New Workshop Features in 1.48 PTR

We’ve got some new Workshop features in the 1.48 PTR that we’re excited to share with you, including the ability to re-upload your Custom Game settings to one of your existing share codes, the ability to store strings into variables, new C-style syntax for summaries and copied text, and many others. For a full list, check out our patch notes.

For this PTR, we want to make sure that existing modes can be safely pasted from the old syntax, copied using the new syntax, and then pasted using the new syntax, all without errors. To that end, we encourage anyone trying out the new features on PTR to do just that: paste in one of your existing modes from text that you have saved off somewhere, copy the mode back to text, then paste it back in again. If you run into any errors while doing so, please respond to this thread!

And of course, please check out the rest of the new features as well, and let us know if you run into any trouble. Thanks for helping us test, and happy scripting!

19 Likes

Omg you finally did it. This is legendary. Thank you so much :heart:

Edit:

I have just read this in the patchnotes. Wow this is an even better addition. Finally we can create texts in loops too.

3 Likes

Can you explain why creating texts in a loop is significant?

I just don’t really understand

Is there any possibility of getting a preset “pathing to point” for Ai bots? Just so they have the same movement comprehension the current AI bots we can place have.

Ideally, having every hero as an option for an AI hero would be great, but I understand that’s so much work and hardly a priority for you guys, but just a pathing preset so we can at least have units move to the point constantly without worrying about them falling off of maps or getting stuck?

1 Like

Because one doesn’t want to create 50+ inworld-texts by hardcoding them. And in this forum there used to be quite a lot of posts in wich the author tried to create texts in a loop and failed. I always had to respond with “no sorry, thats not possible”. But now it is.

You can use my tool for it:

I’m gonna update it soon aswell.

3 Likes
actions
{
    Global.A = Hero(Echo);
}

Great!! I love C-style, really cool.

Tried to copy from production to ptr my game mod but it does not like an export code, also it does not like to paste my copied code because production language is English and ptr is Russian. After changing to English on ptr it allowed to paste my copied code. Just fyi.

Anyway, thanks.

That is really wow, now we can work with maps and dummy bots much easier way. Visual debugging in OW always was a problem but now it opens a way to create a lot of custom tools!

Will it work by a script (not only by pressing a button)?
	Communicate(Event Player, On My Way);

By the way, I still see how OW executes disabled rules (workshop inspector).

More info about me and my game mods you can find here.

Thanks for continuing to improving the workshop! It is much, much appreciated.

1 Like

does Event Ability only work for abilities that trigger events? like damage, healing, and now knockback?

Hey Dan, been using workshop since it was first introduced and I was wondering if you could maybe add a couple of quality-of-life changes for the workshop?

• Folders in workshop

Some games have so many rules that folders would go a very long way to help with organization and readability.

• Actions bar remains on screen

When you’re trying to move rules, you always have the UP/DOWN buttons displayed, but when you’re trying to move actions, you now have to count how many actions you want to move before you scroll back up and click the button, it’s a huuuuge pain in the butt.

• Copy-Paste actions or rules into specific locations

This would also help when you’re trying to organize new rules into certain locations, instead of tapping UP/DOWN and lagging the game out, it would help if we could just pick a location and drop it in there immediately.

• Map rotation instead of random map shuffle for game settings

We are constantly getting the same 2-3 maps back to back, with frustrating frequency, this would help a lot of workshop developers.

• Echo in workshop is currently being recognized as the character she copied after her ultimate ends.

She copies a character, uses all their rules and when the ultimate ends, she’s still using all their rules, pretty straight forward. Normally I wouldn’t suggest hero bugs, but the only work-around is a ton of script changes that add to the element count. Fixing this would help us a lot, pretty please.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you for the workshop.

1 Like

Is it possible in the coming future where we can toggle/choose or activate old abilities like hanzo’s scatter, symm photon barrier/shield or mercy’s mass rez in workshop?
What i mean by those abilities is that it recreates them 100% accurate down to the animations, kinda like having a classic hero mode option.

These would be a fun addition to workshop and custom games in general.

You’d think so.
Event implies a connection to the event, and ability implies, well, ability.
We already have is using ability (number), detecting ability casts.
So having abilities that don’t trigger events trigger the condition wouldn’t make sense.

I just wish I could see for myself, because I’m on console.

1 Like

Really hope to see described fixes and new features soon on live… Bored to deal with weird tasks to make something working.

Feel free to comment my ideas.

The communication wheel changes were listed in the leaked live patch notes for next Tuesday (May 19th). Since those changes came to PTR in the same update that also brought the workshop changes, here’s hoping the workshop changes will come to live servers next Tuesday ><

Edit: Not sure if this is common knowledge already, but uploading to existing share codes on PTR appears to have a cooldown of 1 minute, but no hourly limit (while creating new share codes has an hourly limit of 10 codes but no cooldown).

2 Likes

Congratulations with the update on live :smiley:

Feel free to comment my ideas.