Overwatch 2 Randomly Freezes during Gameplay

When playing Overwatch 2 (Practice range player or a bot game) It randomly freezes in the match (or even when playing highlights), the game stays frozen until closed through Task Manager and started up again. Cpu Usage drops when this happens. Thank you for any help.

59 Likes

Same issue here, made a thread about this too. I’ll comment since I really hope we get it fixed, it’s already threatened me with the XP penalty for getting randomly frozen. It doesn’t happen every match, but it has happened for like the 6th time now… I can’t even close the game thru task manager either, so every time I am forced to restart my pc.

17 Likes

Exactly this, all drivers updated, still freezes randomly.
What sucks is you cant even rejoin the match, since you need to reboot and than wait in a queue to get in the game.

9 Likes

@Hahalol @ItsYaBoy Here’s a post from @Vanever from my other Thread, this might help you both. I didn’t try it out yet.

‘’ Vanever

1 post

9h

I strongly believe that the root of the problem is the Dynamic Render Scale setting in video settings. When it is turned off everything works great, but there is a bug where it randomly defaults back to on, causing the inevitable freeze. It will be back on when you go back in the game, even if you turned it off.

I had the exact same issue in the 2nd beta and Dynamic Render Scale was the culprit.’’

4 Likes

sadly turning this option off resulted in me being frozen yet again after queuing for qp role queue. I’ve also tried switching all my graphics to low, and switching from fullscreen to borderless windowed. I’m going to have to post my dxdiag to the forums when I get up again I think, because this issue still hasn’t been addressed by overwatch support/staff and it’s really dampening my experience, I got hit with another penalty for this because I dared to try playing the game.

7 Likes

Doesn’t seem to fix anything for me as well.

5 Likes

Have the same issue and it says “rendering device lost”

3 Likes

Same problem - OW2 freezes randomly, can only be closed with Task Manager. What’s funny is that I can still hear voicechat when it happens, so I know I’m still in the match.
Browsing russian forums, people came to a conclusion that this problem occurs to people with 2core CPUs. Do you people have 2core CPUs aswell?

9 Likes

Yeah, I do. And on other posts most people have as well.

2 Likes

So, 2core4thread CPU with small amount of L3 memory cash (mine’s 3MB) seems to be the problem. I guess, we just have to either sit this through (even though I had this exact problem since beta, and it has not been addressed), or just buy new PCs.

unfortunately you are not the only one with this problem
Game Freezing everytime - Technical Support - Overwatch Forums (blizzard.com)

1 Like

a little idiotic is that the game behaves like this because we have 2 core, if it is really because of this

7 Likes

Yep. I3-7100 here.
Also turning Dynamic Render Scale did not work.

4 Likes

Update: apparently, turning off Hyperthreading helps the issue, but has a side-effect of significantly dropping down your ingame FPS.

6 Likes

thank u this really helps… however the frame rate would just become so unstable but it’s the only way i could play ow2 on my pc so i might just accept it :frowning:

I have the same problem and I have 4 cores 8 threads (i3 12100F), so it’s not only 2 core problem.

2 Likes

Same here currently i have overwatch in a window so i could use task manager without need to restart my pc. I don’t have a great pc but i have 30-60 fps on low settings and same was for overwatch 1 but here the only issue is an random freez.

1 Like

the same thing happens on my account
DxDiag: ------------------System Information------------------ Time of this r - Pastebin.com

I have the same problem. Can Blizzard finały fix it?

It seems like Blizzard aknowledged our problem in this post:

Now, we have to wait till they fix it.