Opaque Matchmaker: Don't legitimate electronic sports need transparency?

did you watch the vid? that guy says transparent matchmakers are good

A lot of players (myself included) are just… inconsistent. You can do great one day and terribly the next. A lot of players also rely heavily on teammates to enable them as well.

3 Likes

I think you’re confusing Overwatch with OWL.

You can’t seriously expect a game designed to be played by anyone, to be held to the same standards as a professional gaming league.

That’s just incredibly unrealistic expectations.

2 Likes

That is an excellent question and I have also asked this question several times. I have not yet been able to find any official answer or any attempt to introduce any kind of control system.
Maybe sometimes I am exaggerating a bit too much on this issue but that is exactly the point. If there is no transparency, then the matchmaking is actively manipulated. So this game can’t be taken seriously for E-Sports.
We don’t need a developer saying it’s not like that.

2 Likes

Why?

(post must be at least 20 characters)

For the record, the eSports-side of games (when we’re talking about leagues) has no matchmaking. Those are leagues you have to completely bust your butt to work yourself into and succeed in and advance to higher leagues, however (and this even includes Open Division, where all you need is a premade team). But I think you were trying to equate that somehow with a game’s public competitive ladder system (such as Overwatch’s).

If you were questioning the matchmaking system that Overwatch uses, everything Blizzard has ever said about it (and they really have said a lot) is compiled in this topic (check the References section in the opening post):

2 Likes

I don’t think your question “Why?” is being taken seriously by yourself. Either the ranking system they have is justifiable or not. When it’s opaque, it’s not justifiable, except as brutish arguments such as “Why take it seriously?” or “It’s their company, they can do what they want with it.”

They are professionals, they should take their jobs seriously.

You realize this is a laughable response right? Either Blizzard is being professional in solving this particular problem or not. Whether they own it is utterly beside the point.

PS: Apparently I can only respond to a certain number of posts here before Blizzard blocks me from replying further…

Because Overwatch is not OWL.

Because OWL is professional league that takes years of grinding in open division and contenders to even get in to, and Overwatch is a video game meant to be played by anyone that buys it.

Because an online matchmaker dealing with random people over the internet is nowhere near the same thing as an organized league of professional players playing at the highest level of play.

And most importantly: Because the matchmaker has absolutely nothing to do with OWL, not at all.

Is it really that hard to understand that a matchmaker made for everyone from the lowest skill to the highest skill (which btw is still nowhere near the skill required to be a pro play), shouldn’t be designed as if all of those people were pros?

Can you honestly just not comprehend the difference between a game, and the professional side of said game?

3 Likes

From the part of my post you didn’t quote…

How do you determine individual skill if the only metric used for ranking is team wins and losses? Why should the worst performing person on the team and the best performing person on the team both be ranked equally?

As I said in previous posts, determining individual skill in a team-centric game is very hard, especially when you’re solely relying on software to do it. If you look at the successes and failures of drafts and trades done in pro trad sports (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, etc.,) by professional talent evaluators you can get a pretty good idea of the size of the problem Blizz is trying to solve.

And like other people have said, comp isn’t esports. If you want esports then join/build a team and play in tournaments and/or Open Division. Comp is just a global ladder that’s open to any owner of OW that’s reached level 25.

5 Likes

You’re getting to the root of one of the problems: the mixing of incommensurate queues. Warcraft III already solved this problem – if you want an individual rank then you solo queue; if you want a team rank then join the team queue.

Some people are going to contribute more when playing with friends who know each other’s play-styles and general team strategies than when solo-queuing with a bunch of strangers (and who aren’t necessarily very friendly or supportive). For this and other reasons it makes no sense to think you can properly order the individual in the ladder when what they are playing with a pre-matched team. Create separate ladders (like Warcraft III) and the problem is solved.

I realize they created AI to try to “solve” this but that’s laughable. No AI can comprehend the roles and strategies everyone’s coming up with and know how much someone actually contributed, this has been pointed out numerous times via various scenarios.

OP keeps ignoring this, but this is a huge point that they need to address. Sure, legitimate eSports need transparency, but comp isn’t an eSport. Why then does the competitive ranking system need to be transparent?

There are like 5 different tiers of eSports before Comp even begins to appear in the picture.

OWL
Contenders
Open Division
Collegiate
etc are all eSports, but competitive is not. Competitive is a casual mode.

