New proximity audio changes

Ah, I just saw that now. Thanks for the heads up! Looking forward to not having Reinhardt’s voice lines blasting my eardrums

Yet more evidence they don’t play test anything - no way they could have missed the audio issues where voicelines appear to be in your head no matter how far the other player is away.

It’s actually on purpose due to some other issue they found (or bug they created). Read the patch notes.

I don’t think the way it is done - with tinny voices directly in your head - is what they intended.

Yeah I think it could be implemented well, it just wasn’t tested basically at all because it always seems very off-balance wrt. how loud it should be

“Due to a bug, we temporarily need to change the audio reverb settings used throughout the game to an alternate method.”

They knew, but it was the best they could do.

Due to a bug with some of our audio plug-ins, we are experiencing and issue with the “Team Radio” feature. Distant voicelines from your team members might sound more present than usual.

Yes, it’s hot garbage. I heard the same. It was worse than confusing. It just sounds broken. Like the audio bugs all round the game if you’re paying attention or can search youtube.

One of these things alone doesn’t speak much, but everything altogether tells you that the current devs at Blizzard have absolutely no clue at all. None.

Probably suits making the decisions now seeing that they’re all so commercial.

It’s a total farce.

2 Likes

glizzard is definitely not short on $ rn, so the rumor that t4 is low on resources screams “bobby kotick needs a new private jet”

Back to my original point then - lack of testing means a bug got through yet again.

Literally by definition a bug DIDNT make it through. They just didnt have time for a full fix (likely due to code refactoring so they couldn’t easily just revert the changes) so they had a fallback/workaround that just isn’t ideal.

Dude, software architect here, the bug made it past testing and got noticed after the deadline. So the bug made it through.

Wow dude! Also software architect here.

Much more likely: An issue got detected past the bug bar deadline and they had to issue a non-ideal workaround for the issue to prevent a much worse issues like a crash.

They are releasing some PvE stuff next season, it seems obvious to me that these audio changes (for voicelines and such anyways) were made because they want you to hear what the characters are saying when you get to that.
The new comms sound like one of those trailers that announced the PvE a while back. And now it’s finally being pushed through since that’s gonna be soon. Makes sense to me.

That’s what I said! It got through their testing which they would have done before the deadline. Then someone noticed it. Very strange if they don’t do their testing before the deadline, right? So their testing/playtesting missed it and is therefore inadequate. Not sure why you are arguing and then saying the same things as me? Very odd.

Right, and the bug they caught is not present in the build of the game. What you are experiencing is a workaround fix for the bug. It is not a bug itself, it is intentional.

It strikes me as super odd that you are a software architect and wrote these two sentences. How many years have you worked on software? Even like a junior developer fresh out of college is well aware that even with good testing and QA there can be elusive bugs, especially in the form of race conditions, that will be difficult if not impossible to catch at small scale.

Not really, if anything it means they did actually test something for once and they caught a very bad bug before it went live, and the quickest solution to avoid delaying the season 5 launch was this weird but not game breaking audio alternative.

1 Like

The proximity audio is hot garbage, sorry.

The sounds for your own hero are way too loud compared to everything else. Have to play the game on low volume, and then you miss out on sound cues.

Luckily this will not stay long, it is a bug in the sound engine and this was the only workaround for a while

Hopefully… it’s already been over a week and no update like this is atrocious. I’m going to become deaf before it gets patched due to the ear piercing audio.