Overwatch 2 Competitive Play - Season 3

Welcome to season 3 for Competitive Play in Overwatch 2!

Season three of Competitive Play is here!

Competitive Play is designed for those players who want to put their skills to the test and offers a more serious experience than our Quick Play or Arcade Modes. Players new to Overwatch 2 will unlock access to Competitive Play when they complete the Competitive Play Qualification challenge by winning 50 unranked games.

GETTING STARTED

Before you can kick off your competitive career, every player will be required to win seven games to obtain their seasonal skill division in their choice of role in Role Queue or playing Open Queue. Within the standard Role Queue competitive mode, players will earn a separate skill division for each role in Competitive Play, for a total of three distinct skill divisions. There is a separate skill division for Open Queue as well. This skill division will be a tier—Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master, or Grandmaster—followed by a number from 5 (lowest) to 1 (highest). You climb into higher skill divisions and tiers as you improve.

As you compete, your selected role or Open Queue skill division will increase or decrease after you complete 5 wins or 15 losses (whichever comes first) based on your win record, frequency of play, and the skill levels of your opponents.

A detailed breakdown of the skill tiers, along with icons and information about the corresponding skill divisions, can be found by pressing the “Information” button under the Competitive Play menu.

COMPETITIVE REWARDS

In addition to experiencing the thrill of victory, players can also unlock unique season titles through Competitive Play if they can reach the rank of Diamond or higher. When you earn a season title, you can equip and use it through the next season but not in any future season afterward. There are also additional titles once you win enough games in any Competitive mode and these titles are permanent.

On top of that, as you complete competitive matches, you’ll earn a currency called Competitive Points. You will earn 15 points for every win and 5 points in the rare event a match ends in a draw. When the season concludes, you’ll also receive a number of Competitive Points based on the highest Skill Tier you obtained during the season from the role and mode with the highest skill tier you reach to spend on golden versions of your favorite heroes’ weapons.

Here’s the Skill Tier to Competitive Reward breakdown:

Highest Skill Tier Rewards
Bronze 65 CP
Silver 125 CP
Gold 250 CP
Platinum 500 CP
Diamond 750 CP + Diamond Challenger Title
Master 1200 CP + Master Challenger Title
Grandmaster 1750 CP + Grand Master Challenger Title

TOP 500 LEADERBOARDS

The best of the best players compete across five separate Top 500 Leaderboards. Within Role Queue, one for each role, along with an additional combined average leaderboard. The combined Role Queue Top 500 Leaderboard will be based on the player’s average skill rating across all three roles. To be eligible for a role-specific leaderboard, players must complete at least 25 games in that role. To qualify for the combined Top 500 Leaderboard, players must be eligible for all three role-specific leaderboards. Open Queue will have its own Leaderboard that will require at least 50 games played within the game mode for qualification. At the end of the season, players who earn a spot within the Top 500 players for any of these leaderboards on their platform and region will receive an exclusive title instead of their rank.

WHATS NEW FOR SEASON 3

Based on community feedback and our goal to continue to deliver a fair and fun competitive experience. Players can expect these changes to Competitive Play starting in Season 3.

We have make changes to the matchmaker to be more focused pairing the average MMR of each role to be even to each other which we believe will create more fair and balanced matches.

• You’ll now get a competitive update will a skill tier and division update every 5 wins and 15 losses. In between competitive updates, you’ll have the option to view your competitive progress whenever you choose from the menu screen.
  • In the mid-cycle patch for Season 3, we’re updating the UI, so information about your progress toward a competitive update will always be viewable.
  • Finally, Top 500 Leaderboard players will see their Top 500 leaderboard rank updated after every match rather than in competitive updates.

Additional changes are also planned for season 4, which you can learn about in our latest Matchmaking Developer Blog.

Season 3 is live RIGHT NOW on Windows PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, and Xbox One|X|S, so power up your favorite gaming machine and join the fight. We’ll see you in-game!

1 Like

Why does the rank decay only apply to some people and not others, I was diamond 4 at the end of season two and my friend was diamond 5. At the start of season 3 I was plat 2 and he was still diamond 5. What sense does it make for me to go down 4 and he went down 0 ranks?

7 Likes

did you really fixed matchmaking? ITS EVEN WORSE

20 Likes

Is it though.

I played some DPS last night. I’m a donkey on DPS, and everyone else in the lobby were donkies too.

Hi, i have posted this in bugs catagory but please fix this its so frustraiting

so i have messaged your support team and they said they cant do anything about it and if i have a suggestion i have to post here, when i start an compititive game, it finds a game but sometimes cant connect to server so it doesnt even load in, and the system thinks i have left the game and bans me for hours. My suggestion is either fix this or at least please put a rejoin match so even if i cant connect i can retry to connect. Even though i see a rejoin match but when i press it it doesnt load and goes back to play button. Please fix this im getting banned for no reason for hours straight… i play on ps4

1 Like

Standard blizzard new season bug

NEVER play ranked on the first day or 2 if you care about your rank.

But even before this season this happened too, before this new season i came back to the game 1 day before it ending and 2 games were fine suddenly the third one didint load me in and banned me and after the ban duration i started again same thing got an 7 h ban and now again got an 7 h ban just 10 mins ago…

Happened to me last night too.

Servers can have issues. The joys of technology, nothings perfect.

