New Sombra changes

Tbh I mostly care about knowing what they’re planning to do with her. 2 days later doesn’t really matter

OPPORTUNIST
Sombra gains a short movement speed buff towards affected enemies close to her.
MACHINE PISTOL
Spread barely decreased.
HACK
Hack cast time is now 0.75s
Hacked enemies now display a big sombra icon over their head.
Any hacked enemy is now affected by Opportunist for the duration, the visibility is teamwide, as in teammates can see hacked enemies through walls, regardless of their health.
Enemies affected by hack take an extra 10% damage from sombra and sombra alone.
Duration decreased by 1 second.
Cooldown increased by 2 seconds.
STEALTH
Duration increased to 7 seconds.
Now has a damage threshold before deactivation of 40
First enemy hit while in stealth takes a burst of 20 damage, this applies only on the first bullet/melee and breaks stealth, this gives you a choice between burst damage or slow over time damage on hack.
TRANSLOCATOR
Duration decreased by 2 seconds.
Cooldown increased by 10 seconds.

Those would basically be my dream changes, though no way they would do something that big, they will probably just give big buffs to her damage and nerfing hack a tad bit and call it a day.
Also hack doesn’t cancels lucio current song, that’s still completely insane.

Made a topic about how I’d balance Sombra a while ago. Cloak and hack got the most attention but I think I gave some good ideas.
If you want to check it out look about 5 topics back in my profile.

1 Like

Oo forgot this one and it’s something I’ve been calling for since last year lol

I think it would be one of the biggest positive changes she could get, no hero should rely that much on teammates when there’s muting, communication issues, interference, etc while it heavily punishes people solely for not using a microphone.
Specially not one classified as damage.

Here is my take on it.

1. Fixing her bugs !

2. Hack: Introduce a hack progression bar from 1%-100%.
    Incoming dmg converts 1:1 into % lost. If your hack progress falls to 0 it is broken. Hack broken through dmg goes on full cooldown.
    Hacked enemies get a timer skull above their heads like health packs.

3. Stealth: Delay going into stealth removed. Translocator now becomes invisible while in stealth.

4. Base movement speed increased to Genji/Tracer lvl.

1 Like
  • Translocator travel speed increased by 40% and Up time reduced to 2 seconds down from 20, cooldown increased to 5 seconds.

Developer comments: With this change sombra translocator will be used more as a mobility option than a get away free card making her more available on the team fight

• Hack can now only be interrupted by the person getting hacked. Hack cooldown time increased to 10 seconds.

Developer comments: Sombra’s main purpose is disabling enemy’s and she shouldn’t be penalized for stray fire. This will make hack more reliable and increasing the cooldown will get it in line with other cc abilities in game.

• EMP now converts amour to health

• Sombra base speed increased to 6 m per sec from 5.

Developer comments: Sombra is a flanker, now that her translocator can only be used as a mobility option and she does not have a get away free ability, she needs some survivability like other mobility heroes like Tracer and Genji.

1 Like

Copy paste from another thread.

Here is my detailed dream list of changes along with the reasoning.

Below is the super summarized version with minute changes to the post:-

Gun

• Increase fire rate to between 25 to 30 bullets per second and increasing the spread angle from 2.7 (current) to between 2.8 to 3.0 (original) to balance it out.

Thermoptic Camo

• Takes up to 30% extra damage while invisible but no longer breaks Sombra out of the ability, she will shimmer like when she bumps into someone.
  • Cast time going into stealth removed. Sombra begins fading and sprinting immediately after button being pressed like her highlight intro. Sombra spends a lot of time waiting around, saving a half second here and there really helps.

Translocator

• Holding Hack and Primary fire cancels translocator and adds 4-6 seconds to the total cooldown to reduce punishment for a botched translocator from 24 seconds to 8-10 seconds which is in line with the cooldown of majority of other mobility skills in the game.
  • Faster translocator throw speed to reduce the time Sombra spends waiting. Every little second saved reduces her time spent absent from a fight.

