Our Attitude To Lower Ranks Is Toxic

nah if you cant kill phara play d.va shes prob the best counter for her period.

I have a friend who can’t climb out of bronze/Silver but she can keep up with me in Plat. (Support main)

And let me tell you: You can’t carry as a support if your teammates are stupid as hell. That’s just the truth of it. If your McCree just stands still to get picked by the widow, the Rein is wildly charging into the enemy team, you have 4 DPS and none of them can hit the broad side of a barn: I don’t care if you had 32k healing and gold elims: You’d lose.

4 Likes

Except their opponents are equally as bad… with equally bad aim, bad coordination, bad positioning, etc. There’s no real difference in the caliber of the players.

2 Likes

No, the other players are not always as bad MsSysbit. That’s a flat out lie. Sometimes you get good players and other times you don’t. That doesn’t mean the enemy team has bad players if you have bad players. Literally an improbability

You’ve fallen into the same trap that I described above. You’re looking for “you’re right” and won’t accept anything else. You’re twisting what MsSysbit is saying into what you think we’re trying to say.

So here’s some advice for you and your support friend:

• Stop using LFG.
  • Focus on your own play.
  • Review your own vods.
  • Review vods with a higher ranked player.
  • Git guder.

And since I’m free today and feeling generous, I’d happily review a vod for either of you.

3 Likes

I didn’t twist what she said at all.

No. The opponents are not always as equally bad: With equally bad aim, bad coordination and bad positioning. It’s not GREAT: But it’s not always as bad.

EDIT: This is where the post comes into play. Low elo players do have problems that you don’t have as much at higher Elos. One team will be communicating, your team might have no one in voice chat at all. No call outs, no communication, you’re probably going to lose.

Your team may have a thrower on Widowmaker while the enemy team has a smurfing Genji.

So yes, I refute the statement that the other team is ‘as equally bad’.

EDIT, EDIT: I’m not the one with these complaints. I’m climbing up to Diamond: I’m improving myself - but at the same time I can’t just pretend like the lower elos don’t have issues aside from: "Welp, you need to git gud and improve yourself.’

So… it’s rigging matchmaking and only one team has good players.

Let’s maintain your theory and conclusion and let me ask a hypothetical. 12 players are all trapped in a rank say Silver. Set A v Set B in game 1 and Set A wins. Set B has 6 players all thinking it’s the other five’s fault and thay they’re trash. The matchmaker reshuffles 3 of each in the next game. Now half of Set A wins again and half of set A loses; the same goes for each half of set B. Now set Bb has six players each blame the other five as trash for the loss.

Still with me? Who exactly is the better one here? Anyone? You could argue the half that won both might be but these are two games. Is that enough to judge a player by? And they’re all stuck in that same rank. IF they were always the better one why are they not winning more and climbing? Did half of set A somehow worsen in that one game? Did half of set B somehow improve?

The reality is folks watch snapshots of others and judge them for their faults whereas their own play over hundreds of games they ignore. Then they wonder why they’re stuck.

2 Likes

We do but its less frequent. We have a lot of unintentional throwers though. We have delusions grandeur players as well. Ones that say “How the hell did you get POTG, gold dmg and 61% kill participation and four golds, you were trash?” This literately happened today. Again have the same issues its just not as bad/frequent for sure. Never been in gm so I cant really comment on that. Just low masters.

Adding on to this, it’s really just simple probability. Each team is composed of 6 rolls. The outcome of a roll can be a thrower, troll, leaver, bad player, average player, good player, smurf, etc.

If you are always a good player (or smurf), you ensure that one roll for your team is always at least good. Now you get paired with 5 other rolls.

The enemy has 6 rolls. So we’re comparing

A = Good + 5Rolls
B = 6Rolls

Sometimes A > B, sometimes A < B, sometimes A = B. It all depends on who gets picked from the player pool.

Over time, every roll converges toward average player (highest probability). So over time, the teams become

A = Good + 5Average
B = 6Average

And, of course, A > B here.

The odds are in your favor if you’re good. It will take time, for some people multiple seasons per rank, but you’ll climb as long as you stay good. If you’re average, then you’re going to stay where you are. If you’re bad, then you’ll drop until you’re average. It does take time, though. You can’t just play 5 games and win them all and go “I don’t belong here”, because you could lose 5 in a row next.

Take me for example. For a long time I was a good player. I ensured that my team always had at least one good roll, and so as I grinded out games, I gradually gained SR. In order to keep my status of good as my SR climbed, I had to do vod reviews, solo and with a higher ranked player, and mechanics drills and watch higher tier gameplay.

