Once more ow forums are ignored in favor of reddit

Can’t say I blame the devs, reading comprehension here is below average. If I said I don’t like to jog in the morning I expect a retort in the tone of “Don’t you know a sedentary lifestyle is a problem? You all just want everyone to be fat and weak…”.

3 Likes

Reddit is much more likely to reach the rest of the internet than these forums.

These forums keep thinking that the devs owe us something. That they should give us something simply because we are here, they dont.

2 Likes

It was an issue on the old forums when downvoting was a thing.

Suggest an idea, be it ability or hero back then and it’d get downvoted. Maybe one or two comments providing feedback and that’s it. I know because it happened during the annocement that Hanzo would be reworked.

At least here while there’s only likes it at least encourages a conversation over just downvoting and leaving. But there’s still false flagging issue here just that’s another story…

All I will say on the matter here is if your gonna be an artist of any kind, your gonna have to handle critism and feedback in your work. It can help strengthen you more then just hearing praises. Just don’t dwell on the negative.

2 Likes

Forums is such a sour place, not too long ago, someone asked for opinions on rework of a particular character. So I provided my point of view. Guess what I receive in comments, an overtly sarcastic reply which doesn’t even properly criticize my point!

Even a little bit of constructive activity is dealt with pitchforks by randoms. Are forums better for debates? No, they are few and far between. It is mostly filled up with greedy short-sighted opinions with lack of general decency.

Do people want to improve at the game here? No, they want the game to be toned down to their level so that skill/knowledge expression is not part of this PvP game.
“Why is the game balanced for pro players and GM, and not for my gold/plat level?”, when your average player doesn’t even want to understand why Reinhardt is not good for Gibraltr, thinks he is OP and can be spammed everywhere… I am no LhCloudy!

Why? Why would they want to have a high level game discussion here? Even r/cow is not perfect, but is perhaps the best place for interaction with people are truly passionate for the game

1 Like

ya i can agree on that but still when discussions do happen people there seem more sensible , i wish they looked at more balance discussions there though

Hopefully but there is lack of evidences that the things have changed.

Well, sure but that is mostly because of frustration. It is hard to watch the game that you loved is getting ruined.

3 Likes

And here’s why I dislike Reddit. Though, yes, makes perfect sense why companies would favor it.
Seems to be the direction for all online communication. Forums are being shut down whereas places like Reddit and Twitter prevail. Can’t stand Twitter for it’s no place for discussion and severely restricts your way to even do that with the character limits so no wonder some stupid drama happens all the time due to some badly worded posts (and just by the users overall tendency to seek something to be offended about).

2 Likes

Because we’re kind of jerks to be honest, the rest of the community looks down on us for a reason.

We also have some if the dumbest balance suggestions imaginable, I STILL see posts saying that Bastion is OP besides him probably being the weakest DPS anywhere outside of bronze.

2 Likes

because reddit has a karma system to weed out unsubstantiated threads, while the forum is a mess.

1 Like

Ironically enough a huge chunk of this forums toxicity has it’s roots in the basically complete absence of communication.

Just bring the AMA to the forums and simply ignore dumb questions and suspend people who take the opportunity to troll instead of trying to be constructive.

Staying away from your own forums, because you don’t want to bother to take proper care of it will only make things worse over time.

5 Likes

That happens with an upvote/downvote system. People are worried about getting downvoted so they tend to follow the group think.

I believe that’s the reason they actually nuked the old forums (that had the up/down system) and instead created this forum.

They got what the want…honest feedback.

5 Likes

Yep.

r/Overwatch - pretty much PotG.

r/Competitiveoverwatch - is just pro league.

r/OverwatchUniversity - is where players get help from GMs and Top500s.

Either thru reviews, coaching, or from discussions on how to play a hero vs different comps.

It’s easy to get free reviews there from GMs & Top500s.

2 Likes

I don’t blame them but they also do communicate with the forums a lot more recently. Lots of posts from Andy that Reddit has not gotten. :slight_smile: It’s also easier to facilitate the AMA’s through Reddit.

1 Like

I’d say it’s closer to 0.000000001%.

the overwatch forum is a toxic shthole why would devs go on here also more people use reddit

1 Like

There’s a general rule of thumb that’s known by most community professionals:

• Less than 10% of all players will ever even look at your forums or owned channels

• Of that 10%, less than 10% will ever be an active participant in the conversation on these owned channels

It’s important to understand that this in no way diminishes the usefulness of community discussion hubs (like forums). Forums serve as a microcosm of the larger OW community, representing viewpoints from many different segments of players; casual, what we call “Core Players”, competitive players, representation from marginalized groups such as BIPOC or LGBTQIA+, the list goes on.

Like I said previously in other threads, the current state and sentiment of the boards is our responsibility, and improving the general tone and tenor of dialog here is one of my top current priorities.

To be clear: as a community professional, I have a responsibility to both the development team and the players to ensure that any conversation we’re facilitating is productive and as free from hostility as possible. While I understand the sentiment that we should “rise above” vitriol and toxic comments, I will not knowingly put developers in a situation where they could be exposed to high amounts of toxicity that ultimately ends up muddying the original message and conversation, just as I would not knowingly impose such a conversation upon any of you.

I think most of you know this about me, but I love the Overwatch community. This game has held a special place for me since before launch. It’s a game I play regularly with my kids, and like many of you, it’s where I spend time with friends and loved ones. I believe that the OW community is an amazing, supportive, and passionate group of players. Players who want to feel better informed about the development of the game they love so much.

As a Community Manager, I’ve spent my career managing the rigors of player sentiment and conversation. I understand the toll that this works takes on the mental health and well being of those who spend any amount of time interfacing directly with community.

103 Likes

I think most people that have been in a situation where they’ve had to create something will understand this but…

Companies are just a collection of assets, processes and (:scream:)… people.

I would love to have an engaging conversation with developers here but I just know it’s not possible at the moment because even constructive comments are barbed with personal insults.

Expecting a person to NOT be affected by that is inhumane.

Reddit is only called an echo chamber of positivity because it functions essentially like real life - if you say something that people don’t like in real life, there are consequences.

The lack of consequences here lead people to say things that they never would in real life unless they plan to never have a job/friends/family.

5 Likes

I hate to he rude but have you seen the takes on here? Brig would be unbelievably busted if they listened to the fourms and Ana would be unbelievably trash. Tanks would also be busted and dps would be trash

1 Like

I don’t even think that’s the problem though. Even the “worst take” is rooted in personal experience and should be contextualized and listened to in my opinion.

Of course a brand new player in bronze will see Brig differently to an OWL player so all feedback should be contextualized.

However, low ranked people that are for Brig buffs will not simply say:

“Brig feels underpowered after all her nerfs”

They will say:

“Brig is trash now. Are you guys stupid? You’ve ruined the game. I have no faith in OW2 after you failed to balance…. Blah blah blah”

This is the problem.

1 Like

Oh Andy I don’t envy you…. :sweat_smile:

It’s amazing to me how often stuff gets said that shouldn’t have to be said….

2 Likes