Hack

It will probably be more clear if you read my link as I am struggling to keep this short without omitting too many details.
  • Remove 2 second cooldown from damage interrupt and damage interrupting Hack altogether.
  • Replace current Hack mechanic to a Zarya beam mechanic (as long as crosshair lands on any part of target, Hack will not be interrupted. Solves LoS issues and make Hack more aim intensive thus increasing skill required to use it.
  • Like a Zarya beam, Hack deals "damage" to target's "Hack health" and once it reaches zero, target gets hacked. The "Hack Health" begins to regenerate (with a delay in between if necessary) as soon as LoS is broken.
  • Hack is now limited by a resource meter that completely drains in 2 seconds (starts draining as soon as activated like Defense Matrix) and takes 8 seconds to fully recharge. This is to make Hack no longer spammable.
  • Numbers are all placeholders. Can go up or down according to balance or how hard it is to land a Hack
  • 1 Like

Funny, a lot of these utterly kill sombra as I know her in my opinion like translocator or camo 30% extra damage.
    Others are a big step back like the spread increase.

That’s the problem with doing “significant” changes to a hero that has been out for over a year and half, people get used to and form hero concepts and what the hero “must” be in their heads, a big explanation on why people are partially scared of these changes.

Why just completely nerf Translocator, while buffing all the rest of her kit?

:sweat_smile: Well a lot of them like the Hack changes are to address complaints such as “Hack takes no skill to use” or “Hack is uncounterable”. If done like the way I envisioned it, any complaints against hack will be like complaining that Soldier is allowed to shoot them.

I’m curious, what’s not to like about canceling a translocator?

30% extra damage while in stealth makes it so it’s still a risk while stealthing under fire. I don’t think 1 damage interrupting a skill is a mechanic that should exist in an fps for any hero.

If the spread isn’t increased for a higher fire rate, it would become quite OP. 30 bullets a second with a spread angle of 3 gives quite a consistent bullet spread. You can try it out yourself using Bastion in custom game.

It’d probably be more clear if you read the topic I made. I couldn’t include all my reasoning without making the whole thing too long. :sweat_smile:

I’ve been thinking about this fo a while now.

What if Sombra’s Hack goes on a reduced cooldown when hacking health packs? It’ll give players a little bit more incentive to hack them since the ultimate charge removal.

I was thinking two possibilities:

• Hack goes on cool down for 4, 5, or 6 seconds when hacking a health pack instead of the full 8 second cooldown.

OR

• Hack’s cooldown on healthpacks depends on the number of health packs currently hacked by the player. For example, no health packs hacked puts it on a 5 second cooldown. The next one puts it on a 6 second cooldown, capped at 8.

I feel like this would help a little with the decision of what to hack, health packs or enemies. Thoughts?

1 Like

Yeah I remember I had also two more ideas about her hack but I’m just not sure they might be too strong:

• hacking healthpacks cannot be interrupted by damage
    • her hack only breaks by damage if the damage source is in hack range which is 15m radius so dva tickle won’t break her hack

but…

you main sombra…

so why do you want to butcher her…

almost quadrupling translocator’s cooldown?
    reducing hack’s duration but increasing the cooldown?
    increasing the hack speed?

and all you gave her was weird speed boosts, a stealth damage cap, and the cool +10 dmg on hacked targets.

MUST HAVE:

• BUG FIXES! Pronto!
    • Either fix her LOS problem or remove it all together.
    • Remove the 2 seconds damage CD on Hack or; reduce Hack’s CD from 8 to 6 seconds.
    • Increase clip size on her primary weapon from 60 to 80.
    • Stealth no longer breaks from damage, but reveals Sombra for a very short moment and possible slows her down a little.
    • Enter and leaving Stealth much faster.

POSSIBLE HAVE:

• EMP while stealthed.
    • Hacked enemies shows a bar on your interface and it’s duration. Very similar to Zenyatta’s Discord Orb.
    • Increase ult charge when hacked enemies are taking damage.

ABILITY IDEA? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Overclock
    Target friendly players with a blue hacking animation and increase their fire rate and movement speed that lasts for 6 seconds. Kinda like a nano boost, but weaker. To make room for this, maybe add Stealth as a passive?

