Overhauled Workshop Ideas and Discussion

I made this list before Overwatch 2 was released and posted it on Reddit. Now that Overwatch 2 is out, I feel like I should share it with the forums to see other opinions of it before the Workshop gets re-enabled. I expect most of these to not be added any time soon since I assume the workshop is in its final stages and there are other places that Overwatch needs to use its resources on.

1 Updated Ui: The Ui for the workshop sucks. everything blends together and it’s hard to distinguish rules and keep organized. I suggest making the Ui look cleaner and stand the text out more, along with adding a colored folder system. In order to add a rule, it needs to be in a folder, which can be named and colored, and organized in a large grid system. The main purpose is to keep the different additions to the game together but also to make it more efficient. The rules would only render when the folder is open, and unrendered when there is a game start/restart so the 5 minutes it takes to open large game modes will, for the most part, dissipate.

2 Featured Gamemodes: there was already an addition to add said concept, but I suggest implementing OverwatchCodes in the game where you can get the original game mode easily, and have an upvote system to get well-developed game modes noticed. I picture it to only have an upvote button in published game modes (where you can also post your edited versions under) and no one is able to see how many upvotes were given, but just see it be higher on the list of (this Season’s top hits and Best of all time). I also would really love if there was a sort of game jam where each season there is a theme that developers can create a game mode in two months where it is then judged and the winners may get a gun buddy/skin/Credits to incentivize more people toward the Workshop community. I want this because the potential of the workshop is so high, but it’s just people don’t see, and plus it will give people a taste of coding with a version of Scratch and see if that’s their forte.

3 Disable Spawnrooms: This one is simpler but I would really appreciate if we are able to use all maps to their fullest where there is an action that can make the spawn room doors open, barriers disabled, and the heal/hero select is disabled on select or all spawn rooms to allow more creative freedom!

4 Pathfinding Rule: With the somewhat recent addition of Ais to the workshop, we are left confused with trying to have them effectively navigate toward certain positions. The default bots that can be added to the teams, already have basic pathfinding to health packs, objectives, and chasing enemies. It would be great if there was a rule called (Enable Ai Pathfinding, and Disable Ai Pathfinding). I picture this with having options to make it know which ai you want to control, and a priority list to tell the ai what to prioritize and when (Falling Back, Go to Health pack, stay on objective ext). This is the one I most want but know is the least likely to appear since it requires quite a bit of time to perfect it.

5 Geometry Island: This will be a simple map creator with basic geometry shapes (Ramps, Walls, Floors) that are placed in a grid pattern somewhat similar to the Fortnite build system. When a Workshop map is enabled, there is a button that unlocks that allows you to add said objects. This idea sparked when the devs released the statement that there will not be a map editor in the workshop, and I schemed as simple of a design as I could, but the likely hood is very poor.

That’s the 5 ideas I had that I really want, and I really want to know your ideas of rules and additions to be added to Custom Games!

1 Like