Now Hiring @ Blizzard

History repeats itself and digging finds answers. Though I suppose that doesn’t matter.
Never really intended to be a part of the forums, I just lurk at the least and post people’s links for them at the most. Sorry to hear that about this place and how you seemed to like it, though it’s best to just leave it all together. Plenty of places I’ve “wandered” into and seen it fall apart and they never got any better. I know the feeling.

The problem is that Blizzard won’t say “Welcome to the balancing team. Go ahead and balance the game as you see fit”. They are more likely to say “You’ll be working closely with the OWL team, and your job is to balance the game from evaluating OWL matches and their team player input”.

Anyone who thinks lack of balance in the game is mainly because of poor employee skills is a bit naive. The game is most likely near perfectly balanced according to top management, the ones directing the balancing team. If you’re a vehicle engineer ordered to design a five wheel car, that’s what you have to do to the best of your ability. Even if you think a five wheel car is a pretty bad idea.

2 Likes

That’s just a picture of Torb in the launcher hence the engineer part. They’re looking for a lot more than that.

h ttps://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/all/overwatch/all/all/1?blzcmp=app

If only that’s how the game industry worked these days. Games are corporations as big as movie companies now, anyone hired probably has zero say in any kind of direction of the game.

4 Likes

I really want to but Im already a character artist on a tiny indie project for 2 years now…and the thing is I have been really the only character guy the team has so I can’t just leave…It’s alright but I get paid peanuts :skull:

90k for a software dev in that part of california is outright insulting in any other industry. Like average 1 bed rent prices are 2075ish a month.

3 Likes

They couldn’t pay me enough to commute on that gawd awful 405 freeway.

3 Likes

And work for activision?

No thank you, no amount of money would suffice👌

2 Likes

I can already see people ending like the guy that had to announce Diablo Mobile, i dont think its worth it XD

1 Like

Approximately 10% of what the CFO gets. Nice!

There, i fix it for you.

1 Like

Wow all I gotta say is the OP needs to get a job and then you’ll quickly realize a new hire has zero say in anything that is done at that company. Even if you were hired on the balance team you’d just be a gopher for the people working there.

4 Likes

What big game companies are better?

(Actual question here–I’m curious, if you happen to know! My completely uninformed guess might be that Valve could potentially be a decent company… but by-and-large all big companies in the gaming industry are fairly terrible to work for and people are in it because they’re passionate about gaming.)

They’re all shyte tbh. All of them.

1 Like

I recall one of them went onto work for Valve and would make more money and another went on to Square Enix. I haven’t seen any of them in so long I’m not too sure how they’re doing now anymore. They were regular customers at a hobby shop I worked at and a lot of Blizzard employee’s played Warhammer and D&D at the time.

1 Like

Dude, shoe shining is serious business. Don’t you talk trash about shoe shiners.

3 Likes

It is when you consider how long your work week is and the fact that your office is located in one of the most expensive places to live in the country.

It’s no secret that a lot of these employees are also doing things like Uber/Lyft driving during their “time off” in order to afford to make rent and eat. Not too shabby aye?

Look at the people in this thread saying “I’ll work for free” and wonder WHY they get away with exploiting their workforce in the way they do. “Oh you want to be able to afford to live from your wages? well there’s the door, we have a line of people ready to take you place”

Probably why they have the listing in the first place, someone wanted a few more crumbs off the CFO’s plate so LOL BYE! :wave:

2 Likes

If it only worked that way.

I was going to type the same thing, but with a /s at the end.

That would be a pretty awful job.

Boss: ”I want to decrease cooldown on Shadowstep by one second.”
You: ”Ok. Devs, decrease cooldown pls!”
Boss: ”And give Tracer 20% more damage…”
You: ”Sure. Devs, increase her dmg by 20%!”
Boss: ”Can you get me a cup of coffee while you’re at it?”
You: ”Well, my job description is balance, not barista, sir.”
Boss: ”Oh right. Can you increase Hog’s hook damage by 5% instead then?”
You: ”No worries. Devs! Give hook dmg 5% increase!”

1 Like