[Out-of-Love-Rant] - Please guys, move the story

So, this is more or less a copy-paste of my latest post in there : Would you read OW short-stories if there were any? - #21 by Triskan-2534

But I feel the subject deserves its own topic, so here goes :

It’s been two years and we’ve barely got beyond Winston’s Recall… Sure, the universe is expanding with each hero release, but the story havent moved an inch.

For me, even before the game in itself, it’s the universe that brought me to Overwatch… not even the characters, but that whole futuristic world, with that fragile co-existence between human and omnics, the remnant of this glorious organisation scattered across the world, the new-world order shaping up with all those various factions, the rise of those superpowerfwul so-called “Gods programs”…

And I’d just like to see the story progress, the universe is so rich… look at it all, from the Ministers of Oasis to that Eye faction, from the conspiracy in Russia to the rise of cities like Numbani, from Vishkar to Talon, from the remnants of Overwatch to the new generation of figures around the world…

It’s not three animated-shorts and year and a handfull of comics here and there that will do the story justice.

And I’d just love Michael and the writers to aknowledge our frustration and talk about it… just a bit, just telling us they have plan for the story on the long term… cause they’re awfully silent on the matter… and really I’m doing that rant out of love for the story and the universe… it’s not salt, it’s not blind fury, it’s just… it’s just frustration and sadness.

Please guys, move your story forward, it deserves it.

15 Likes

I know that they are working and stuff, but I just wish that they would finish what they have and release it. Really a lot of us are tired with the lore’s pace, but we know that they are working on it.

2 Likes

The writers need to touch base with use like Jeff tried to do with the general audience of the game. Just a simple “We’re working on comics!” or something even more vague since they like vague, “Lore’s coming, don’t worry!” would set a LOT of people at ease.

3 Likes

I feel this, literally just some kind of actual disclosure towards the fact of actual work being done would be amazing for the community’s morale.

I want more story yes, even short prose would be nice; the potential for OW to be something actually decent is there, but it feels like it’s been wasted for a while now.

I did this a while back trying to outline the best way for them to progress, I hope it can maybe make you feel better at least xD

1 Like

I feel like the reason they haven’t mentioned what they’re working on is that they aren’t working on anything. :frowning:

Overwatch’s story has so much potential, but I guess it just isn’t profitable enough to be anything more than marketing.

1 Like

Question: Is it just Michael Chu - alone - who writes the lore for Overwatch?
Does anyone have an idea if he does it alone or if he has a team with him?
Also, was it disclosed anywhere if he has other projects at Blizzard which takes up most of his time?

Just wondering… :thinking:

1 Like

They hired a new writer for Overwatch this summer

1 Like

And we’re still waiting to see some fall-off from that hire.
But it gives me hope.

And I think they’re a little team of writers, not more than three or four if I’m correct !

Gimme a call, Michael ! :slight_smile:

Hopefully this was just a bad year and a half for lore, we stopped getting lore, specifically the comics, after the halloween event last year, and since then we’ve only gotten the halloween tapestry, the ridiculous yeti hunt comic, retribution, and 2 shorts a year. When brigitte came out, It seemed like they were going to put out lore regularly since they created a Lore blog, but then nothing happened. Recently they added this story discussion section, but still nothing’s happened. All we can hope is that lore will resume in 2019. I wish the developers would give us an estimated date for some new stuff though, it’s hard for fans to constantly wait with no end date to this lore hiatus :confused:

2 Likes

Hopefully. This is what Jeff said during a stream about the comics.

Jeff Kaplan: We love story content - obviously the animated shorts have been fantastic. A lot of people have been asking about comics, they’re like, “It’s been ages since, you know, you guys have done comics.” We are very interested in doing more comics and we actually have a plan for how we want to do more comics and exactly what the comics would be. And there’s a lot of good reasons that I’m not going to get into why the comics kinda slowed down for a little bit, but we are excited about comics and talking about comics again.

Source: https://clips.twitch.tv/GorgeousFriendlyDurianDerp