No Black Woman Hero?

No Americans count Egyptians as black, because they’re not.

1 Like

Agreed. I also know several Egyptian-Americans and none of them identify as ‘black’, ie of sub-Saharan origin.

1 Like

Many Americans do count Egyptians as black, actually.

1 Like

Junker Town Queen will be first “black” female hero, I don;t know why we are still having this discussion. Come on guys time to move on.

I’m dumb and dont know what that means. Explain it and I will tell you if I am or not

Have you actually been to Egypt? You’ll find most people are mostly of Middle-Eastrern descent, specifically Berber. I don’t believe most people in the world, them included, would refer to the general population as being black.

Speak for yourself. Im also American with an American perspective and i would count egypt as Arabic, not Black. Just because to have black ancestors doesnt make you black. Going by that logic, pretty much every human on earth could be considered black since we all share a common african ancestor.

Also speaking from an American perspective… this isn’t really the case. Most people here would look at an Egyptian person and say “Middle Eastern,” “Muslim,” or “brown.”

3 Likes

Shoot I’m in the U.S. too and I’ve never heard of Egypt being referred to as primarily black.

6 Likes

It means that you’re lumping all of Africa as “black”, ie a single homogeneous entity, and likely so as to disparage Africa and people of African descent.

Well, I mean they shouldn’t, since that’s incorrect. If you take ten seconds to look at people from Egypt it’s pretty easy to figure out.

And this is my third time saying all of Africa is not black. Elon musk is not black as well as most of south Africa or rather a lot of it

Thanks man, super cordial of you. It’s easy to forget how nuanced other parts of the world are in regards to their regional cultures. It’s great to have a game like Overwatch even attempting to incorporate as many groups as they are. Really nice stuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Where have you been? Literally a whole racist meme called “We wuz kangz, we built pyramids and sh**” revolving around how black people are from Egypt.

She does not look like black anywhere. Would not like them to change her. I have been looking forward Junker Queen not black Junker Queen. What a shame that would be…

Why is that? Like I said cuz they are not sterotypically black?

1 Like

That’s not because Egyptians were black lol, that’s because some rapper tried to claim that Ancient Egyptians were black (and was later debunked)

2 Likes

For the record, the majority of South Africans are actually of sub-Saharan origin. Hence the rub with land ownership. But arabs do not identify as black, and are not recognized as such.

Debunked? Right. They were and are black. Not changing my mind on this sorry

Even more interesting! I’ve only lived on the West Coast / North East / and Rocky Mountain areas, and the general attitude was that african descent == “black” (which I think is a fair time to admit that when we’re talking about one african nation vs another, is a pretty woefully broad term, ill equipped to handle this distinction).

What part of the country do you come from that doesn’t consider African descent as black? Is it somewhere rural? I’ve only lived in larger ubran or suburban areas. :slight_smile: