Not able to use text chat while a controller is connected [PC]

So i’m playing with a controller on pc.
And i was always able to use my keyboard for the text chat and then go back to playing with the controller.
Now i can only open then chat window (by pressing Enter) and after that, nothing happens while I’m typing.
Are others experiencing this as well, or is this something unique to my installation?

Oh and this is in game behavior. i Haven’t checked if its in the menus as well.

6 Likes

I’m having the exact same issue! Can open the chat window, but nothing beyond that.

If I turn my mouse on it recognizes it and then I can chat, but I can’t have the mouse on while I use a controller cuz it stuffs around with the aiming hey

2 Likes

Yes same issue, looked into a lot of things, I disabled video over lays like fraps and GeForce experience, uninstalled the game, re-installed the game, updated all drivers, constant re-starts, nothing fixes it, also to add on to your OP the only way I can navigate out of the chat box after I hit enter is to move the left analog stick. Also happens in menus, and when I disconnect the controller the issue still persists

Also on an unrelated note my game intermittently minimizes having to alt-tab to get back in game, which has lost me a few, you guys wouldn’t know a fix to that would you? I know it’s off topic but I’d like to find a fix to that as well.

But in all honestly this needs to be upvoted to the top to make it a priority for Blizzard to have a look at as it only became an issue with 1.53.00-74102, so… waiting for a fix

2 Likes

Update 10/26/20

Issue persists

PLZ HALP

3 Likes

Same issues. Blizz plzz

2 Likes

I have the same issue from weeks!! :frowning: It’s very frustrating

2 Likes

Same issue here ! They need to change it the way it was before the chat patch…

1 Like

I’ve had this issue for a while, still having it. Makes the game basically unplayable, as so few people enter voice chat, and there’s no way to coordinate. Any fixes on the way?

1 Like

I have the exact same issue here. I hope Blizzard notices this post and starts working on fixing it. It’s very annoying being unable to communicate in quick play.

Same issue, I’ve been having it for months. It makes the game near unplayable with how few people use voice chat.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. Just a chat box but can’t type.

1 Like

Problem’s been around since the Halloween update, yet they still haven’t addressed it. Text box and menus get stuck, forcing me to quit games. PLZ FIX BLIZZARD!

1 Like

More than three months and the problem still exist!!! Horrible lack of support

3 Likes

Try this: Right after loading Overwatch, use the mouse to select the game mode, then press Enter to activate chat and type. Cancel chat, then start the game using the controller. When I do this, chat works after that. It seems that if I use the controller to start the game, the keyboard somehow gets deactivated.

If that doesn’t work, try unplugging the controller when starting the game, then plug it in after typing something in the chat window.

Yeah, Blizzard you guys really need to fix this. It’s been like this for months.

1 Like

Thanks for the info RustyParrot, I did this and it worked, but when I did it a second time it disabled my controller, so I had to unplug and replug in the controller and it worked, yeah I had taken an extended break from the game and this bug was here upon return.

This has been an issue for six months with no response from Overwatch. What is happening?

1 Like

Mine will minimize if I have the game running on 1 monitor and having something else showing on monitor 2. It will keep doing it until I close whatever is on monitor 2. Overwatch must get jealous. lol

This is the answer to the problem until it gets fixed for real.