1 Like

Because hack gains a lot of power in specialized areas, it makes hack more valuable not only to you, but to teammates, while also addressing long standing problems like a hacked target not being explicitly shown as hacked.

Over this year and half sombra has received lots of buffs in hack and mobility because they wanted to make hack her main shtick while forgoing her damage, it didn’t really do anything as it didn’t really address her main issues.
    One of the biggest problems with sombra design is her balancing, like Jeff said, she could potentially be the strongest hero in the game bar none if you go just a tad overboard.
    This puts her closer to her release numbers, she can’t gain all these quality of life changes, bug fixes (I’m assuming a majority of these will be fixed, regardless of any other buff as it’s more of a necessity than a choice), major buffs without a trade off, she gained way too much mobility without much to do with it, once you give her options and more damage then it can be a serious issue as she now has a pretty much always up translocator with an ability to silence and to dish out good damage.

It’s all meant to work together in unison, as a big machine, on reading you can see opportunist applies to hacked targets, with this extra speed boost it helps her with her movement speed in a controlled way and it means that whenever you hack a target you will have extra movement speed as that target is now affected by opportunist, same deal with emp.
    Each of these targets now show themselves to the enemy, adding a new dimension to hack beyond just silencing that x problematic hero, it also makes hack a potent tool that must be used correctly as the 2 second cooldown and what not still exists.

These changes would change sombra from basically being an annoyance that just tries to farm emp into a stand alone character that can provide extremely useful utility to the team without relying on them while you recite everything you’re doing or watching, the buffs/qol changes like the sombra icon on hacked targets or opportunist vision applied to the team
    instantly gives them info on what you’re doing and as such, they can take advantage of this.

These changes would keep sombra utility/damage combination as her main gameplay while also boosting areas that are lacking and are usually not that useful, slightly buffs her spread so she delivers more reliable damage and hack is now a powerhouse tool that greatly benefits you and the team with extra info and power with the trade off being that hack is a tad shorter and you won’t be able to simply keep the rein hacked 24/7 due to translocator insanely short cooldown.
    Either way, those numbers would be wips of course and would require testing as some might be too much in the nerfing department, but I’m afraid that no matter how much I love a hero the game balance should always be first and in no way I would compromise it or it affects everyone, specially the people that use that hero as we saw with hack 2.0.

Just out of curiosity, what platform did you type this on? Mobile? IOS/Android?

Or was it on a computer?

I’m genuinely curious as to why you put a space before and after your ’ key

I hope the change will be something completly new that hasn’t been talked about on the forums yet if it’s not some number tweaks.

My changes are as follows:

Hack:

• Have hack have a 25hp damage threshold before being canceled

Hack should keep its 2s cool down on taking damage as a trade off for its fast speed and to encourage careful use, however there are times when hack is cancelled seemingly out of nowhere. A 25hp threshold is enough that an enemy who can see Sombra at close range can cancel it with good aim. Also, needless to say, fix the hack bugs.

Stealth:

• Sombra can take 25 points of damage before being fully decloaked. Any hits less than 25 reveals her similar to when she bumps into someone
    • Decrease time it takes to cloak and decloak to 0.5s, down from 0.7s

Sombra’s stealth feels slightly clunky at the moment, as a stray hit can cancel it very similar to hack. However, unlike hack, Sombra’s stealth is put on full cooldown which limits her ability to engage. These changes should make her flow a little better

Translocator

• Hold down interact key for 2 seconds to cancel current translocator

Sombra’s translocator can oftentimes be a hinderance if incorrectly placed, either putting her into a dangerous situation or taking her too far from the team fight depending on where she placed it. This should hopefully alleviate that. The reason the cancel is bound to interact like Symmetra’s teleporter are for the occasions where you try to buffer the translocation out (after being hooked by roadhog or frozen by Mei for example).

1 Like

Not gonna lie I made this post to see how close the community and blizzard are. And how much they care about people’s ideas and concerns. Like how people are frustrated with storm arrow and Jeff wants to nerf his ult for no reason!