(OFFICAL) MCCREE's NAME IS CHANGING!

That the solution that the “team” found was to change the name of a character, gives you the idea that they are at a very miserable level and are trying to float even though they are fine deep down. That´s sad.

Although the name is based on a harassing developer, it does nothing.
This stain is not removed with anything or anyone.

Maybe Jeff knew this disaster was coming and that’s why he quit. Or maybe it was part. who knows…

1 Like

Honestly, 5 years won’t just disappear.

Making the cowboy as distanced as possible from that behavior without changing his name feels like the apt choice.

Glass half full half empty situation. You can either make mccree fall into infamy thinking it’s the right move because an alleged harasser doesn’t get to have his same name, or you make jesse mccree THE mccree. Which in reality, it is what it is. For 99+% of the people.

PS: This reality where people at the OW team have been abused by the dev and will finally find peace is the worst of takes because it means they KNEW this happened and they didn’t organically transfer from mccree to another name. It’s all AFTER the lawsuit and screenshots, which makes me just DOUBT ( X ) of the motives.

2 Likes

You can trust Blizzard all you want, but they destroyed mine. I sincerely doubt it isn’t anything less than for press because guess what is happening to their precious OWL? Sponsors are dropping. This is them saying, “See? look, we have no ties with them!” as they try to do damage control. “it’s for the team” is hogwash.

I’m not buying it.

lmao what’s the point? you can’t remove 6 years of your past where his name was mccree, he will always be remembered by mccree

1 Like

What’s in a name?
That which we call a rose,
By any other name
would smell as [cheap].

1 Like

You can choose not to believe the CM but at that point it’s kind of a confirmation bias thing. You think what you think and no amount of arguments or evidence will change that.

That isn’t what confirmation bias is, but you are right- they can say it all they want, but it isn’t evidence to change my mind, nor was i asking anybody to. People lie, y’know.

Isn’t a big part of confirmation bias ignoring information contrary to your belief? You’re hearing this from a primary source, an employee in the OW team.

I don’t know why you think they’d lie when they could have just stayed silent.

No, confirmation bias is a different thing.

I already gave a reason of why I think they’d lie- to appease their sponsors by distancing themselves from it.

Confirmation bias is when you look for information supporting your belief, interpret information in a way that supports your belief, and, out of necessity, ignore or try to discredit information contrary to your belief. If you didn’t do that last part, it couldn’t be confirmation bias because you’d would have to seriously consider the other side as a possiblity.

I highly doubt the developers of OW themselves are working the legal side of things that often. They’re separate from the people doing the sponsorship agreements. It’s a lot of work to pile onto the dev team (that’s actively working on a sequel) if the exclusive goal is to keep sponsors happy.

That’s just my suspicion. I’m not gonna pretend that I’m knowledgeable about this and I’m not gonna pretend that my word is fact, but neither should you. You know just as much as I do about the internal side of this game. To completely adhere to your narrative about this is a really narrow way of looking at things. This issue, by nature, is a lot more complicated than what any of us think.

I am not saying it is a fact. It is of my opinion that this is just another ploy to appease sponsors. I’m not sure what more you want from me.

If changing a name of a fictional game character appeases their emotions than that is fine. Will it actually change the game at all? NO.

If it makes you feel better that is good. However looking at blizz from the outside it appears it is in a death spiral. Perhaps you should be polishing resumes instead of changing names of characters.

Always finding new and creative ways to waste money on unnecessary changes.

4 Likes

Flexibility, I guess. And faith that the people on this team are sympathetic enough to their co-workers that this change might not be entirely monetary.

If they had a better track record, I would for sure. But I’m doubtful of their motives, for what I believe are good reasons.

Either way, it doesn’t ultimately matter. Like I said originally, I don’t particularly care about the name change, I just don’t think it’s going to do any victims justice. I wish they would take a heavier approach to dismantling the ability for abusers to take advantage of their workers. If that ever happens, I would feel much more obligated to believe this move isn’t for shallow reasons.

1 Like

Why would this be the case? It’s obvious that people even people who are trying to use the new name will forget and say the old one out of habbit. It’s not like the name is the N word or something like that.

I agree with you on that front. Changing his name definitely isn’t fixing the problem. It’s not even a first step. It’s fair not to trust them, I think.

But I also don’t want to unjustly diminish the impact this has on the employees. Obviously, we don’t know for certain that any of then care, but we also don’t know that they don’t. I feel like rushing to either conclusion isn’t doing this justice. There’s a lot of facets here and a lot of perspectives to consider and I know we’re not seeing most of them.

Maybe while you’re at it you can nerf the obnoxious turd?

Put that FtH BS on a cooldown, increase the spread, or nerf the ridiculous damage.

Put his health back to the sensible amount of 200.

Make Flash a skill involving ability or return it to a less forgiving state.

Reduce his RoF back to old.

ANY of these would be welcome. He hasn’t been balanced since he was at 200HP with slower RoF and larger spread on his FtH. It’s disgusting!

You don’t understand. They ARE the “Twitter People”.