Now, I don’t do any of that, so I’ve lost my status as a good player. I am average. I will maintain my rank until I practice to be good again or I fail to keep up and become bad. I may fluctuate a couple hundred SR because sometimes I get a lot of unfavorable rolls in a row, but over time it averages out.

2 Likes

There’s factors that you aren’t taking into consideration whatsoever.

Did team A use Comms?

Did team B have a legitimate thrower?

Did the thrower from team B end up on team A in the re-shuffle? Did 3 people without comms get stuck with the 3 people trying to make call outs?

Did team B have a McCree constantly out of position?

You can’t just make a blanket statement like you are, or pretend that Team A and Team B are exactly the same in terms of skill and game sense just because they’re in the same elo. There are DOZENS of factors here that I could throw at you but I’m not going to spend the next 3 hours debating it.

It’s also a bit of in game luck and how players interact. Maybe one on Set A is bad at everything but shotcalled decently. Maybe that let one on set A who is often tilted not be so he/she gave it her/his all. Maybe it was the map as it favored their hero or they knew a better path to point or some trick. There are so many invisible in game factors as well as between player ones.

You just made my argument for me. There isn’t someone or team always legitimately better. How they mesh matters highly. And as a result the teams are even overall. Thank you for unknowingly agreeing with reason!

Ye true. I wanted to keep things short because I really don’t feel like writing too much about it, but 6 bad players who work well together could certainly keep up with 6 good players who have no synergy whatsoever. And all those random possible combinations.

The key is that over time it all averages out, so consistently being a good player will put you ahead over time.

2 Likes

Or you could have seriously bad luck like the Reinhardt I was just watching who’s healers hardly ever healed him, DPS hardly got picks in the 10 games I watched him play even though he was basically doing 95% of everything he should have been doing as a Reinhardt.

For 10 games he just got rolled by the enemy teams (as a DIRECT RESULT OF HIS TEAMMATES CRAPPING THE BED)

1 Like

Link? Like I said, I’m free today and happy to review any vods. It’s beginning to seem to me like you’ve lumped yourself in with higher ranked players by saying things like

when really you’re just like them. I’d be happy to help you or your friends, but I need something to work with, otherwise all you’re getting is the generic advice you hate so much.

Don…

I didn’t write this because I’m having issues. I critique my own play quite often and I have friends in Masters+ who I also practice with in Custom Games. I don’t know why you think that I need help all because I’m supporting the problems that players in lower elos face and saying they’re not imaginary issues.

• There are LOTS of throwers in those ranks.
  • There are LOTS of smurfs in those ranks.
  • It’s HARD for a gold-worthy-player to carry a team of 5 sardines

So I don’t know why you keep offering to review vods. Did you read the original thread? This wasn’t about me needing help whatsoever. I’m good where I’m at and I’m climbing.

1 Like

I did. But you’re completely ignoring what we’re saying.

1. We can only offer general advice to general questions. If you want specific answers, we need specific information. A vod is the best way to get that.

2. Smurfs, throwers, and dumb teammates do not hold you back. They can lead to streaks of garbage games, but due to the nature of the matchmaker, you will also experience streaks of good games.

I keep offering to review vods, because you seem to really hate the general advice, and you seem to really think your friends are doing everything right and are being held back by the system. They’re not.

And we’re going in circles so I’m going to dip. I’ve said my piece and laid it out as clearly as I can.

1 Like

You offering to review vods, you, one person - does not take away from the fact most higher elo players treat lower elo players on here like trash. Kudos for being ONE person out of many who don’t treat them like trash all the time. There’s a lot of posts from lower elo players that ask very specific questions and get crapped on for it. That was the point of the post: And apparently, you missed it.

1 Like

id rather them charge for a Season Pass:

-longer seasons
-better rewards increased by SR
-only patch during preseason and patch to attack meta
-stricter punishing for toxicity in comp (lose pass, lose rewards, sell more passes)

i think another major game mode will prolly just lengthen queues. heck they could prolly make the game f2p at that point. might even end up selling more loot boxes (which i think is a horrible monetization system to begin with).

Dude. You summoned me here by quoting me as an example of a high rank player “disrespecting” lower ranks. You made me out to be one of the “many who treat them like trash all the time”, so I showed up to defend what I said.

I didn’t miss the point. I agree with it, though I disagree with the opinions you are defending. You didn’t bring me here to see the point of the thread. You brought me here to try to make me out to be a prick bullying the noobs.

^ See?