Overwatch 2 on Mac? The new Macbooks are fire!

He probably understands better than you.

:smirk_cat:

So why do you want to risk a quick laptop burning and a potential 1500€ throwing in the window, out of guarantee?

Well, if they had better support for “Window for ARM”, then that would be fine.

I.e. The software that runs “Microsoft Surface” devices.

Switch is already running on an ARM processor.

1 Like

Agree.
Dual booting with Windows on ARM can be a nice solution. But let‘s not forget that Windows on ARM itself is some kind of emulation. What Microsoft does is basically translating the x86 code to make it run on ARM chips. But yeah. A Microsoft translation with dual booting is much better than third party translation on virtual machines.
The best solution remains, nonetheless, running the game natively on the new Apple chips.

1 Like

Aight here goes nothing

An integrated GPU is refered to the GPU used on the processors, some processors have a GPU chip integrated on them, and, of course, because they’re super small, there’s no way to fit a powerful GPU

The good gpus are called “dedicated” gpus, due to having their own section, board, chip etc, being able to pull out much more power, however, these get hotter and are usually only activated when the laptop is connected to the external power

So
That

Do you approve Mr hulk? :frowning:

1 Like

Not really. I think everyone already knows the difference between an integrated and dedicated graphics card.

Do you know anything about the M1 Max chip?

It has comparable performance to a dedicated graphics card with up to 32 cores and and only 30 Watts power consumption.

So yes up until this point what you said would have been true. But now with the release of these chips it’s no longer the case.

Do your research before you tell other people they don’t understand what they’re saying.

:pouting_cat:

I’d still be scared, every mac I see just overheats and performs worse

Not saying that it can’t be ported tho, I mean, anything in 2021 is probably better than the switch

Nah
Lazy bones here
Look
:bone: :lips: :bone:

That’s the good thing about these M1 chips. They produce little heat.

But will they stay cool? :smiling_imp:

Like low energy = low heat but, you know

I don’t trust Macs
I don’t trust hulk
I don’t trust moosh

Wait…

It has comparable performance to a dedicated graphics card… for specific tasks. Not for everything. And certainly not for running games.

The M1 Max is fantastic, but it’s not a 3060 and i7 all rolled into one low-cost, low-power SoC.

This is quite funny.

It is available on Switch, PS4, XBox and PC (and probably others). All of them have a different graphics API which would suggest Blizz has implemented a layer on top so they can use the same API on all platforms (if they use OpenGL it would only need to be a thin layer). Since they have other games on Mac I would assume they already have this layer implemented for Mac. So not really that much cost I wouldn’t think. They perhaps just don’t feel there is a big enough market.

1 Like

Being “comparable to some other dedicated GPUs” is still a far ways off from “running overwatch at 200fps on ultra settings at 30 watts”

1 Like

Dont the apple mice only have 1 mouse button lol

If I recall (not 100% sure since i havent actually used one in person in ages) but I believe the mice they ship with have one button that’s capable of detecting where you pressed it, and thus does support right clicking on what feels like one large button.

However, MacOS has supported third party 2+ button mice since forever ago. You can plug in your logitech/razer gaming mouse and it should function just fine - albeit i have no idea if/how well the software for it works.

OpenGL is deprecated in macOS. You have to use the proprietary Metal APIs.

We currently have the following:

• PC version, using Direct3D
  • Xbox One/Series version, using Direct3D
  • PS4 version using Sony’s Gnm/Gnmx APIs which are apparently somewhat similar to DirectX
  • Nintendo Switch, probably using Vulkan (there’s a variety of options for the Switch, Vulkan is mainly used for porting where NVM is the native API)

In the future. We’ll presumably be getting a PS5-native version of the game too. I don’t have information about the native PS5 graphics library, but I know it supports Vulkan too.

I suppose it may be possible for a Vulkan port for macOS, but Vulkan for macOS has to be licensed and is an extra layer on top of the Metal API - you’d probably lose some performance because of it.

I’m not sure it’d be worth the cost and ongoing effort for such a small portion of the gaming market, honestly.

1 Like

I believe what they mean is that the engine likely has an abstraction of those rendering APIs. It would be relatively low effort to simply replace the native OpenGL implementation with a translation layer that is built on top of Metal. The API would be identical, and just a matter of linking against a different library.

However, I think where they’re likely wrong is that OW’s engine is very different from other Blizzard games that are built on top of OpenGL, so they may not actually have an OpenGL implementation. Though if I recall, the Switch API is very similar, so maybe not a ton of work if they wanted to…? Not sure, though.

I don’t think there is an OpenGL implementation of the Overwatch engine at the moment.

The top end one actually has greater teraflops of graphical power than a PS5 so no it’s not really a far ways off at all.

Teraflops is a pretty useless measurement of performance.

The PS5 is also not pushing 200+ fps on ultra settings.

3 Likes

Yeah laptop technology has improved a lot. 1k and you can get a 144hz high quality gaming laptop. Incredible.