New Accounts Need to Unlock OLD Heroes Too!

Title.

Imagine having a new player in your comp game after winning a measly 50 games in quick play in a few years time and having them throw by not owning 2 thirds of the heroes available.

A player new enough to have not played 100 games barely has an idea of how to play 1-2 heroes, much less 2/3s of the roster.

2 Likes

To be fair, after 50 wins, they probably own most heroes with an average winrate. It really only hurts smurfs who want to stomp as Genji/Widow.

2 Likes

because all new accounts are new players. And again, player component vs game design component.
the mode that will suffer is quickplay, as it will become a literal crapshow

If those gets locked…

1 Like

you unlock the old heroes as you play if it take around a hundred game to get the old heroes and 50 to get to comp. Anyone will probably have enougth heroes to play once they want to try comp.

As for QP, well unless you are playing with friends you should mostly meet people begining like you are, so it will reduce the initial burden of knowledge and let you discover the heroes progressivly. Not that bad of an idea for once.

I don’t think the average new player tries everyone on the roster, but is still likely to be upset that characters they want to play are locked.

I dont think the challenges stack. So that you unlock the comp challenge after you completed the 100 games. Otherwise it would be stupid.

Except it says in the news post that it’s 50 QP games to unlock comp, and they EXPECT new players to end up in comp before completing track 2 of the FTUE, which is unlocking all heroes.

We will see how it really is. I hope they are separated because I understand that now all have Kiriko on day 1 but something like Sigma? Hello?

so people can enter comp without the full roster.
so much so for “it’s just one hero you get for free” (which was flawd already)

2 Likes

It’s an idiotic design choice, but they’ll justify it by saying, “BUT NO ONE EVER SWAPS HEROES, JUST TRUST US. WE DON’T WANT HARD COUNTERS, EVERY HERO AND EVERY COMP SHOULD BE VIABLE. THAT’S WHY IT’S FINE THEY ONLY GET 13 HEROES.”

Okay, well, don’t design your entire game around picks & counter picks, then. Because nothing I’ve seen in the patch notes nor played in either beta says, “Every hero is viable and you’ll never need to swap!” to me. And really, if I’m stuck with a player who is new, is getting hard countered, and can’t swap because they didn’t unlock the core roster and decided comp was a good choice to play regardless, I’m reporting them for gameplay sabotage. They know we’re going to flame new players in comp for being bad and not being able to counter pick. All of these changes to counter toxicity are only going to make it worse, and it’s blizzard’s own fault.

2 Likes

to be fair this is hardly gonna matter in comp, since comp requires 50 wins to enter, something that does indeed roughly takes 100 matches.
BUT
people can still theoretically enter comp before they have the full old roster and this makes quick play literal hell.
and even if the rumors that new accounts will only be matched against new accounts… well, that means bad and inconsistent queue times

QP is going to be a nightmare if they don’t segregate new accounts and old accounts.

The ONE benefit of requiring 50 wins is that it’s forcing smurfs to actually, y’know, win matches to establish a baseline MMR. In an ideal world, you need 25 wins in a category to unlock that role’s entire core roster, and then to get in to comp, you not only need all core heroes to be unlocked, but 50 additional wins past that. Now you have even more baseline data that forces people to actually try to win, and not just say “:duck: it, I’ll just do the bare minimum in 50 games to win, and then throw the remainder of my matches until I unlock my OTP and can go smurf in comp.”

Which is why it’s all the more important to find the ones that click the best, and you can’t do that without characaters to experiment with in the first place.

It isn’t about teaching new players, it’s about exposing all players to a rapid and constant stream of new content from the moment they first load the game.

It’s a reward system as much as anything else.

1 Like