The truth of this thread is just that it’s another person dissatisfied with their rank who thinks one of two things:

1. There’s a big conspiracy keeping them down

2. Knowing how the system works will suddenly make them better

5 Likes

Any reason for not showing how you are scored is an excuse, and unworthy of anything other than letting Blizzard hide all the flaws in its formulas.

No real sport hides its scoreboard or scoring process. The only reason Blizzard does is to favor itself.

2 Likes

I’m ignoring it because it’s a silly premise – tennis is a sport regardless of skill, cycling is a sport regardless of skill, etc. Obviously they have amateur categories.

“Competitive” and “eSport” should just be synonyms.

If your point is that their “Competitive” system is bastardized such that it’s not a true sport, well, that’s my point.

The truth is that that’s presumptuous. You should respond to what’s actually stated, not pretend you’re a mind-reader.

Apparently your mentality is such that you can’t understand why an amateur or beginner would want to be able to compete at his chosen sport in the same way as professionals (an honest transparent ladder system), ergo you grasp at straws to explain my posts. I can’t explain your mentality (please feel free to explain yourself), I can only ask you to observe the fact that amateur sports is really a thing many people like to do, and that if you corrupted that with insidious opaque algorithms the amateurs would complain.

Except one single fact that everyone here keeps ignoring:

COMP. IS. NOT. A. ESPORT.

It’s a game, nothing else. And comparing it to a professional sport is entirely pointless.

They aren’t. No matter how much you think they should be, it simply isn’t true.

“Esport”, since the words creation has always referred to professional video game play. You can’t change the meaning of language to suit your argument, that’s not how it works.

3 Likes

That’s not even a logical statement. Consider: “No matter how much you think murder should be illegal, it simply isn’t true.”

All you’re doing is repeating yourself over and over “COMP. IS. NOT. A. ESPORT.” But guess what: argument by emphatic assertion isn’t an argument.

Players deserve a transparent honest sportsmanship-like laddering system, regardless of skill level. For some strange reason you disagree with this premise. Well go ahead and make an actual logical argument for your strange viewpoint, but don’t just keep repeating “I disagree! I disagree!” ad nauseam.

Your entire argument is drawing cherry-picked parallels to physical sports and stating what “should” be and what players “deserve”, yet you’re going to try to call him out on fallacies?

The simple truth is that there is too much of a difference between eSports and physical sports. You can’t compare the two. What physical sport is created and completely controlled by a single company?

4 Likes

You’re trying very hard to ignore the point of my original statement so I’ll say it one last time:

“Esport” and “competitive” are not synonyms. That is a fact.

You are literally trying to argue against language, only to prove your point. This is beyond delusional.

I don’t, for someone that likes to call people “presumptuous” you really like to presume a whole lot about other people.

What I disagree with, is that blizzard not giving more info on the matchmaker makes them some evil organization that’s trying to hide something from players.

It’s nothing more than pandering of someone who thinks more info will fix the comp system. It won’t.

What it will do is wast a whole lot of their time trying to teach people how a complicated algorithm works.

But hey, that’s just my opinion. Keep hoping on the blizzard hate train, grasping at whatever straws you can to justify this blind hatred you seem to have for people just trying to make games.

I can see now that your not interested in reason, hope you find some sort of meaning to all this delusional rambling.

See ya. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

“Hello Mr. NFL commissioner. How do I get to the Super Bowl and how are teams formed?”

NFL commissioner… :man_shrugging:

Better yet, “How many points do I get when I score a touchdown?”

“That depends. You’ll see, just score and you’ll get points.”

“But what does it depends on?”

“That’s a secret or you might exploit it!”

:rofl:

4 Likes

No, you’re literally trying to dodge the substance of my point over a semantic quibble. Go ahead and take your quibbling “that’s not how eSports is defined” point, what remains is the fact that players deserve a transparent competitive system analogous to what we get for other sporting events.

You don’t want to call OW a “sport”, I think it is an electronic sport, regardless of the skill of the players or whether money is involved: winning takes strategy, skills, reflexes, training, teamwork. It’s a sport. Whether the word “eSport” is the status quo definition that would apply is a wholly separate, trifling and irrelevant, matter. (I’d argue they’ve mis-defined “eSport” – but again, separate point.)

Everything you’ve been saying is irrelevant dodging, so that’s a wise move.

Nobody forced Blizzard to design a bad matchmaker. The criticism is actually given because people love the game that they care that the matchmaker is good. You’re the one with the seething incomprehensible hate – for anyone who has ideas on how to improve things. You’ve literally done nothing but dodge my points and attack my motives. “See ya.”