Network Graph Question

I don’t know what your cooling solution is but Nicole is correct these temps arent normal for any laptops. most bios shut off at anywhere from 70 to 100c to keep the components from melting.

1 Like

i.imgur. com/lYd7txw.png

This is what my system is running at now while running the game after my hard drive wipe, still experiencing fps issues.

Daimyon,

Your temperatures are still too high and you’re probably reaching thermal throttling. However, Nvidia also released a driver which they mention targets some laptop performance issues. Can you update to the new driver and see if it helps? If not, you should take a gentle vacuum to your PC’s vents and see if you can suck out some dust and make things a little better. You’re not to the “Your PC is going to shut down” breakpoint, but you are hitting the point where your CPU will start freaking out and throttling itself in a laptop to stop your PC from melting. This in turn throttles your GPU, which in turn throttles your FPS.

1 Like

I cleaned it out, updated drivers, and got a cooling pad, still runs rather hot.

Any improvements to the FPS at all from doing all of those? Are the heat numbers still the same? If so, you may be looking at a breakdown of the CPU thermal paste, which might mean you need a technician to fix it. I would not recommend trying to do that maintenance on your own laptop as in addition to voiding any warranties you have, it’s a very small space and it’s really easy to suddenly have a laptop that doesn’t fit together like it used to.

I can keep a steady FPS if I drop my settings to low, my resolution to pretty low and play on full screen mode. But this shouldn’t be necessary for my hardware profile. I have noticed that OW is throwing an error in dxdiag immediately after having installed it after my clean installation of Windows. I need to do some more testing to see how far I can push the graphics before the fps problem pops up again. Even with all the stuff I did, it still runs just over 70C while playing.

Something else I wanted to mention, I’m not sure how this happened, but I a few days ago when I logged into OW, I noticed it was running a lil slower than normal. I checked my settings, and even though the graphics preset was set to low, nearly everything was set to the maximum setting. I didn’t do this, and I don’t know why that would have happened. Just something I wanted to point out.

I agree, you shouldn’t need to play on low settings on this machine. Nvidia did release a new driver a few days ago which addresses some laptop performance issues. Can you please try downloading/installing the latest driver and see if it helps?

I have installed the latest driver, I need to do more testing still on how far I can push the graphics before the issue starts happening again. I’ll check back in shortly.

Hadn’t heard back from you in a bit - how’re things looking? Let us know if you need more help!

So sorry, I was away for a bit for the holidays. I’ll report back later today.

EDIT: Ok so after a few hours of testing, this is what I’ve come to. In fullscreen, I was able to get up to High settings preset with no issues. The frame loss issue started happening at Ultra settings. The FPS was steady until it hit that same drop where it would go to like 30 FPS suddenly. It took about 5 minutes into the first game for it to happen.

On windowed mode, I could play up to Medium settings without issue. The FPS started happening when I moved to high settings. This might also be due to me using a different resolution for the game than I use for my desktop. If you want me to try playing on my native resolution in-game, I can try that as well. Although, I don’t think that’s the issue.

If you need anymore testing, let me know, I’m more than happy to oblige.

Daimyon,

I would actually recommend matching resolution, however, that sounds like vertical sync behavior. Vertical Sync (Vsync) basically turns on any time your FPS falls below your monitor’s refresh rate (60hz) to avoid screen tearing. You can try disabling VSync and/or any GSync settings you may be running to see if it improves things, but I suspect it’ll just mean you get slightly better FPS numbers when you fall below 60 FPS, which shouldn’t be happening on this rig when you’re playing at low settings.

If these two don’t help you may need a PC tech to peek at your hardware. By all rights, especially in the winter, especially at low settings, you should be able to keep your components cooler than you are. I suspect something’s wrong with the fan for your CPU or the thermal paste since even a cooling pad isn’t getting those temps down.

I tried disabling vsync and got some pretty bad screen tearing, so that’s not an option. I’ll try doing windowed mode matching resolution and check back in.

EDIT: Ok, so I did some testing with playing in Widowed mode while matching my resolution to my native desktop resolution, and I get the same FPS drops after awhile. My temp isn’t showing anything higher than I get when I play on fullscreen mode.