Opinions on the state of Mercy?

Any opinions on the state of Mercy / the #ReworkMercy movement? I personally think if they were to change Mercy’s ult to increase it’s skill ceiling would be great. Mercy mains would have to get good in order to pull off decent plays. I think it’d also make her more engaging to play.

Any opinions? Also, keep it civil. :blush:

20 Likes

She’s in a balanced state, but she’s not fun to play with. Sometimes she’s even not fun to play against.

26 Likes

#DeleteResurrect

I think she is fine but since I don’t main her my opinion doesn’t matter usually.

3 Likes

What would you suggest be replacing Resurrect?

I like her as is.

I’m the only one.

9 Likes

Don’t know I am not a game designer. I can only tell you I don’t want Res.

This video, really
8 Likes

She’s eh right now. Balanced which is good, but Valk is kind of like a “turn your brain off and damage boost / be a glorified amp it up” and while the movement during Valk can be fun, its much funner to use it to murder.

Honesty I stopped maining her back when she was first changed. Valk was so boring, even in the most OP state.

I probably wont play her seriously till rez is off e and Valk becomes more engaging

Thanks for the reply. Why do you think so many people are against Reworking Mercy? She’s currently not too fun to play / play against.

2 Likes

Was slapping some concepts together for Valk, and came up with this:

3 Likes

I personally like the idea of a rework for her whole kit. Specifically getting rid of Rez as a cooldown ability and getting rid of damage boost. I don’t find it enjoyable to literally hide and Rez. Rez is sluggish and harder to balance on E. Meanwhile Damage boost is super boring, but I want damage boost be changed by her throwing out a halo to a teammate for a temporary boost or on herself. I feel like this change will help her better prioritize/focus on healing her team.

1 Like

I think that they’re afraid of the moth meta again when she was extremely overpowered, and how long it took them to tone her down.

Popular streamers and many people who blow all ults at once before killing the Mercy (or forcing the Zen to pop his ult) are afraid of mass rez making their ults useless

I also believe Mercy players are afraid of Mercy losing her identity

Then there are also people who genuinely enjoy her right now that don’t want her to change.

There are a lot of opinions across the board, all are valid, but most people argue that Jeff and his team have said “they like Mercy where she is”

3 Likes

I like where she is but I guess there’s people who are dissatisfied with her… I put together this idea in order to outline what I would be fine with but I understand if it’s not everyone’s cup of tea:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rR9OKe
1 Like

Near balanced but still a little weak, she is really just a rez-utility secondary heals now.

Enjoyment wise? She’s still lackluster in Ult

1 Like

I just want 60 hps back at this point, rework isn’t gonna happen.

In my research during the thread I made about most Mercy players having not hide and rezzed, I came to a realization. And all the evidence I saw pointed to hide and rez not being the most used strategy (even though it was popular enough to be a problem regardless) and not being an issue pick and winrate wise. Since these things were already the case, they could not just nerf her. She already wasn’t the most popular in upper tiers, she was already mostly being used for tempos, she was already statistically balanced. If they had simply nerfed her she would have been dumpstered.

The devs were very careful not to make a statistical argument, and even said they don’t balance on stats alone.

The devs did not remove it because every Mercy was doing it (they were not) or because it was proving to be game breaking statisically (it was not), they removed it because they felt it was fundamentally unhealthy for the game as a design.

You can’t come back from that. So as much as I strongly preferred mass rez over Valk because it gave her a big hero moment that made you glad you chose her over another healer (something I think her kit currently lacks, her moment in the spotlight that every other hero has) it is never ever going to come back.

And probably for good reason. Video games are supposed to be fun. And that was not fun to many Mercy players nor any of her enemies, even if it was more fun than Valk.

They should instead focus on making Valk more fun.

4 Likes

Interesting concept. So when Mercy gets an instant charge of rez, will it still have a cast time & a slow? Because I don’t think current Rez’s cooldown is the problem with her kit, I feel like the whole ability needs to be reworked

1 Like

Balanced on console yet weak on PC

Well, no slow because it’s instant.

I don’t think the #ReworkMercy movement is aiming to bring back mass rez though. I think we just want her reworked again, with a completely new ultimate.

I agree that mass-rez had it’s issues, but Valkyrie does too. And If Symmetra was reworked thrice, I could see it potentially happening to Mercy too.

Symm’s third rework increased her skill ceiling, & I personally find it more fun and balanced than Symm 2.0. That’s why I think Increasing Mercy’s skill ceiling for a potential Mercy 3.0 Rework may just (finally) balance her out in most Elo’s (whilst still making her fun to play)

2 Likes

I like her but I find she is more of an off healer now. Playing Mercy like you used to is not enough healing and too risky compared to the other options.

However play her as a pocket healer for either main tank or a high value dps like Ashe or Pharah alongside say a Moira and she becomes very effective.