One tricks being banned

Of course, being banned for no reason is awful, it sucks to be unable to play even though you’ve paid for the game and you watch your SR decay…

But maybe

If you lock a non-meta hero and cut communications with your team, and they report you because you play a team game completely solo, it’s not that weird?!

What do you think would happen if everyone on this forum just “innocently played the heroes we wanted to play”? Huh? What if I just lock my Genji in Competitive, then leave voice chat because my team is asking me to switch, then maaaybe, I’ll get reported, which is not that weird, is it?!

I’ll admit that it seems to happen more to Torb/Symm and non-meta heroes on the Forums, or at least they are the only ones vocal about it, but you have to understand, Symmetra on attack, is weird, Torbjorn is weak and requires his team to play around him.

So yeah, it’s not weird that you’re banned, in fact I’m inclined to believe you’ve earned it!

And I love the hypocrisy in the forum when they defend such people, I mean if someone on the Forum writes " I was banned for being toxic, but I wasn’t toxic " not a single being on the Forum would believe it, but " I was banned for INNOCENTLY playing my hero! " and everyone sympathizes!

I call bullsh*t on both cases, if you are banned, the overwhelming chances are you deserved it!

PS: Okay, I’ll heed your advice, I’ll just pick whatever I feel like playing, lock it, if someone asks me to change I’ll leave voice chat and continue to play what I like regardless if I’m countered, regardless if it works and regardless if it fits into my team’s comp*.

I’m so glad the majority of this community support solo play in a competitive team game.

60 Likes

Honestly most of the 1 tricks suck at their hero anyway. Yeah you might main so and so, but you’re still pretty garbage at the hero compared to the ones who aren’t screaming I main so and so and leave voice chat.

Side note, Liking a hero and only wanting to play it, doesn’t make you a “main” it makes you useless in comp play.

30 Likes

Main reason why one tricks say that they cut communications is because most of their experience is people turning into hostile toxic screeching beasts for seeing their pick at the start of the match.

And it does not matter as much if they report the people being toxic and insulting, because the toxic people outnumber them and false report them while also asking the enemy team to do the same.

45 Likes

I think people are upset at DPS slot being insta-locked by a 1 trick, than say a support 1 Trick.

Considering there are twice as many Heroes you can use for the DPS slot, than say a tank slot or support.
In a game where those DPS heroes can be easily countered and the supports usually have no answer to it besides depending on the team, if you pick DPS slot it sort of is part of your duty to counter the heroes that is countering you, and your team.

if you force your tanks/healers to swap just to counter, might end up losing vital utility like shields/healing/ults that counter/combo with ults, that doesn’t really need to be lost which could hurt the effectiveness of the team comp, instead can be in play still if the DPS that is being countered, used a different hero.

9 Likes

At this point I feel that the “One tricking isn’t bannable” is most likely a lie to not upset the one tricks, because besides the big public status ones, I don’t think other OTs have had their supension lifted

8 Likes

I’ve had plenty of one-tricks in my team who have refused to change, I can assure you in my experience none of them were asked aggressively from the get-go.

So yeah if you ignore kind requests to switch so we can improve our composition, you’re gonna be reported, which is earned.

Like I said, I also wanna play Genji all game every game, but I don’t! Because it’s not viable, and I would get reported!

3 Likes

So if I one-trick Symmetra on attack with more success than a flex player, I should be the one getting banned? Who’s the hypocrite???

19 Likes

There’s no way to prove you were useful in the victory.

Besides your point is completely hypothetical ,how can I argue with a hypothetical point?

There’s a reason Symmetra isn’t picked on Attack.

4 Likes

In the previous season you could one trick genji and no one would bat an eye, because it was a dive season.

Play a character considered off meta and everyone loses their mind. To various degrees.

That being said, some off meta picks can be good in good hands, however the stigma attached to them is what damns them in the eyes of other people. Which is what leads to people “asking” (majority of the time demanding, and majority of the time in a hostile toxic manner) them to switch or the person “asking” proceeds to throw the match and be worse intentionally then the person playing the off-meta pick.

Even when that off-meta pick should actually be good for the current meta.

4 Likes

No one would bat an eye if you’re good.

Hanzo and Widow are in the same situation this season, no one would ask you to change immediately, but if you are being steamrolled, you are definitely going to be asked to switch.

The same has happened to Tracers,Pharah and so on in my experience.

Usually people are open to allowing you to try this, they become toxic when you begin to lose, and people refuse to change.

It hasn’t happened to me because if the enemy team has a McCree and Hanzo, I switch from Tracer out of my own volition, because I’m at a severe disadvantage, many other people don’t though, which is a problem.

3 Likes

Say that to the people who get false reported right off the bat before they are even given a chance to prove they are good with the hero.

Which is why a lot of one-tricks have been winding up on Blizzard’s white list and getting their bans overturned regularly.

