No Mic Then No Comp

After the years of consistently using my mic in competitive matches, I must say I’ve never had better, more enjoyable games without being in team chat.

5 Likes

It is not.

If it were, there wouldn’t even be a team chat in game.

Intentionally not joining team chat can be discerned as willfully sabotaging your team’s chances of winning the game, because it is a team game after all and communication is a key component of teamwork. Ergo it’s gameplay sabotage and is reportable.

Nope. Just Your (incorrect) opinion. Not reportable, breaks no rule, too bad.

This community defines literally anything that it doesn’t like as throwing. Grow up

3 Likes

It’s not incorrect at all.

You are intentionally sabotaging your team’s efforts to win the match by refusing to join team chat and communicate with them.

That’s gameplay sabotage.

Yes, you should.

1 Like

I never use a mic bc ppl are toxic.

4 Likes

There is nothing from blizzard to support this concept, sorry. Just your (again) incorrect, immature opinion.

5 Likes

Nah man you gotta stop acting like a child.

Just because you think its gameplay sabotage doesn’t mean its actual gameplay sabotage as per Blizzards TOS.

Comms are worthless when most of the time people have no idea what they’re talking about or are just using it to be toxic. I’ve gotten much better results hiding chat and muting everyone.

Just take the L on this and stop making a fool of yourself.

5 Likes

I know this topic is highly debated but I tend to agree that mic’s should be a necessity. There are people who are deaf and mute so those are the rare exceptions but there’s really absolutely NO reason not to communicate verbally.

It’s there why not use it and take advantage of something that would help out tremendously.

Okay I get it, people are toxic extremely toxic but what are the chances that everyone on the team are going to be toxic…just mute those 1 or 2 individuals. Have the rest of the team report them if they go out of line. I know a lot of girls don’t go into comms because of that but again there’s a mute and a report feature.

Don’t let people force you into silencing yourself when you communicating could be the reason for a win

Actually there are a lot of reasons.

Because it doesn’t actually help a lot of the time, this is just a narrative

Too much effort considering how often it was necessary, not to mention i had to listen to whatever made me mute them. I know my tilt limitations, and not giving people an inroad is ideal.

Below diamond this is almost never an issue.

2 Likes

if they force it a lot of players just won’t play, such as myself.
Also if you’re in silver and think comms is gonna make you so much better, you might want to rethink that and figure out why you’re in silver first. It’s not because of lack of comms

1 Like

Yes, because I wana hear that 12 year old chomping down on chips and the clicking of the keyboard. No thanks.

4 Likes

This is a new topic that hasn’t been beaten to death.

I’d rather let people choose if they want to join or not. Some people work better without the added noise “comms provide.” Not everyone is shot caller worthy and other times it’s just down right distracting.

Some of my calls ended up distracting my teammates, when I say there is a Reaper on top of point or behind, its just to make sure he doesn’t catch us by surprise and not necessarily please deal with him right now. My Winston out of all people tried to engage Reaper which was quite odd and probably not the call unless he can win the 1v1.

Not everyone is bad at shotcalling but not everyone is good at it either. And running into toxic people is always a risk that some are unwilling to take. I respect their decision to avoid VC if they had a bad run in with those types of people.

Also, may I remind you that there are servers in EU and Asia which have a multitude of languages. I get that this is the US forums but Overwatch is international so if we applied no mics to those regions it would not work. The language difference might make it difficult to make teamplays thru communication but they still get by thru mechanical skill. It’s not impossible to play without comms.

Lastly, I’m fine with people who don’t use mics but it’s nice when they are able to listen :heart:

I turn on my mic and mute everybody else.

2 Likes

You strike me as the type that has like four hour long phone conversations everyday

2 Likes

Buy a game for 20 bucks, then find out you cannot pay a gamemode because you need to buy an extra accessory.

Let anyone play however they want man, if you want communication so bad get into a group.

3 Likes

You do not need to buy a headset to use voice chat. You can still join and hear callouts/team strategies without one.

Also there’s no need to buy an extra accessory on consoles as they come with a headset.

Realisitically, if OW required mandatory VC for comp I would have never bought the game.

I know a lot of other people that feel the same way too.

If you guys want to force people to use a mic, then make your own game with it’s own rules. You can sell it directly to the toxic team captains here on OW who think they are the self-designated group leaders. They can all then yell at each other about what character to choose and call each other trash. I won’t be playing that game.

So I should have to buy a mic just to play the game?

Otherwise, send a registered “hi”.mp3 to your team from your virtual mic, and stop. Hoping they won’t ask further questions.
It’s not like they’ll be all six in VC after queueing.