[Oceanic] High Latency or Connecting to Wrong Servers

I am queued in the Asian servers even though I’m from the oceana region this is for competitive can you explain why this was so necessary to place me in a Asian server when I’m not from Asia :joy: (Also lost the match because of this thanks Blizzard)

(PS4 - Competitive queue estimated time before match: 13:34mins under Americas servers - Oceana Region)

3 Likes

Same.

I’m in Australia but I got connected to LAX1 2 times in a row.

I’m with iiNet.

2 Likes

Last time this was due to a ISP issue but now I’m not even sure

1 Like

i think it is evident that this is no longer just a client ISP issue, maybe the ISP that looks after the connection at the SYD servers, but it is definitely not our client-side. too many people on different lines on different ISP’s

This happened 2. Today. No more then 2x so I suggest you help me figure how it works then

Thank you for your reports! We’re taking a look at what’s happening here over the last couple of days. Could the following be provided?

• Device (PC, PSN, Xbox, Switch):
  • Regional Server (Example: LAX1, ORD1, SYD1) - Press CTRL+SHIFT+N to open up the Network Graph, this will be next to the IP address at the top left corner of the graph.
  • WinMTR test while the issue occurs:
  • Let’s also grab a WinMTR test for the Oceanic realm to compare what’s happening. Use the IP Address: 37.244.40.1

I am in Victoria, Australia and in the past couple week or so i’ve been regularly put in games with ridiculously high ping, up to and above 300ms. The other players in my games say they are also from Australia and also are getting very high ping during these games. So far nobody from any other country has spoken up within these games, so as far as I know a bunch of Aus players are just playing games on foreign servers or something. It’s not every game, but it’s frequent enough to be extremely frustrating. What is up and can we get that to not happen any more please

I’m assuming your ISP has been taking the wrong route to reach Blizzard Entertainment. Usually when a mass amount of people get displaced around the world it’s due to your ISP going the wrong way to reach Blizzards Servers. Other threads I have closely watched and monitored shows package loss through the ISP route and some people even ending up in Asian servers.

My opinion personally would be to wait and see for a support to reply to this thread they may be able to assist in troubleshooting your ISP. What I can recommend for the time being is restarting your router via shutting it down, this may clear the cache as well as reboot your router if this doesn’t work please wait for a Blizzard employee to reply to your thread

Thanks,

unfortunetly, as much as i would like to agree with you, this has been an issue that occurs every 2-3 weeks,

we confirmed in the past it is not just a single ISP, it is all of Australia and new Zealand,

ISP’s in AUS dont/cannot hold areas or cities to thier own service. we have choice of up 2 3 different cable lines, and many many more ISP’s to chose from,

this occurs in NZ and aus, so even the lines themselves can be managed by different companies,

something is up with the servers, and it has not been getting fixed, feels like a patch instead,

1 Like

Yes I am aware of these situations that do occur but if you look into the thread you linked (the last one) I was included in that thread as I had this issue in the past

It doesn’t occur at all for me except that one time, so your ISP needs to be looked into further, you cannot possibly be hopping servers because it isn’t your ISP

It’s best in these kind of events it’s to be handled by support, they can take you through troubleshooting steps, also threads will have information from past customer support that you can follow if need be

Heya XxYLGxX,
This seems to be a blizzard issue. In training room I am on the SYD2 servers but in games they go to LAX1 or PSE1. If it was an ISP routing issue you would expect the training room to go to the other servers as well.

Also Blob is right, it happens all too often in AUS/NZ in that it affect’s multiple ISP’s at once with different backhaul companies. Again this point’s to either Amazon (who host’s Overwatch servers) or Blizzard accidentally causing the issues.

I think it’s just you both having issues because I’m in New Zealand and everything is completely fine

If it’s not a ISP issue can you tell me what exactly seems to be the issue? All I’m doing is applying knowledge and it seems like you both know more about it then I do so can’t you tell me what’s going on thanks?

As I understand it, and happy for a network professional to correct me.
If it was an ISP or backhaul issue than if I was on the SYD2 server (which I am for the practice range), I would expect a high ping or an unstable connection. Since my ping is staying at a normal level and it’s consistent (can use third party programs to test) than it more or less rules out the ISP/backhaul.

I believe Amazon(AWS) has it’s own crazy routing system and I’d say Overwatch uses it’s own way as well. Either way it’s the Overwatch tech teams area to look at.

Now if I was never getting access to the practice range or it was an unstable/high ping while in the SYD2 server than I’d agree that the ISP may be the issue.

Hope this was written well enough. Sorry if it’s not :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same happening to me and a mate also based in VIC.

It is definitely a blizzard issue not an IP issue as multiple people with a wide range of ISP’s are having similar issues.

Most ISPs in one region share the same routing partners and major hubs. That’s likely where the problem is, but I know no one will believe it :slight_smile:

We’ve been through this before Nicole. Unless you have a solid understanding of how networking works at a routing level I would suggest not commenting on this unless your sole purpose is to irritate people for no reason.

This is the only game this occurs for and Blizzard refuse to admit it’s their problem. We simply wait for it to magically disappear and blizzard go “No problem anymore, this thread is locked”.

But I know you won’t believe it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nicole, thanks for your reply :slight_smile:
You are right that a lot of ISP’s share the same routing partners and major hubs, especially since a lot of our ISP’s are just resellers. In saying that, if I have normal and stable routing to the SYD2 servers, then why would I be put on overseas servers?

That’s the part that doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

This is the part that has always not made sense when these issues occur. I have tried asking this before and even proved that during an “affected period” my ping to numerous Sydney OW servers (IP’s collected from in-game and written down) never goes above 45ms.

Yet, somehow, Blizzard manage to say this isn’t their fault and that it’s a problem with peering/ISP’s.

If they could just increase the verbosity of the logging on their matchmaking system, I’m sure they could actually tell us why this keeps happening.