Ok can someone please tell me why Pursuit is cheating?

As I said in another post, if Pursuit is considered cheating (post-match stats analysis) then coaching is surely cheating too. I do find it ironic however that Pursuit is on the ‘to be banned’ list.

2 Likes

Usually you need a third party program like OBS to record the video. If this is really true i am done with blizzard. TO: Please show us the email.

1 Like

Remove TIPS in game and also Killcam.
These features give you information how you died and ingame tips on how to play the game.

4 Likes

That’s not really the same, its kinda disingenuous to say so. Observing the game and discussing it as a person is different from an application that collects data and informs you of things that would be human assumption.

To clarify, I am not personally making a stance on the topic. I am merely trying to help people make sense of Blizzard’s logic.
I am not a Blizzard employee, so I can’t say much about their policies and their potential hypocrisy. All I know is that the developers have just now made a stance and I am able to make sense of it.

I imagine OBS is fine as it doesn’t directly provide an advantage over other players. But as said above, I’m not a Blizzard employee so I don’t know their policies inside-out.

Before the email:

Community> Visor is cheating. What is Pursuit? Oh, it only collects stats after the game? Not cheating.

After Blizzards email lumping Pursuit and Visor together:

Community> Visor is cheating. Pursuit is also cheating. I don’t know what it does, but I’m going to say it is because Blizzard says so and I don’t care to understand what it does. Or that Pursuit actually got approval from Blizzard through OWL.

^ Human nature at its finest. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Except OBS records your screen, not necessarily interacts with the Overwatch application.

Yeah that makes sense. Banning it while coaches still exist is still dumb though as long as it stays free, since it levels the playing field against people who would shell out money for VOD reviews. I do understand what you’re getting at though.

1 Like

Pursuit just records the screen, and extracts the data from the area of your screen and calculates statistics on their servers. Blizzard should sue Pursuit.gg if its illegal, instead of banning players.

yeah whatever, protect innocent players and ban real cheaters.

1 Like

They probably would do both if they continue. I think perhaps they should consider alternatives to mediate it like give us new forms of collecting real time data or like an improved stats section during a game.

I don’t understand this argument, essentially every program on your computer not by blizzard is third-party. Does this mean if you track your stats in windows notepad you should be banned because you’re using a third party program to improve?

2 Likes

My view is that if it is giving you stats in real time (or so close to real time that it makes no practical difference) while playing then it’s cheating. If it’s not then it should be fine.

The difficulty for Blizzard lies in their ability to determine what the software is actually doing. So a blanket ban may be necessary for that reason.

The effort is appreciated, really. But at this point I don’t believe it’s possible to make sense of their logic. Not with the way third party software for hearthstone exists - which, as can be seen on streams often enough, does actually occasionally provide the player with information they absolutely should not have access to, and thus grants them unfair advantage.

Whoever made the decision to ban pursuit, made a bad decision. And it can be seen by the massive backlash of both the community and the professional players and coaches.

1 Like

In this case, notepad is not automatically collecting the data for you so it’s okay.

I still don’t know if this is a troll-thread or if i am getting banned within the next few days. Can somebody link me to an official statement?

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/unauthorized-third-party-software/213220/4
Literally pinned.

1 Like

so there is no problem with pursuit.

Yeah, Tom replied to someone on the thread saying both Visor and Pursuit aren’t allowed.

Doesn’t it directly affect their game? I mentioned in an earlier post today that sometimes companies try to avoid these types of third-party programs for legal and technical issues. Sometimes its out of their hands and they don’t like that when they can’t manufacture or cater their services for a specific experience they’re trying to offer (especially if they’re not in a partnership). This is just typical business practice.

Now maybe they can accept and permit these types of software if its a broadly accepted application like notepad or even discord. But in these cases, everyone has access to a notepad-like app and while not everyone uses discord, at the very least, has access to their in built voice system as an alternative. But in this case, I and many others don’t use an app like this, I don’t have an alternative offered by the company either, so opponents have some questionable advantage over me. This is probably where the gray area is and they probably don’t want to dance around this.