New Mercy nerf actually needs more than you think

Disclaimer: THIS POST IS NOTE SAYING I THINK THE NERF IS GOOD OR BAD, I’M SIMPLY POINTING OUT SOME THINGS ABOUT THE NERF PEOPLE MAY NOT HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT.

So the new Mercy nerf decreases her healing per second by 17% or so, which is significant. It doesn’t necessarily address the core issues of why Mercy is the most picked main healer by far, but it is significant nonetheless. What people haven’t really seemed to realize is that it is going to make it take quite a bit longer to get her ultimate since her ultimate cost wasn’t reduced to compensate (not that she needs the compensation anyway, but yeah).

Also, it will take Mercy longer to top off individual targets, so the wait for somebody who needs healing might be a second or two longer, and they might die in that time because they had to wait. Mercy players will have to consciously decide who is at most risk of dying/who is most important to heal now more often than they did before.

Additionally, the chain healing during her ultimate will also not be as strong. This will make it less effective overall, and maybe even enforce damage boost as the dominant use of Valkyrie (though I’m not sure on that one). We’ll see on that one.

Anyway, we’ll see what happens with this. I’m hesitant to say that this nerf is what was needed, because I don’t necessarily think that is true. The core reasons that she is picked so much were mostly unaddressed, but I’m willing to see how it plays out, I guess.

5 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Feedback Thread Continued Part IV] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018