New Xbox Optimization patch confusing

Here’s from the official patch notes:

• “Resolution” : This mode prefers higher-resolution output at the cost of some image-quality (Series X: 4K @ 60Hz, Series S: 1440p @ 60Hz)
  • “Balanced” : This mode prefers image-quality at the cost of resolution (Series X: 1440p @ 60Hz, Series S: 1080p @ 60Hz)

I thought resolution and image quality were the same thing. Can somebody please tell me what I’m trading out for each mode?

1 Like

Image quality is just fps here. This is common now. You can pick from 30 fps and 4k or 60 and 1080/1440

So 60Hz and 60 fps aren’t the same thing? I feel like they left out some numbers.

Frame rate and refresh rate are related but not the same thing. A 60 Hz monitor can go over 60 fps, with diminished returns. It can start the next frame before the last one is finished, which is a good thing

There is more to it than that, I can’t explain it all here from my phone

Okay, but am I wrong that Blizzard should have included the fps discrepancies for each mode as well? There’s a 3rd option for 120hz but my TV can’t do that so I’m just wondering what the fps differences are.

no you ding dongs… image quality is the graphical settings not the resolution.

balanced favors 1440p probally maxed out setting on Series X while resolution is 4k but at medium-low settings…

Settings such as
textures, fog detail, reflections, shadow, model details, particle effects, antialiasing ambient occlusion, and the lighting

3 Likes

Image quality is referring to the graphical fidelity. you’re basically choosing between like 4K at low settings vs 1440p at high settings.

3 Likes

Thank you! That absolutely explains it. Gracias

2 Likes

That makes sense then. I’ll say it seems weird to trade graphics settings for resolution on console though. 4k on low settings is meh

1 Like

Just throwing an opinion out there- I’d go 1440, 60 fps and high settings over 4k, 30 fps and lower settings

Rendering at a resolution that’s not the display’s native resolution often introduces bluriness due to stretching+interpolation which bothers a lot of people. I suspect the goal here is that people with 4K TV’s can choose a clean/sharp image, but pay for it by losing some image quality.

2 Likes

OP posted , and the Developer comments state 4k 60 fps … OW for the next gen (xbox) never targets 30 fps. you still get the smooth 60 fps, just without the fancy eye candy at 4k

2 Likes

Guess I would have to try them both. I have seen many xbox games that try for 60 but don’t hit it

1 Like

TBH I’m really surprised they dont offer a framerate option. 1080p 120hz, or even 1440p 120hz seems like it would be more than doable on a series X with lower settings.

Or maybe they did - I dont play on xbox so I’m kind of presuming OP’s post is detailing the only two options they offered.

umm yes thats an option 1080p 120hz is for series S … let me quote the dev real quick brb 2 mins

cant quote it but this is it

“Framerate” : This mode prefers higher frame-rate at 120 frames-per-second at the cost of both image-quality and resolution (Series X: 1440p @ 120Hz, Series S: 1080p @ 120Hz

1 Like

This patch is awesome. The game is so smooth on series X now. OMG! It feels like cheating!

Thanks Blizzard!

1 Like

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying!

If you choose faster performance modes that emphasize resolution or framerate, settings will adjust by lowering the quality of lighting, textures, and shadows. The PC platform allows you to adjust all features in very detailed settings, however with consoles, the settings are relatively structured to well-controlled presets.

To get a better idea of what is changed, you can review my PC performance guide which breakdown details to the different possible things the game changes to accommodate to the performance presets.

1 Like