Stop playing ranked if you keep having issues. Could possibly be something your end if it’s consistently happening.

Also, avoid playing when server maintenance and updates are going on

Got a Game, my tank top 500,their tank-diamod. Perfect balance

4 Likes

Btw profiles are broken, I can’t see rank of People I’m plaing with or against. But I played around 20 games, and 15 of them were extreamly onesided, no matter in winning or in loosing team I am. It realy feels like it got WORSE A LOT

5 Likes

exactly that, they said it would get much better but it is so bad

5 Likes

I’ll wait a few days but honestly, i know why this is happening
Simply because im from iran. Funny isnt it? I dont support my gov at all but i am restricted from games(as if what in the literal hell would iran want to do with games? Politics sure but why cant i take a sh*t without someone somewhere banning me just because im iranian?) Not to mention this law that america put before, now they rewrote it and the restrictions must be gone yet im still having these issues. Recently america stopped these sanctions so i dont know why this is still going on…
I just want to enjoy a game for 2 hours and go back to my misreable life cant i have this simple thing? Why politics are in video games now?.. as if i done wrong and have to be punished for it… how am i supposed to tell/show these people that i dont support ANY of my governments actions? Matter of fact im trapped here i have no choice… anyway sorry for the long reply im just tired its been years and finally that they stopped sanctioning people i still have to deal with these problems… i dont know who else to tell, i tell support they say its out of our hands i post everywhere but who cares?.. yeah sorry man, ill just stop.
TLDR: because of my gov iran which i dont support

Edit: got a 20h ban now. Didint load me in and my teammates blamed it on me and said theyd report me. Heh… ig i just have to sell my ps4 doesnt seem i have a choice anymore, no games let us in and even if they do this kind of things happen. Good luck to the new generation of gamers n kids that have to live in this s*itshow of “games” that push their agenda on to them preaching about not being racist and homophobic while they themselves ban and restrict iranians from playing. Hypocrits… i miss the time when games used to be a fun gathering even with all the differences and ideas people had rather than this whole thing becoming an industry with politics and agenda… i wish people’d care more… but thats not gonna happen…

2 Likes

Why is match making still garbage?

4 Likes

Seem like the stats differences are bigger then ever before. I´d say around half the games there are, for example, dps stats that are over a 100% difference. Both internal for the team and compared to the other team. I know many factors can do this like team comp, matching playstyles etc… But I played enough matches to notice that it is a trend. And it´s on “common” heroes as well… Not a widow that was dived and therefor had no stats. Common example a mcree/ashe/hanzo playing pretty close to the tank and heals and therefor staying alive alright. Shooting all the time but ending up with 40% dmg. With no shields… Pretty similar matched team comps… But just insane differences. One game for example was both my dps low dmg whilst tanks stats were similar and our heals was more. No shields and around the same amounts of death due to heals weighing up. 33.5k dmg against 14.5k dmg (And thats for 2+2 dps)… Our combined heals was 28k against 19k though. And this is with roles matched… Seems to have the oposite effect… And why can´t we see ranks anymore? Seem strange… Is it because the range is increased so you can be bronze and plats on the same team? I rather have a 20 min que time then mixed games tbh… Can just watch series, YT and stuff while I wait. no biggie

4 Likes

So, after about 40 games, what can I say. Balance is not here, it’t don’t exist. I was Diamond 4 last season, but I’m playing in matches with silver, gold, plat and Master at the same time, litteraly, in EVERY GAME, 95% of them at least. My tank gold, enemy tank-diamod, or vice versa and etc. It’s like I’m playing qp. Blizzard, honestly no offence, but during my whole ow1 expirience (I start playing in 2017 or 2018) there wasn’t SO MUCH suffering that players having last 2-3 moths. Just how you can do it so good and so bad at the same time? Game litteraly unplayable for majority of players, and it’s not one-time issue. Remember when you needed to temporarily remoove bastion and mei from Game, did anythink like this happend in ow1 ever? No. We all see that you trying hard to make Game better, and we really appreciate this. But like half of your ideas are making it even worse. So you really need to change somethink in terms of working with in-game balance. I’m not even angry, just vastly upset

9 Likes

AGREE 1000%…how can you match Master-2 and Plat-3 people in one lobby…where is the whole point of grinding…and skill development, when still get matched with different elos…you had like 5 months…just bring back the old system…or people will leave the game in a huge rush…I am so close to be aswell one of those…
It isn’t funny anymore…for REAL

3 Likes

Pairing mmr for roles is a good start, but it’s still not enough.

You guys must consider tighten all roles more together. 500 sr should be the maximum allowed. I’m pretty sure 90% of the player base don’t mind waiting an extra couple of minutes for a better game experience.

As I said, good try, but consider this please.

2 Likes

Won 5 and lost 5 in my first 15 matches and stayed at plat 3. All of my games were master players and diamond players too. One game I’m in a play game and the next all I see is grandmaster challenger and master challenger. How about let me get back up to diamond first before allowing me to play against masters players.

4 Likes

Competitive really needs an “Acccept Queue” button before a match starts as well as not forcing the match until all players have loaded. I currently have a 15 minute ban because I was stuck on the vs. screen for an eternity. Why is it almost every other competitive game has at least one of these precautions in place and Overwatch has neither?

1 Like