[Nvidia driver 445.75] Rendering device lost

Hey all,

It looks like there is a pattern of reports from Nvidia card owners experiencing “Rendering device lost” crashes in Overwatch since updating to the 445.75 drivers. Looking up these reports they are showing a specific “driver error” code on the back-end, so we suspect there may be an issue amiss with the driver install.

Similar reports will be moved to this thread just for consolidation.

Old information removed.

[Updated on April 19th] New drivers have been released for Nvidia, please update the drivers to version 445.87.

4 Likes

Hi, I am having a similar issue after the new update ( i have not changed any setting or power/hardware in ages). I tried changing my gpu setting and still had no way to make it work. Only way it worked is downloading nvidia profile inspector and then deleting overwatch game profile, and you probably have to do it every time you launch.

I think the issue lies with the new patch and is causing issues overall with this since nothing has change in my system or overclocking etc. Eitherway it would be nice to have someone look into the update to see if it can be resolved.

I have an unoverclocked setup with an RTX 2070 Super and believe the latest patch caused the game to crash on start with “Your rendering device is lost…” error. Got black screen, unable Alt+Tab out or go to a different application window; only Windows key works (allowing for restart). Renaming the Overwatch.exe file seems to fix it, deleting the nvidia profile also seems to fix it. Just sharing my experience. Hope this helps.

Anyone having this issue with the new NVIDA driver 445.75 released yesterday I fixed this simply by redownloading the driver and then ticking the “Clean Install” when installing.

Had to apply all my Nvidia settings again but it works.

Hope this helps some of you.

1 Like

Yes the problem was fixed for me until a few days ago. Now I get the rendering device lost error instantly when starting the game unless I rename the .exe again.

I have an RTX 2080 TI and with the newest nvidia driver I got today (445.75) I have been getting this error. I’ve stopped over clocking my cpu and gpu as well as making sure all other software was up to date. I have been able to get into the log inscreen where it says connecting but then crashs to black and hard crashes my full pc.

Did you manage to fix it? I’m having the same problem, after Nvidia’s new driver update yesterday. I was just playing yesterday…before the update.

I can confirm this works! I updated my NVIDIA driver to 445.75 today and got the “Rendering Device Lost” error. I followed all the steps on the the Overwatch technical site about cleaning the file systems and all that.

I had to do the Clean Install by clicking Custom Installation when redownloading the driver in GeForce Experience.

Thanks @Loutish-21938 for the tip!

1 Like

i have the same issue pop us screen says" you have lost your rendering process"
i have updated my 2070 super drivers and still does not work…
noted that WORLD of WARJUNK is working. rather play uno then that game though.

1 Like

I have the same Issue.
I have a GeForce 1070Ti, removed all razer synapse from my PC
Updated my drivers (Im able to play heroes of the storm and call of duty just fine)

I think I isolated the issue, at least for me. On the new drivers I consistently get this problem when using Image Sharpening. After turning it off it works just fine.

Go to Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings and turn off Image Sharpening.

1 Like

Thanks for the update RefY!

Looks like Nvidia has released a hotfix driver 445.78 for this issue.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5009/kw/445.78

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m gonna test it now, thankfully I found this thread! :slight_smile: The game was crashing in the middle of the fights :frowning:

Can confirm that turning off image sharpening worked for me as well!

1 Like

I just had a freeze in overtime for the first time ever. Was getting about 290 fps and suddenly frozen. I am using driver version 442.5 RTX 2080 Ti temps around 75

Didnt really see what the error said as was trying to get back in the match.

Should I try 445.78 or is this likely a different issue?

Edit
Played about 3 more games and got a bluescreen this time. Clearly an overwatch issue… guess I will not play until the next patch. No probelms with anything else.

1 Like

I was having Bluescreen too, even after the patch posted. What I did was set the ram memory to default profile, not xtreme, and I haven’t had issues for now. Maybe it will work for you too.

Nvidia has released new drivers that should have the hotfix patched in. If you are experiencing this issue on the 445.75 drivers, please update the drivers to version 445.87

First post has been edited to reflect this update!

I have resolved all crashes for all games on my 3090 by GPU undervolting.

here is how:

maybe for 10 and 20 series it will work too :thinking: