Overwatch 2 Developer Blog: Explaining matchmaker goals and plans, part 2

The goal is to have players at a 50% win rate, they have stated this since OW1.

4 Likes

Finally, a chance for Lara to show some signs of logical thinking…

We’ll get ‘em next time…

7 Likes

Owh well, at least they’re changing the calculation from team average mmr to role mmr. Team average was a horrible way to calculate a matchmaking. Diamond tank + gold supp VS gold tank + diamond supp makes a huge shift in matchmaking balance. No wonder the matchmaking was constantly one-sided. Jesus.

12 Likes

If that’s the case then you don’t need MMR at all and you can just go with SR as your MMR

the whole point of having an MMR is to include recent performance

2 Likes

exactly, these people are just hopeless LOL they don’t understand the game or playerbase at all

1 Like

We mentioned in the blog that we agree that the system doesn’t feel as rewarding and informative as we all need it to be. The steps outlined (moving updates to 5 wins, MM improvements, etc) should be viewed as preliminary, with the understanding that the comp system in general is a high priority for the System Design team.

We’ll continue to communicate about this, and other issues, regularly and as we have meaningful updates.

13 Likes

I am sure this was how it was done in OW1 but it worked because there was 2 tanks.

So if you fight against a team where you clearly know you loose u could just go afk and let it end quick as it doesnt matter if u try playing it normally.

9 Likes

What is the Dev’s issue with giving us info for ranked? Give us our SR. If someone doesn’t want that, then don’t look or don’t play ranked. Idk why we are catering to crybabies when Quick Play exists. Having to wait multiple games to know where I stand is some of the most unrewarding game play I’ve ever experienced. Where I need 7 wins, 5 wins , or 3 wins it’s all trash. Give us our feedback.

5 Likes

I wonder are the matchmaker changes going to be done for Unranked as well?
ie. the role vs role matchmaking, and grouping-related “differences”?

7 Likes

Exactly this. Why the f. there is even mmr then. Totally useless.

3 Likes

even more problematic is that the 7th or 20th game always goes horribly out of “fear” of what could happen afterward. The update screen doesn’t feel rewarding to get but more as a deterrent not to play that last game.

5 Likes

Yea, even when you get the golden guns you want there is no reward any longer. I did not need a reward to play previous FPS titles but they were more fun to play competitively. The community large or small actually talked to each other and not in a toxic manner.

1 Like

Here’s an idea they could do. For that win/loss to get your SR to show thing. Have it reset after 6 hours of not playing.

That way people get to see the update when they log in the next day. (And their anti-tilt reserves are high).

2 Likes

how about remove mmr
restore 6v6
and change development team

7 Likes

How Blizzard do math.
3k Tank + 2k Supp = 5k
2k Tank + 3k Supp = 5k
Blizzard thinks this is equal when in reality is not.

10 Likes

Why is hidden MMR different from what we see? Make them the same!

7 Likes

Yeah, it is not a good system.

1 Like

Marketing, so they can motivate you to climb up again and thus extend playtime which they can then show the investors. But with the rewards gone and stuff the motivation went away and just frustrates ppl.

2 Likes

You keep promising communication and then its just “trust us, we’ll say more soon!”. You’re working on something. Just say what it is??? I don’t understand how communication is this frickin bad.

Based on community feedback, we’re implementing some updates to the matchmaker that try to place pairs of players with similar MMR on each role on either team.

And when you do communicate it’s the most no-brainer stuff. “We’re gonna implement an update that makes it so match making makes matches where you match :)”

THAT’S JUST CALLED MATCHMAKING? Why was it not doing this already??? It did in the previous version of THE SAME GAME???

In the long term, we’re planning to provide new ways for players to share a challenging and competitive experience in Overwatch 2—we’ll share more on this down the road.

“HERE ARE OUR PLANS: WE WILL HAVE PLANS EVENTUALLY” IS NOT COMMUNICATION. HOW ARE YOU GUYS THIS. BAD. AT. COMMUNICATING.

The goal of our matchmaker is to make each match as fair as possible

we need to provide a constantly updated experience that can deliver the fairest possible matches through effective changes to how our matchmaker works and through clear communication with all of you.

You have failed!

A: In Overwatch 2, your MMR adjustment after every match is not impacted by your performance in each match (regardless of your skill tier). This is for a few reasons. We don’t want players to be focused on doing things other than trying to focus on the objectives and win the match. Dealing the most damage or getting kills won’t help your team if your actions don’t help them push the payload or capture a control point. Also, for some heroes, especially those in the support role, it can be challenging to determine if the numbers they produce reflect their skill.

YOUR PERFORMANCE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR RANKING?! Is this serious???

7 Likes