

I’m having the same issue except I’m on Windows 10… halfway through today is when I ran into the issue. Plays fine when it finally opens but literally won’t let me do anything else on my PC… my brother recently updated on his PC and also ran into the same issue, not sure what’s going on.

Intel i9
EVGA GeForce RTX 3070
32GB Ram

The problem appears to be with CrashMailer_64.exe. If I delete it, the game comes up right away and runs fine. Unfortunately, the next time I start battle.net, it restores CrashMailer_64.exe and it starts all over again.

I had this problem and for me the cause was Bitdefender. See my post here: Anyone else lock up launching OW2? - #24 by Bethor-2943

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.