No one will quit after 222

This 222 discussion is way more about players play-style and improving matchmaker than balance or anything else.

I guess the devs released the game thinking that people would flex more and even use situational heroes, but most players didn’t do that. A lot of people main some heroes in certain roles and they wanna use the hero in many situations, they don’t swap frequently.

I think this “main some heroes” was the play-style that made the devs think about 222 in the first place. Then they thought about separate SR per role to improve matchmaker, because it will know the player’s intention to play that role. Then balance will be a consequence of how much role limit they put in the game, be it 222 or some limit else.

I see that it could be possible to have different role SRs and, in some how, swap roles middle match. Be it swapping roles within a group with your teammates or even in solo q (with a 222 role limit).

The option to swap roles should be known before queue and then the matchmaker just use the highest role SR to put the player into a match. i.e. it would be unfair if a Diamond Support and Master DPS player could queue as a support, go into a diamond level match and swap to master dps and perform better in that role. But instead the matchmaker put this player in a master level game to be a support (while being diamond support) and it won’t be unfair if he swap back to his Master DPS heroes to help his team.

The separate SR will be way more complex than we think. Imagine this situation that a Gold support form a group with his master DPS friend and then they queue together. How is the matchmaker gonna proceed? Which level of match are they getting into? These are some questions that only the devs will have the answers until they release it.

Edit:

oh yeah, I forgot about that.
Man this separate SR will complicate things a bit. I guess it’ll be more flexible for separate role MMR if they are gonna do that as well…

All you have to do is be a good enough team mate to have a Tank want to duo with you regularly.

Switch when needed, not be toxic, exc…

Then your duo will get tank queue times since the game will either be down tanks, or get you in with them.

Still wouldn’t recommend 3 or more stacking though.

Sym could deal with phara though at least 2.0 could

Just because you are unfamiliar with the matchup doesn’t make it throwing you just happen to be ignorant of how it works

Ive played sym into pharah on hanamura with good success a few times. Its situational and dependant on overall team comp

Yeah I don’t think that will be the case as queue times increase. How much harder will it be for two or three stacks to find games. And once it becomes much harder for people to play with friends people will just quit the game.

Besides 2-2-2 just introducing a lot more problems for the devs without fixing the old ones. I doubt the devs could even handle all the rebalancing they would have to do. They aren’t the brightest bunch when it comes to reworking heros

you wrong, recently more players are playing the game, just look at the queue, you have to wait less than 10-15 sec to find a match, even with a group of six, it’s amazing!

The game already has few players in other regions. Further decreasing it will just kill the game in my region.

They might have made it more lax or the queue starts the moment you start the game so it knows where to put you whatever mode you queue in. It might explain why you keep getting games where some players are missing. The game ain’t getting new players.

They can’t join the same group even now. There are SR disparity limits on grouping.

1 Like

I said ‘basically’ [accidentally] throwing, as in not quite. Sym/Junk/etc can’t do much of anything against Pharah. That’s a flat fact and a serious design problem. Hard counters are a real thing, after all. Kinda how things have been for 3 years.

And Sym 2.0 could just survive better. That’s not “dealing with” Pharah at all.

Well sym 2.0 made her team survive better. Shield gen made it so phara needed 3 direct shots to kill this was massive as she only had 5 shots.

She couldn’t even go after sym as sym had her photon barrier.

I actually think sym 2.0 had a good matchup vs phara despite not being able to deal damage to her she just sort of denied phara of all her value

I haven’t played this game much since they reworked sym. But I do believe sym didn’t have any hardcounters before she actually didn’t have many bad matchups

I will probably quit because when 2-2-2 hits live I can no longer flex and will change into a Hanzo OTP with Pharah/76 on the bench since that’ll simply be the best way to ensure the most consistent and best winrate

1 Like

But what about Arcade? And what if they give you the possibility to swap roles with a friend?

Some will quit. Others will come back. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

1 Like

My opinion exactly. Can’t talk for majority, but I know myself will start enjoying competitive play again, and I know at least a good majority of my friends who quit Overwatch will come back aswell.

I’m guessing that for every player that quits, there will be at least even number of old players that will come back.

1 Like

What about Arcade? MMR doesn’t function properly in Arcade and varies artificially drastically depending on the patch. For example back in the day when I played almost only MH I faced same players a lot and grew to respect them because we were almost always carrying the games (shoutout to Beero for being the best MH player I’ve seen who always makes me monkaS) but sometimes instead of getting these master+ players I ended up going like +30-2 against platinum players

If they give me a possibility to swap roles with a friend I think that’s good, but I’d still have to find DPS and healer from LFG to play with since none of my IRL friends play the game or are way below me and I require both roles for my specific flex. I play as much off-tank as possible, usually end up playing as a main tank (Orisa now), but can also play Brigitte, Mercy or Moira in high tier and I used to be a Pharah main so that’s a really strong niche for me on maps like Lijang and I have as much experience on Hanzo as I do on D.va so I can perform consistently with him too

In short: I’m an ex-Pharah player who mainly plays tanks and knows how to get maximum value out of low skill ceiling healers. My system for flexing (which is really good btw) will be completely destroyed by role queue, so I’ll probably quit the game

I think there could be an unlocked queue (for preferences reasons) with 2-2-2 role limit that would set a match for you in your highest role SR where people could swap roles with a 2-2-2 role limit. I could see that working I guess.

I mean I get why some people will knee-jerk quit out of protest. Imagine if chess had allowed people to build whatever chess piece composition they wanted since it was originally made and then suddenly they decided that players had to play the same composition against each other.

People who had grown used to playing as or against compositions that were extra heavy on Rooks and Bishops, or even the trollishly ineffective All Pawns, would be mad even if it made for a better game overall. They just learned to play a different way and had come to prefer it.

Once the dust settles I think people will largely be happy with it, though, same as when they did away with hero stacking.

2 Likes

Players will come back if they implement 2-2-2. Count me on that.

3 Likes

1- First try and prove it it’s a majority that want 2-2-2.

2- You can’t call it “adapting” when a system has been there since day one.

Thanks. Bye.

3 Likes