7 Likes

Yeah of course, it’s only the poor off-meta one tricks that get reported right off the bat.

I hate this honestly, there’s plenty of people who are reported falsely and the report is being abused, but nah we only care about the off-meta one tricks specifically!

I’ve not seen nor heard of a person just being automatically reported for playing a Torbjorn.

If I can get banned for playing a hero in the top 3% of players, what should happen to the 97% ? If I’m throwing, they must be throwing too, no?

3 Likes

You can’t be reported for playing an unpopular hero, you can be reported for refusing to change from any hero.

Guess what, if your team thinks they are losing cause of you, and they ask you to change, the report system gives the benefit of the doubt to 5 people instead of 1, which is completely logical and like I said, results in overwhelmingly correct assumptions on who to ban!

3 Likes

I love the hypocricy and double-standarding when people speak about one tricking.

One tricking is not breaking the rules because playing a hero is not a bannable offence, yet the community makes it a bannable offence anyway and stops the player from playing the game even outside competitive and punishing them when they are not breaking any rules. Avoid player is to be used when you do not want to play with a certain player, a punishment aka suspension should be used when player is breaking the TOS.

Player not breaking TOS should not receive suspensions, but because OW report system is now governed by the community, here we are, reporting people we just don’t like and stopping them from enjoying the whole game of overwatch, not just competitive because hypocricy and self-entitlement.

Meanwhile the same players love and praise players who also one-trick metaheroes such as mercy and (used to be) tracer and employ double standards where they want to punish players for playing their favourite heroes and excelling in competitive because they do not like these heroes and perceive them as bad, but at the same time licking the boots of onetrick mercy player to heal them.

You have never heard of a onetrick mercy player or tracer being unfairly suspended. Yet there are bunch of symmetra, torb, widow, hanzo etc. players who have gotten suspended, despite having VOD as proof of never being toxic to others and not being detrimental to their teams with high winrates and high skill level of play.

But hey, if community deems something as bad, it must be so right? The 67% winrate symmetra ranking up and almost to GM is the one in the wrong and must be punished for throwing my games because I perceive symmetra as horrible hero and they make my life harder, so I must remove them from my games.

22 Likes

I disagree, for one very simple reason. This community is extremely immature, selfish, and toxic. So I don’t trust any ban that comes around as a result of the community policing itself. If they community was mature and responsible enough to handle community policing tools like team avoids and reports, then we wouldn’t need them in the first place.

At the end of the day, one-tricking is not against the rules. Not using a mic isn’t against the rules. And the report feature is for people violating the rules, not for you to dole out punishments based on your personal pet peeves. Of course, no one who actually abuses the report system will listen to this. They are often just as selfish and myopic as the one-tricks they hate so much. The poor state of the community is not only reflected in people selfishly refusing to switch characters when necessary, but also in the people angrily demanding that they do so.

19 Likes

I don’t get it, if you have this awful view of the community ( Which I don’t necessarily disagree with ) why do you care about the one-tricks getting banned?

If your view is correct ( which I think it is ) then the one-tricks do the exact same thing, they are toxic, immature,selflish and abuse the report system.

And I stated at least 13 times throughout this thread that yes, playing a hero is not against the rules, but not being a team player can be viewed as against the rules. That’s why those people are reported, and that’s why they are banned.

1 Like

In my opinion, you should always play the hero thats best FOR YOU in the situration. I play Symmetra 80% of the time because she is the only hero I’m good at. And I win more games with 6 dps then 2-2-2 games with me playing something else. But if I have the feeling I can do more on another hero because it can counter the enemy team and I’m good enough to do my job on the hero, I switch.

1 Like

I don’t get it, if you have this awful view of the community ( Which I don’t necessarily disagree with ) why do you care about the one-tricks getting banned?

Because it’s not against the rules? And you shouldn’t be banned when you haven’t broke the rules. It’s pretty simple reasoning.

but not being a team player can be viewed as against the rules.

Anything can be viewed as against the rules if you ignore what Blizzard actually tells us constitutes rule violations, and instead just decide that anything you dislike is a bannable offense.

That’s why those people are reported, and that’s why they are banned.

They are banned because the report system is largely automated and community service representatives only have very limited information to determine whether a report is justifiable or not.

10 Likes

IF you wan’t to Onetrick -> Go and stay in QP.

Competive is mode where people actually WANT to win more than else. IF you must onetrick/not communicate/etc when it’s clear that you are dead weight for you team, you do deserve the ban. That’s just how it is and will be.

Sure, people do defend onetrick Genji/tracer/etc more, but hey. Ask yourself which one is better in 90% situations; Genji or Symmetra? I’m pretty sure you know the answer already.

But i do admit that some of the report are reports from people who make you the scapegoat when you lose. No matter how good you did.

5 Likes