No Big updates! 13 GB!

It IS true for everyone. People just don’t know what they’re talking about. That being said my post concerned PC version, I don’t know the specificities of PS4/XB1 updates.

1 Like

you think that’s bad it’s 18.8 gigs on console, even with my 30MB/s download speed it hasn’t finished yet, and i’ve been updating for over an hour.

didn’t they do this like for the summer games event a bit ago? wish they wouldn’t do this during such a great event.

1 Like

Except it’s obviously not true in all cases. Of the 3 friends I have who have downloaded it already (on PC), only 1 was spared the last half of it.

The funny thing is he spent more time letting the launcher chug away at whatever it was doing than the others spent downloading.

It IS true, people just don’t notice it. The Download is faster than it would be with 14 gb. WAYYY faster. It’s not like it just magically downloads the last half instantly. It just speeds up…

1 Like

Hey everyone, I want to apologize for not having a background download for the 1.22 Retribution patch. It’s understandably frustrating to be ready to play only to be faced with a time consuming update.

In general we want to make background download available for our releases, unfortunately we weren’t able to do that for this release due to changes in how we package our game assets.

We’re working with our distribution team to make sure we can offer the background download the next time we have a large patch. Sorry again that we weren’t able to make it happen for today.

Cheers

61 Likes

In short, the dev team probably busted their behinds to get this major patch, which is an optimization patch that has to reformat how OW sits in your hard drive, up live in time.

If they didnt do patches like this OW would basically grow and grow in size with each patch until it ate your HDD

3 Likes

13GB?

On the PS4 the update size is 22GB, that is like redownloading the entire game. Fortunately my connection is pretty fast, but still…

It’s kind of hard to take pity on you. It’s 2018. I can’t imagine a place that doesn’t offer substantial internet for gaming anywhere in a non-3rd world country. Eh, why hold back progress for the lowest common denominator that probably makes up less than 10% of your player base.

Worst case scenario: It takes you longer to download and you play tomorrow.

3 Likes

thx for the honest apology :+1:

That’s not how it works. OW + every update is still less than half the size of most major games, we don’t need huge downloads like this out of the blue.

The thing is, it appears that the PTR download contained the majority of what was in the latest patch.

They could have told players they had a big update coming and downloading the PTR and copying it over would have significantly cut the launch day download.

Logistically, as someone with a slow internet connection a massive difference exists between downloading two GB and downloading 8-14 GB especially when you have other users on the network.

Only 13 gig for you?

It’s 18.82 gig for me on Xbox One…

1 Like

Now if only they could start openly discussing some of the feedback in the Mercy megathread :slight_smile:. There’s no denying they did a decent job with the recent new mission however.

first post and its about this … Its frustrating to get home now i have to DL the game on 2mb connection yay me. I read the dev posts and i do not care your sorry does not get me in game. GG

Come on man. The game isn’t going anywhere. Get a better internet connection if you’re going to throw a temper tantrum about having to wait.

1 Like

The thing is, I have other games with comparable patch sizes that download in an 8th of the time. The only problem child seems to be Blizzard games. Diablo 3 had the same issues.

1 Like

No, you don’t. Look at your download speed when you do it (through task manager).

I’ve been monitoring my bandwidth usage since the download started (comes with sharing a 7Mb line). It’s been maxed the entire time and I’ve downloaded 11/14gb so far with no signs of it stopping.

Some people have only had to download a portion of the update but it’s pretty clear that not everyone was that lucky.

I’ve got worst download speed then 8MB and it didn’t take to long