Need some help on offtank visuals

none of those, if what you’re aiming at is a general perception of the role you shouldn’t use specific hero icons but something more broad but for offtanks… the concept is so flawed that there’s barely anything that conveys what the role would be, you’d think bruiser would be better suited for an icon where you could use a punch or something like that, however that could be more related to attack than defense, so… you have to first define what you want to represent and then you pick the appropriate icon

1 Like

D.Va is better, but I think you could use like a Mech better, so that D.Va’s face isn’t this role icon.
You could also mix like the hook and the mech or something like that.

What about a Mini Gun?

Oh I get it, off tank. lol

That is a fair point.

I change my feedback to the Hook, following MoreHeroes.

Neither, because we don’t need them in their own category.

Ideally, running two off tanks and not having it be godawful should be the goal in the balance philosophy. And it’s certainly possible for that to work out, we just need more tanks without full-on barriers to help round out the possibilities.

Also, there’s definitely a case to be made for running Hog Zarya into a dive comp if you also run good supports and damage to bolster chances.

I think a hook and shield would be a nice middle ground, or shield with bullets on it? Kinda showing the basic concept on first look.

Make it the tank shield with the support cross in it.

I think the balance changes needed to make that happen would kinda rip the game apart.

Versus “BarrierTank don’t have as many options, but they are all Reinhardt tier options”. Plus here’s a laundry list of buffs.

Not really, because again just having more tanks without barriers that work well with each other would do the trick

Two of the offtank combos we have now honestly work pretty well together.

-Hog Zarya for heavy bruising, good for koth maps

-Zarya D.va for great damage, more blocking potential for ultimates, and more utility. D.va and Zarya can utilize their individual defensive capabilities to sack quite a few ultimates

The issue with these combos though is that

1. They’re difficult to coordinate
  2. They don’t do defense very well

Besides those though, I think those combos are perfectly workable on the right maps against good matchups.

I think that it’s really confusing when people act like a raw number of options is the same as a bigger number of viable options.

Much less hold out the idea that we can’t fix the number one problem in the game until the devs do something that isn’t going to happen for the next 3 years at the soonest.

Much less that if this queue time problem isn’t solved by the time OW2 comes out in about the next 6 months, they the entire game franchise is dead.
(Or how it would be even better if it was solved before Valorant launches in about the next 2 months)

How would adding a second, necessary for the game to start, queue option for the least played role help queue times at all? That’s completely nonsensical.

People ain’t gonna just start queuing for tank because they’re “guaranteed” to be the off tank. People are already guarenteed that ability, and I highly doubt they care about the cost if they’re willing to run two offtanks in the first place.

More raw options will garner more favor from the playerbase. Again, from the willingness to even run “trash” comps, I don’t think people care about the number of “viable” comps. People like variety.

How about I explain it simply:

• 1-3-2 games with 1x optional offtank coming from the 3xDPS
  • The majority of the benefit to queue times comes from the assumption you’re going to have more 1-3-2 games than you have 2-2-2 games.
  • The rest of it comes by making it really simple to buff BarrierTanks, without it being unbalanced.

We’re really gonna end up with a 1-1-2-1-1 (Tank, Off-Tank, DPS, Main-healer, Off-Healer) setup aren’t we?

Meh, that idea sounds super bleh

You’d basically be banishing off tanks and forcing tank players to solo since, again, it’s the smallest part of the playerbase and few people are going to willingly choose a tank over a dps.

I think the best options to solve queue time issues will be

-More tanks and supports to choose from

-Solo tank, triple dps structure

-What they are already doing and have open queue just be a separate, permanent game mode

Those options are all simple to implement, and easier to balance around than what you’re suggesting.

Simpler to implement.
Nowhere near as easy to balance around.

A little complexity on the backend is fine.
But the frontend is just “there’s an extra button on role queue”

I feel like Kinetic grasp / Defense matrix / Projected bubble icons are better to represent off tanks

The double hook screams bruisers to me

Although im very against this idea for role queue

Well in this context. It would be formalized as

Tank = Rein, Sigma, Orisa, Winston
Bruiser = Roadhog, Zarya, Hammond, D.va, Mei

The problem is that we need more tanks, not less

The reality is that’s not going to even begin to happen for the next half year, and we want this problem fixed in the next 2-3 months