New Blood #3 online (Cassidy and Baptiste)

You can see it now with subscribing in Dark Horse Website. Maybe we will see it in PlayOverwatch today.
https://digital.darkhorse.com/books/64c1b8e2383a43e185c38c84fe9535e3/overwatch-new-blood-3

personal opinions (spoiler)

as for Ana, this volume is also very weak in evolution.

• I see it more as part of “let’s put the lore in order in the individual points”. chronologically, Baptiste was in Egypt for Mercy, but she was already gone. is a further confirmation that Mercy’s short story with Soldier and Ana already happened before New Blood. but here we know more or less that it hasn’t been too long since Baptiste’s short story.

• Baptiste … still sticks to what we know about him. I don’t mind seeing Cassidy constantly not trusting him, but his narration only adds some visual reference rather than some real additional detail. I would have liked to have seen a small reference to his “contacts” (sombra) or to specify hidden flaws in Talon’s armamentarium to use this knowledge of him to his advantage. but the feeling is that of a showroom of his skills, just like D.va in Shooting Stars.

• the biggest flaw of the saga continues: the fights against Talon agents are boring and do not show any real anxiety or particular action. are … very forgettable.

• I am greedy for details, and it did not escape me to notice Mirembe, an Overwatch agent that we have already seen in several points of the lore.

• the setting was less characteristic than I expected. but the ending that gives some info on the security protocols for the Omnic crisis in Russia looks interesting.

• could Baptiste’s casual outfit have a challenge skin? I don’t rule it out, the functional elements are all there. but I’m not entirely sure. she could also be very “hybrid” like Mercy doc Ziegler, in the kit.

to you the reading and the opinion. :hugs:

6 Likes

What if it’s Ana, since Cassidy refers his contact as someone who gave him a second chance.

I agree. There’s a Talon Enforcer who wore a different mask, holding a double barrel shotgun. I thought he would be one of the biggest obstacles.
Why would a Talon trooper still talk “That’s enough! Any last words?” instead of just kill Bap on spot? Plot armor at finest.

I find the confrontation between Cassidy and Baptiste, much more interesting. The Exo boots jump was unexpected.

It may look kinda dull compared to other casual skins like Aviator Pharah, Deadlock Ashe, etc. But it makes senses that he wore unfashionably as he wasn’t supposed to be seen when Talon was hunting him endlessly.

2 Likes

So no story with Baptiste helping Mercy it seems. Probably better that she found her own way, but it seems strange to tease it and then go “well actually, I couldn’t find her lol”.

Also, I agree that the talon fights are starting to stick out, though it wasn’t as forced as the last issue at least. It might be more interesting if there was a significant character, such as Mauga or some other new character, leading them that I could take an interest in other than the generic Storm Troopers (they even make a bad aim joke).

3 Likes

that’s right, perhaps the worst of the problems of this saga is the total lack of a real recurring “villain”. Defining mere soldiers as a threat was acceptable in 2015 when we didn’t know Overwatch, not in 2022 when we are hungry for narrative developments.

indeed, using Talon / Null Sector as antagonists is becoming very annoying. for example we still don’t see any characters who “officially” want to keep the Petras Act because they firmly believe in the allegations against the old Overwatch, and never as in this case would it have been perfect to set him against Cassidy and his mission to form a new team. or in any case, it made no sense at all not to exploit secondary characters in this case. for example Nguyen for Baptiste.

the case of pharah, a mention could have been the lore on terrorism around the Ia anubis and the mysterious omnic of storm rising, but I understand that the space they dedicated to mother and daughter was a priority (and in my opinion it went well). but not here. Baptiste had his “shooting star” here, which is a moment in which he only shows what he does in game to remind us that this comic is a full advertisement rather than a lore. (or at least, the feeling I got was that, seeing him use practically all of his skills).

I joked before that a mailman/courier is a hero/overwatch agent. Because is it just me that finds stupid the fact that the characters keep sending each other hand written letters, as if that is the safest form of communication? People don’t send letters now, imagine in a not so distant future? I heard that a lot of mail services around the world have already stopped delivering this type of mail.

I’ve pointed out this problem since the Recall animated short with the Talon agent slipping on a banana peel. I know it’s a supposed to be a joke but you want to establish your enemies as a threat so the audience take the story seriously.

I found it really stylish. I like the colors better than his original design, especially the scarf. Way better than Mercy’s doctor outfit that was basically a copy of all her “sexy” fanart.

Zarya seems to be also getting a new look with long hair and an undercut. Could it be a hint to her OW2 design?

Yeah, feels like a wasted opportunity.

Also, they forgot to mention in the last comic volume that a bunch of Helix soldiers were beaten/killed/captured by Talon. Maybe that would’ve been an important factor for not being a good time to ask Pharah to leave her post. Just a thought…

2 Likes

I actually loved this comic.

It didn’t really add new story elements, and Bap joining OW was kind of a given, which is a bit dissapointing. But man… it was just funny.

The action was fun, and Cassidy & Baptiste had great chemistry. They played off each other really well. This makes me want Cass & Bap to become a sort of duo as things progress.

bap on overwatch is not a shock to me but ZARYA AS OVERWATCH AGENT? I was terribly shocked if she actually accepts o__o’

we know that Zarya is confident in her ‘heroine’ which is Katya Volskaya, but shadow showed her things that Katya does and Zarya disapproves, being in the help of Russian people, Zarya might as well give Katya the finger and be the overwatch agent in Russia.