Ok. If mercy isn't fun. How to rework? And why a mercy main theory

Skill floor and SKill cieling are two different things my friend,

I played a ton of Mercy back in the 1.0 days, and I notice a lot of people seem to be calling for Resurrect as an ultimate again. That’s all well and good (I really dislike Valkyrie in 2.0 and 3.0), but some things to remember:

1. Invulnerability was added to Resurrect because Mercy players were constantly being gunned down by enemy teams as they tried to drop their ultimate and bring teammates back into the fight. In fact, baiting out Resurrect was a surefire way to guarantee a staggered team spawn and also cancel out the single most potent ultimate in the game. The fact that Mercy had (and continues to have) terrible mobility means that if Resurrect is brought back without invulnerability, we will be back at square one.

2. Resurrect was then removed as a result of players feeling extremely upset that difficult plays resulting in wiping other enemy players could be undone with just the click of a button. This was compounded by the fact that Mercy players tended to adopt a hide-and-seek playstyle upon getting their ultimates, which in turn meant that you had to either invest all of your resources into finding her and killing her (which in turn also meant the arrival of the dive composition in competitive play), or actively focus her down after killing her team (which was then removed by invulnerability).

Failing to address either of these concerns and restoring Mercy back to 1.0 status just completes the cycle of not actually fixing anything. It should be notable that the best Mercy players at high tiers knew how to ‘tempo rez’, which meant they treated the ultimate more like a significant ability than something to be hogged for over 3 minutes and massive team fights for that one big play. Finding the equilibrium between the ‘tempo rez’ and bringing back more of your teammates (or faster cooldowns) will probably be critical if resurrect as an ability wants to remain in the game.

Yes skill floor is how hard it is to pick up and play the hero…

Skill ceiling is how far you can take the hero and push the hero for every extra bit of impact.

The floor has to suffer some to increase the ceiling. It must be a fundamental change to the mechanics of the hero

Lucio is a perfect example of how to rework

Fundamental what?
GA and her beams are fine, tey have been fine for forever. The 60 HPS was even attached to a D list her once
So whatever the problem with this is it’s not in the core that is the beams and her Guardian Angel. BLizzard just gimped one of them because they refuse to admit that Res is too powerful for an E ability

2 Likes

No. She was as strong as she was now before. There were better options.

Lucio is an example of how to rework…

His floor got raised but so did his ceiling

She’s weaker than she used to be.

How do you propose we increase Mercy’s skill floor at all because if it involves aim based healing or an alteration to Gaurdian angel I’ll tell ya right now unless it comes with the most amazing mass rez ever it’s not going to fly. Even then I doubt it’d fly

There’s a Guardian Angel pun in here somewhere

1 Like

bring back the slingshotting that existed for a few a days after the rework before they nerfed it. That was fun as hell

So a couple things. I didn’t like mercy before because she had so much impact for such a boring character. It’s not the ease of use I have a problem with in picking mercy. It’s that she’s boring. After the rework she was still boring, but a must-pick. Why should I have to sacrifice fun in order to have an impact as a main healer? But now some support balances went through and I think she’s relatively balanced (don’t think she needed the 10HPS nerf, but eh…), I just don’t play her because she’s bland. If they could make her more interesting without losing the relatively balanced state…I say go for it.

A bueatiful pun but also my menaing yes.

replace damage boost with a more proactive ability.
just throwing random ideas out (they might be bad) but so you get the idea:
-make it more like symmetras new weapon, as in stronger but no auto aim (only the damage booster, not the heal)
-replace the damage boost completely, and instead make it a cleanse. that way, you can prevent incoming CC and have to be more aware and practice better timing. with a cooldown of course.

and if we go away from the “full on support” thing, simply replace damage booster with a disengage ability, like a silence. not necessarily a damaging ability, but one that targets enemies and prevents them from killing you in some way.

This thread is about making her more fun, not reverting her. Her kit was SMALLER before so that whole “she’s less fun because of the rework” makes no sense.

She’s less fun. She’s boring and obsolete to play.

Just because she has more sh* to do doesn’t mean she’s fun.
And her ultimate does her job of juggling targets for her.

I actually had more fun when she had fewer abilities and resurrect as her ultimate. I felt like I could make an impact on the game and now I feel like I can’t do anything when I use Valkyrie.

“Oh, cool… I’ll just sit in the sky and uh… watch while everyone dies… go team…”
“Oh, you’re low! Let me heal-- oh… there’s a Winston… sorry, guess my crappy HPS can’t keep you alive…”

Remove rez and give her another ability then revert all nerfs.

I don’t want a rework just an ability that needs to die.

Just remove Rez. Rez is only a pain in the back side. I’m always dying while using it when all I’m trying to do is use Angelic Decent to assist moving around the map. PS4 player.

Mercy is the highest mobility suport to those who know how to use her abilities. Rez locking her in place is death. Especially when that’s not what your trying to do and console has too few options for mapping.

I actually find her more fun because I’m not asked to play her 80% of the time when I pick Main Heals.

1 Like

On this I agree. I flex play and I usually have to pick up support. Which I do love playing but until this last patch I was feeling very pressured to pick Mercy. Now I have more fun because I can pick other support and not feel like I’m being judged as a thrower. Overall enjoyment of the game is up.

You… do realize that’s not the same thing as making Mercy herself more fun to play… right?

I do. I was trying to share in some humor but it’s true that overall enjoyment for me went up when I don’t feel pressured to specific hero’s.

My comment above on replacing Rez is a serious suggestion because that ability makes my Mercy experience feel like crap in intense game play.