OBS streaming Overwatch might not be safe as 3rd party violation

Looks like OBS streaming / capture technology has been flagged as unauthorized 3rd party app, due to recent warning messages sent.

As it is not clear how post game analysis violates the terms and how the parts are identified, can the OBS streaming itself be considered against rules.

Would it be safest to just not stream or run OBS at all until there is clarification whether video capture is ok.

8 Likes

Ya, let’s just not stream at all. Gotta keep account safe and not use any 3rd party app.
Also please remove literally everything else that might or might not affect your gameplay, like f.lux, Discord overlay etc.

Overwatch is at its lowest anyway, why would anyone stream it when there are tons of better games

7 Likes

OBS has no impact on competitive performance. Youre good to go streaming the game.

1 Like

But if you stream and if chat gives you tips how to improve, you are getting advice and tips on positioning.
BAN OBS.

13 Likes

Tbh you can be a bronze player streaming your game and have a GM player sharing their game knowledge and telling you what to do through out the game :thinking: hmmm

8 Likes

agree

I was in bronze and had a few higher leveled friends visit my stream and give me advice for the next team fight. Seems like streaming Overwatch needs to be banned. You have your entire chat at your disposal to Ult Track for you

3 Likes

Yeah, makes sense.

2 Likes

It most definetly has, you might look at your recordings and learn something from them, giving you an advantage over people who cant record. Also viewers on twitch can coach you (in realtime) which is obviously hacking

2 Likes

if you are not getting warnings for it, I see no reason not to use it.

Also maybe programs should be detected at game launch instead instead of letting the person use them.

People have gotten the warnings already, if you use OBS you’re risking to get permabanned the way it is right now

1 Like

That’s the joke o o f

This uncertainty exactly, as they mention that Pursuit is strictly forbidden - what about recording/streaming with OBS and then sending that to analyze using still Pursuit application.

There is no game interaction or anything else. Now we start to get into very gray area of what is allowed and what is not. The methods of taking the video and then uploading it to analysis gives the same “unfair advantage” as is the basis of the prevention.

Technically I would like the statement about OBS and the allowed usage of video analytics, as the post made today applies to that “unfair advantage” as well.

Same ground technology, same basis of usage, should invalidate VoD based coaching altogether then as well I interpret.

3 Likes

They only blocked Visor and Pursuit specifically.

So id imagine recording softwares are safe.

Get lost with your fake outrage.

How exactly does OBS provide unfair advantage in Competitive to those who use it over those who don’t?

First of:

This^

Secondly:

This^

And for the last:

I use OBS basically everyday and did not get an Email

They didn’t, they statet what sort of stuff is forbidden now, technically OBS is that

2 Likes